MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: New S&W 57-6 is JUNK

Two different styles of screws that I've seen. Pretty sure there was a third style with a straight pin.

If the gun has a V shaped groove in the yoke, then it takes the V shaped spring loaded screw.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    It's a sad state when a gun company can't make a quality product.

Years ago (1940's) Ford Motor Co. was making one B-24 flying fortress every 63 min. and every one flew.
    They served in three theaters of war.

And now our manufacturing plants can not make a revolver that will stay together.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Well, on the other hand, imagine that this was someones' self-defense weapon, and after one cylinder fired they had to reload - And the cylinder fell out like that. There're REASONS we ask for perfection, another reason being that if the gun blows up in our face it's going to HURT. Neither of those two possible outcomes is acceptable to any of us, I suspect?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Well, on the other hand, imagine that this was someones' self-defense weapon, and after one cylinder fired they had to reload - And the cylinder fell out like that. There're REASONS we ask for perfection, another reason being that if the gun blows up in our face it's going to HURT. Neither of those two possible outcomes is acceptable to any of us, I suspect?
    Exactly! Self-defense firearms manufacturers are producing products that must be 100% reliable due to the stakes being so high.

When Sig knowingly released a pistol that they knew had the potential to kill or wound the police officers and soldiers that accidentally dropped it, I lost any respect I had for that company.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, I recognize that spring loaded screw from the first gun. I had no idea until now it was spring loaded though. The second gun is already on its way to Davidson's.

Boolit Master

My new S&W M&P40c arrived today and so far, appears to be perfect. This thread and my previous S&W purchase had me nervous.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    My new S&W M&P40c arrived today and so far, appears to be perfect. This thread and my previous S&W purchase had me nervous.
    That's good, I haven't heard all that much bad about their semi-auto's.

Boolit Master
    I've read the finish on the NEW revolvers is junk. This is scary and sad. I am a S&W man and can't understand why they would let this by.

Boolit Master

My new M&P40c is not perfect. Initial range testing at 25yds provided horrific 5-shot groups of 9" using Hornady Critical Defense ammo. My reloads shrunk it down to 4". Still not acceptable, to me.

I ordered a new S&W factory barrel from Midway to see if that helped and it arrived in the factory sealed packaging rusted. S&W is no longer a viable manufacturer to me at least.

Attachment 229672

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    So would people say you should expect MORE quality from a current production Smith and Wesson revolver then you should expect from Taurus?
    I know my new Taurus G2c that I bought for $199 has just as good fit and finish as my M&P and is more accurate...

Attachment 229673

Of course, the trigger is awful and the slide finish is weak. But at half the price of a S&W...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    im just curious because with my tuarus revolver the only issues I have with it are the rear sight blade did not come with a white outline, front sight no paint on it, grips were rather oiled up from shipping and took a lot of soapy water to get to "slightly tacky". and the cylinder release screw comes loose after a while.

I think all the companies have taken a hit in service, finish, and overall customer happiness.
    Maybe a little, but Smith and Wesson is a train wreck. Monday they had called the store I had originally bought the gun from and was wondering why it had been sent back. Remember the original gun had been sent back to S&W, TWICE, first back in july, transferred to another FFL and sent to S&W, then exchanged, then exchanged again. Now it's a month later, the guns for sale, and S&W is just now wondering what's up with the original gun and called the wrong FFL? Now I'm confused, that FFL is confused. They have a bunch of monkeys running the show.

I've got hunting to do, but I'm looking for a Ruger Redhawk 5.5" blued 44 mag, 41 mag if it comes up. Maybe after a bankruptcy, and 15 years I'll try S&W again.

I have a M57 I bought new in the 70s. It shot OK, but nothing to brag about. A friend suggested we check the crown. He started in with his crown cutter, and he took at least 1/16 off one edge of the crown before the cutter touched the other side. Now it shoots like I always wanted it to. Even the old ones weren't always right.

A friend brought me his new M69 5-shot .44 that he bought to carry while gold panning in Alaska. The cylinder throats gauge .429 exactly, and the bore slugs .431 to .432. I was going to load some light cast boolit loads for him, but it hardly seems worth the effort. I suppose this was done to hold down pressure, assuming they really have any control over the dimensions. I'm starting to wonder.

Boolit Master
    'I've got hunting to do, but I'm looking for a Ruger Redhawk 5.5" blued 44 mag, 41 mag if it comes up. Maybe after a bankruptcy, and 15 years I'll try S&W again."

Too bad as there was a 5.5" blue Redhawk that sold on GunBroker...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/788826668

Haven't seen a blue one i a long time...but the stainless ones come up pretty often...

Boolit Grand Master

That was a good deal on that Redhawk for someone

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567