Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New S&W 57-6 is JUNK

Boolit Master
    Wow, so sorry that you are going through this turmoil. Those employees must be desensitized that how much theirs guns cost the consumers. Would they personally put up with such ambivalence?

I concur with with others, my older S&W’s shoot great. For the past 20 years I have only bought used ones because I absolutely will not support any gun company that resides in an anti gun state. They should pick up shop and move just like Beretta did. It’s insane that any gun company would support a state that despises them.

That’s why I never bought a new Rohrbaugh when they were in business and in New York. It’s also why I haven’t bought a Kimber in 20 years. I used to be a HUGE supporter of them, another New York company, but no more.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Grand Master

Got the gun back today. Paul assured me the target was in the case. Here is what I got.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0924181309.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	227711

Sorry if it's upside down. It's not out of focus, that's how it came. It's a copy on office paper, no mention of ammo used, how many shots, nothing. The best I can tell, it's a 3 shot group about 2", maybe a little bigger. Maybe? How can you even tell?

Also notice the date. It took them that long to get it back to me.

I took it to the range with the ammo I've been waiting to try. On the first target you will see circled in orarnge Hornady 210 gr factory load, best group this gun has ever shot. That's 5 shots for about 3 3/8" . Circled in black is Federal 210 JHP, about 4 1/2". On the bottom was a handload with a Lee 195 grain SWC over Unique. I didn't bother to measure that one. The second target is the load that will group 3" or less at 50 yards in my dads model 57 (built in the early 80's), provided I do my part. It is a 225 grain SWC (keith copy) over bluedot. That shot 4 5/8" from this gun. All shots were at 25 yards off sandbags. This is typical of what I've seen, that group with the Hornady is the best yet, still not even close to acceptable for hunting though.

Name:	0924181304.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	227712

Name:	0924181303.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	227713

On top of that, they sent my gun back with a barrel fouled with lead again. It wasn't end to end this time, but I still had to get out the lewis lead remover before shooting it.

I tried calling Paul, no answer again.

Boolit Grand Master

Did you ever call Davidson’s?

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    the revolver was perfected about 100 years ago all they have done since is figure out how to make them cheaper.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Did you ever call Davidson’s?
    I did, but decided to give S&W their second chance. I'll see if they will still do the exchange.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I did, but decided to give S&W their second chance. I'll see if they will still do the exchange.

With the abysmal accuracy, that’s the route I would take. Unless you wanted to send it to a smith for a new Douglas barrel or similar.

Boolit Grand Master

I called Davidson's, they sure are nice to deal with. I dropped the gun off at the FFL, and they should do the exchange soon enough. It will be a long time before I consider buying another Smith and Wesson, but I will keep buying from gallery of guns for sure. At this rate I'll get a brand new gun before Paul even calls me back. I left him a message again. S&W need to get their head out of their rear ends. They sure made a loyal Ruger fan out of me.

I hope you have better luck with the new one. I have been wanting a 625 in 45acp but stories like this make me cringe at the thought of getting one that wont hit a bull in the butt. I sent a model 24 back because it was inaccurate (.428 throats) and they said it was within spec. Like Red Bear said, "all they have done is figure out how to make them cheaper"....if you call $900 cheap.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

I've long held the opinion that the saying "you get what you pay for" is not true. I also differentiate between the words cheap and inexpensive. I love inexpensive guns, but I don't like cheap ones. Smith and Wesson is expensive and cheap.

Besides thinking 3" at 25 yards is ok for a hunting gun, the second most disturbing part of this is that not once did someone at S&W ever pick up the phone. I either had to leave a message, or wait on hold for an outrageous amount of time.

If you buy Smith and Wesson, make sure you buy it from somewhere willing to exchange it.

Boolit Master
    I own 47 S&Ws...only three of which were made in this century and have them only because they weren't made before 2000....

As mega said...they made a loyal Ruger fan out of me...

I've long held the opinion that the saying "you get what you pay for" is not true. I also differentiate between the words cheap and inexpensive. I love inexpensive guns, but I don't like cheap ones. Smith and Wesson is expensive and cheap.

Besides thinking 3" at 25 yards is ok for a hunting gun, the second most disturbing part of this is that not once did someone at S&W ever pick up the phone. I either had to leave a message, or wait on hold for an outrageous amount of time.

If you buy Smith and Wesson, make sure you buy it from somewhere willing to exchange it.
    I used to think the same way and that's the reason I bought a S&W Shield 9mm. My KelTec PF9 will shoot circles around it even tho the trigger on the KelTec is awful. It shoots 15yd groups 1/2 as big as the Smith. I know that you don't buy a belly gun for tight groups but it doesn't hurt to have an accurate pistol. I didn't set out to bash S&W but they did this to themselves starting with the ridiculous hole in the frame of their revolvers. There is a good reason that older Smiths bring the money they do.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

I'll take some blame there. I asked before I bought this one, why do the older ones cost sometimes $500 MORE than brand new. People told me the older ones were better. I figured it was some kind of nostalgia thing with the hammer mounted firing pin and no internal lock or something. NOPE, the new ones just have a high rate of failure, and no factory support when you get a lemon.

Boolit Master
    Customer service no longer exists. Some ask, do they desensitize people to other peoples concerns? No they are paid not to care. Look at the world around us, no shortage of people doing questionable things. And exactly the sort companies are looking for to answer phones. Those who actually provide help do not last long. They need people who will lie to you without a thought. Its all based on the math. If they sell 100 pistols, and only 5 complain, who cares. Look at century arms, as bad as they are, they are still in business.

I guess the shield is just that sort of gun, it aint me, its just not very accurate. But like a snubnose 38, guess they figure who wants accuracy? And the few who complain, oh well. They can spend the cash to improve the guns to appease that small sliver of customers, or just not care if you buy it.

Glad Davidson’s is taking care of you but I got some bad news. You can get poor ones from any of the makers. You just got unlucky with the gun and the customer service people! I-have a 57-6 that shoots great and I have had good customer service with Smith so you cannot make broad generalizations accurately. But I understand how you feel after a bad experience . I had a horrible experience with a Ford 6 liter diesel and swore off fords and now have ram with a Cummins .
    A Ruger redhawk 41 is on my short list as well but if you read the forums, people have problems with those too. I do hear rugers customer service is second to none.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll take some blame there. I asked before I bought this one, why do the older ones cost sometimes $500 MORE than brand new. People told me the older ones were better. I figured it was some kind of nostalgia thing with the hammer mounted firing pin and no internal lock or something. NOPE, the new ones just have a high rate of failure, and no factory support when you get a lemon.
    one thing is for sure. smith and wesson rate of lemon is higher than it has ever been. the number of shooters i hear complaining about lack of accuracy,bad timing,random chambers's diameter all around the barrel, bad spacing between barrel's face to frame, irregular riflings and whatnot is astounding....even ,some guns exiting their supposed performance center ,are far from perfect.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    Glad Davidson’s is taking care of you but I got some bad news. You can get poor ones from any of the makers. You just got unlucky with the gun and the customer service people! I-have a 57-6 that shoots great and I have had good customer service with Smith so you cannot make broad generalizations accurately. But I understand how you feel after a bad experience . I had a horrible experience with a Ford 6 liter diesel and swore off fords and now have ram with a Cummins .
    A Ruger redhawk 41 is on my short list as well but if you read the forums, people have problems with those too. I do hear rugers customer service is second to none.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No doubt about it, but I've got I think 5 ruger revolvers, family members have countless others. I can't think of one time they had a problem. The worst I had was a fixed sight LCR that shot to the right, quick phone call and a week and a half later I got it back, problem solved. This 57-6 has had two chances now over 3-4 months with multiple people, even a letter to the head of customer service, and they still can't get it right. That's not a fluke, they just plain blow. Even now, I'm still waiting for a call back from Paul Remore (If I'm spelling that right), I've left two messages now.

And the Ford 6.0 power stroke diesel did suck. Guys talk about how to fix them... or you can just buy something else that actually works like you did.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 09-26-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    You can swear by Rugers if that is your belief based on your experience, but 3 out of 6 Rugers purchased by me between 2012 and 2017 had to go back. My 308 Ruger American would not even chamber a 308 round . The difference between S&W and Ruger lies in the customer service. Ruger is far better, but then, they have to be to stay in business.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Just confirmed, I will be getting a brand new handgun, and it will be here early next week. I have to pay shipping, which is completely reasonable. That ladies and gentleman, is service!

Still no answer with Paul. It looks like I'll have to write another letter to let them know how screwed up the customer service is. Maybe addressed to "President of Smith and Wesson"?

Boolit Grand Master
    I haven't gambled on a new S&W so far. My newest example of that make is about 20 years old, and the second-newest was made c. 1990. Both are superb sidearms.

My view is that to a large degree S&W has lost its way, and this is not the first time the company has done so. At the prices being asked for their revolvers, I think a customer has a right to expect a reliable, accurate, and mechanically-sound wheelgun. In too many instances, S&W has failed miserably to meet this standard. I am not going to gamble $1000 on a new S&W revolver--I will find an older example built correctly, or (more likely) buy a Ruger revolver and finish building it if necessary.

I am hoping that the O/P's replacement revolver is a decent example.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Let us know how the new one shoots and glad Davidson’s was easy to deal with

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast