RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: for those with limited shop/bench space

Boolit Bub

for those with limited shop/bench space

and who doesnt have that problem *grins*
    seems no matter how big or how many shops Ive got 10 days later its too small.
    anyway I digress,
    Im new here and to reloading so I dont know if this is commen practice but I found this in "Precision Handloading" by John Withers and it struck me as so dang smart and handy I had to share in case others like me are like * jeez there ya go!*

he blocks his tooling bases and uses his heavy duty bench vice to mount what he needs, when he needs it.
    frikken genius
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	viceblock.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	223081

Boolit Master

I use the inline fabrication quick change system with 2 bases, can mix and match to whatever project I am working on.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I have my case trimmer mounted on a piece of plywood. When I need it, I just clamp it to the bench. When I don’t I just put it on a shelf.

Boolit Master
    I do the same, also mount presses to Inline Fabrication bases so I can hang them on the wall when not in use. The stuff seems expensive, but considering the cost of adding more space they are a bargain.

I have 3 vises mounted to my bench, different sizes and jaws.

Boolit Bub
    These are good ideas. I use a piece of butcher block left from my kitchen remodel. Then secure them with a web strap to a bench.

Boolit Master
    I have two trimmers, both mounted on wood blocks that are put in a vise when needed. My main press is mounted on a wooden board, that is bolted to the bench. T-nuts on the underside of the bench, so all I have to do is unscrew the bolts from the top, should I need more bench space. My shotshell reloader is mounted on a piece of plywood, rubber feet on the corners, it can be used on any flat surface. No slipping or scratching

Boolit Master
    I put the Lee C-frame for decapping/power drop, a Herters for sizing and an RCBS Explorer for seating on a 18x15 3/8 plate. C-clamps hold it down and I can move it.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

I use t-nuts under the bench top with t-knob bolt on top to secure a trimmer or a bench primer. I also made a powder measure stand that simultaneously holds 5 PMs. This also reduces the amount of storage space required by keeping them ready to go up on the bench top!
    "An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out." Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    All of my presses and lubesizers are on Pat Marlin RockDOCKs. Changeover takes 30 seconds.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

For me, the various reloading devices like the trimmer and the powder dispenser are all clamped to the bench and removed and stored after each session. Some need to be affixed to small plywood bases and some don't.

The only exception is the Rockchucker press. This is bolted to a piece of 2x8. There are 2 clamps affixing the base to the bench in the front. For stability, there's a 1/4 inch hole drilled through the 2x8 base on the rear and through the bench with an eye bolt cinching it to the bench. I just leave the press in place on the bench. But there's no more or larger holes drilled in the bench, and the set-up is as solid as a rock.

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Buddy
    I've got T-track system on my bench and all my presses are mounted on pieces of plywood, same as swager and trimmers that way I can move all my equipment in and out of working area. Unused presses are stored on different table (or under)

When we were kids, my Brother and I had our presses mounted on sections of 4x4. A rack in our closet was where they were kept in storage and we would clamp them in our Fathers bench vise for use.

We didn’t thing about the setup your photo has cut into the wood. We use the 4x4 because the bottom would ride on the slide of the vise while the top was clamped by the jaws.

Boolit Grand Master

for those with limited shop/bench space

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    I use the inline fabrication quick change system with 2 bases, can mix and match to whatever project I am working on.
    Same here. I have them on the small bench in the basement and the bigger on in the garage. I also have a lot of tools that are screwed to wood blocks. They’re then clamped to the bench when I need to use them. Nothing on my benches is permanently mounted. Even the Inline mounts are mounted w/ wing nuts so I can pull them off quickly. Which I have to do on the large bench when I want to clean a rifle.

Boolit Bub
    great stuff everyone! some really excellent ideas here.

I use the socket and plate method. Store machines/tools not in use under the bench. I'm sure somebody with actual wood working skill could do a much better job but this gets the job done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bench_socket1.resized.jpg   bench_socket2.resized.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I have an RCBS base plate with the tapped holes for their products. Except for the lubrisizer, which sits on a tapped Lyman heater....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned
    I've been using the bench top "plug" method for years.

Attachment 223158Attachment 223159Attachment 223160

Some tools that are frequently used are permanently mounted to the bench. Other tools/machines are bolted to removable "plugs" and stored on a shelf until needed.

I use a Patmarlin RockDocker (advertiser) with various adaptor plates for my (3) RCBS LAM and a Lyman lube sizers and my case trimmer. They work great and takes care of my bench space limitations.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been looking at the breech lock system and adapting it to a quick bench mount system. The press bushing mounted in the bench top, and the inserts used to mount low stress items with a quick 1/4 turn. Case trimmers, powder measures, various uniformers and other tools. With crank powered tools the tool could be raised a few inches from the bench to save bumped knuckles even

Boolit Master
    Ditto on Inline Fab quick change. I have three bases so I can run three items at once. Mix, match, and move at will!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast