Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Tales about 8x50R lebel "D" or "N" chamber

Boolit Man

Tales about 8x50R lebel "D" or "N" chamber

I've read everywhere a lot of silly things about this venerable round starting from Lee who makes dies focused on .323 bullets and ending with people who say they shoot .323 mauser bullets with great accuracy in a .327-329 bored barrel.
    If you take a look at the original french drawings you'll notice that the solid brass D bullet is a stepped one like .22 lr i.e. it has two diameters: .327 for the portion protruding from the case and .320 for the portion inside the neck while "N" bullet is a conventional .327 boat tail. Consequently the neck area in the chamber is bigger than the one of D chamber, just the thickness of the neck.
    Until now I've reloaded only for my mousqueton Berthier 92/16 with its N chamber with no problem with .327 Partizan bullets(except for reworking Lee dies) seated with correct OAL, but yesterday I've got my Remington RB 1914 fortunately unmessed thus with D chamber. Until few months ago in France there were a lot of original WWI era D solid brass bullets but now the source is dry.
    Crawling in the web I saw someone advertising 8 lebel PPU rounds loaded with Partizan D bullets. I couldn't believe it Click image for larger version. 

Name:	balle D.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	223102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	balle N.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	223103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	balles lebel.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	223104so I assembled a virgin PPU brass with one usual .327 PPU bullet And I had the surprise to see the round enter easily in that D chamber. Then I realized the Partizan trick: not a stepped bullet but a two diameters bullet separated by the crimping groove: if you crimp the bullet at the crimping groove you'd get a "D" ammo but if you would seat the bullet more deep you'll enlarge the neck and you'll have an "N" round. Pure genius.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    So, the D bullet is basically a heeled projectile? I have a Lebel shortened by the French, circa 1935 and have never fired it. When I get around to it this is good information to have and I'll check the neck clearances carefully. Thank you!

We have to remember that France developed and was the first to use smokeless powders, so they entered an unknown field. As a result, some of their designs seem unusual to us today but they're still fascinating.

Boolit Man
    Yes, if you have a D chamber use strictly Partizan .327 bullets and be sure to crimp the neck around its cannelure for a 2.87"OAL .
    Being your rifle a 1935 reworked, chances are strong you have an "N" chamber. If so you have a capital N punched on the barrel and on the top of receiver then you have to seat the same bullet deeper for 2.72" OAL. In any case you have to Cerrosafe your chamber and modify Lee dies according to your chamber dimensions.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I just checked the rifle, and it indeed has an "N" stamped on the barrel right at the action. Due to your post and information I have a much better idea of what reloading will entail. Thanks again!

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=3006guns;4403804]I just checked the rifle, and it indeed has an "N" stamped on the barrel right at the action. Due to your post and information I have a much better idea of what reloading will entail. Thanks again![/
    Last edited by danyboy; 01-08-2024 at 02:17 PM.

The odd cartridge is what kept me from buying a Mannlicher/Berthier “Turkish Forestry” carbine from Springfield Sporters back in the day.
    Of course that was before Privi rode in like the Calvary!
    They have rescued those Lebels, Carcanos,Mas, and others from obsolete status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk