WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyStainLess Steel MediaGraf & Sons
Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 127

Thread: New S&W 57-6 is JUNK

  1. #101
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    838
    I picked up the new gun today. If it's just light rain tomorrow, I'll go and shoot it, but it looks like it may be pouring for the next two days. I looked this one over very carefully. The last one must have been built 4:28 Friday afternoon. This new one the stamp is straight, no strange scratches on the muzzle, the cylinder locks up surprisingly tight. I'll run a cleaning rod through it when I get home, but I can't see any telltale of the strange ring in the barrel the last one had. I measured the cylinder throats, they are a tight .410", just like the last one. What I mean is a .410" pin gauge fits with light resistance, but would fall through from gravity, a .411" will not even start. I did not slug the bore yet, but I will be shooting factory ammo until I confirm this one is capable of accuracy. The rifling must be deep. A .399" pin gauge fits very snug in the muzzle, but will not pass. A .398" will fit, and slide clear through the barrel. No thread choke, thankfully. I'm happy, this one is clearly built better than the last. I never did get a call back from Paul, he knows he messed up.

  2. #102
    Moderator



    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,067
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I picked up the new gun today. If it's just light rain tomorrow, I'll go and shoot it, but it looks like it may be pouring for the next two days. I looked this one over very carefully. The last one must have been built 4:28 Friday afternoon. This new one the stamp is straight, no strange scratches on the muzzle, the cylinder locks up surprisingly tight. I'll run a cleaning rod through it when I get home, but I can't see any telltale of the strange ring in the barrel the last one had. I measured the cylinder throats, they are a tight .410", just like the last one. What I mean is a .410" pin gauge fits with light resistance, but would fall through from gravity, a .411" will not even start. I did not slug the bore yet, but I will be shooting factory ammo until I confirm this one is capable of accuracy. The rifling must be deep. A .399" pin gauge fits very snug in the muzzle, but will not pass. A .398" will fit, and slide clear through the barrel. No thread choke, thankfully. I'm happy, this one is clearly built better than the last. I never did get a call back from Paul, he knows he messed up.
    Glad Davidson’s came through for you! Let us know how it shoots.

  3. #103
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    838
    It was raining, but I went anyway. I was shooting Federal 210 grain JHP factory ammo. The first 6 shot were from an oiled bore at 25 yards, went into about 2.5". I tried some Lee 195 grain SWC and Unique, but I think they are too undersized. The first three shots were touching, then the next 3 were flyers. There is mild leading in the bore. The next 6 shots with the Federal's were on the same paper as the SWC's, and they either went about 1.5" or 2". I couldn't make out which holes were which. I was reasonably pleased, and tried the final 8 shots at 50 yards. I was very happy to find 8 shots right at 3". That's about as good as any handgun I have shoots. Nothing wrong with this gun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1009181216.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	228525

  4. #104
    Moderator



    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,067
    That’s some fine shooting with iron sights at 50 yards in my book. Glad you got a good one.

    My go to load for 41 Mag is 7gr 231 and any 210-230gr boolit. This has worked well in all my 41 wheelguns

  5. #105
    Boolit Buddy



    Idaho45guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Idaho/Washington border
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Customer service no longer exists. Some ask, do they desensitize people to other peoples concerns? No they are paid not to care. Look at the world around us, no shortage of people doing questionable things. And exactly the sort companies are looking for to answer phones. Those who actually provide help do not last long. They need people who will lie to you without a thought. Its all based on the math. If they sell 100 pistols, and only 5 complain, who cares. Look at century arms, as bad as they are, they are still in business.

    I guess the shield is just that sort of gun, it aint me, its just not very accurate. But like a snubnose 38, guess they figure who wants accuracy? And the few who complain, oh well. They can spend the cash to improve the guns to appease that small sliver of customers, or just not care if you buy it.
    My Shield purchased two years ago was the PC 9mm version and grouped about 12" at 25yds.
    Inspected the barrel and it had a disturbing flaw.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160910_123402659_HDR.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	228544
    Called S&W and got the run around. Finally agreed to look at it. Took them two months to return it, dirty, with a different barrel with a Nick in the crown.

    Swore off S&W for awhile. Just ordered an M&P40 Compact with night sights for under $300. Hopefully it will not be a lemon.

    If S&W screws me again, then the gloves are off.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

  6. #106
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    838
    I got home today, and tried to oil the gun. I ran a couple oil patches down the bore, and noticed a bad rattle. I turned it over, and the cylinder came off in my hands.

    You have got to be ****ting me, for ****s sake Smith and Wesson, can't you guys put together a dang firearm!!!

    This gun has 26 rounds through it. Maybe try davidson's for another replacement, and just sell it right away? Even if the 3rd one is good, I'll never trust it again.

    I did not remove the screw, the cylinder just fell out the front. In the second picture you can see the ding, the screw must be too short.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	problem1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	228553

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	problem2.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	228554

  7. #107
    Boolit Buddy



    Idaho45guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Idaho/Washington border
    Posts
    613
    Wow! Was S&W bought out by Remington??
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

  8. #108
    Boolit Buddy glockfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    partly VT,partly canada
    Posts
    428
    omg!!!

    smith and wesson? never again.

  9. #109
    Boolit Buddy slughammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    612
    "I did not remove the screw, the cylinder just fell out the front. In the second picture you can see the ding, the screw must be too short."

    That screw is probably the new style with a spring loaded plunger. (Doesn't require any fitting from them). I popped the yoke from my "Classic Series" Model 18. IIRC S&W sent me a new screw. (I don't remember if that fixed it or if I did something else. It's been a few years.)
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

  10. #110
    Boolit Master
    lefty o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Wow! Was S&W bought out by Remington??
    even remingturd isnt that bad. lol sorry for the OP, if a company can t get it right the majority of the time they should just close the doors.

  11. #111
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Alabama Gods land
    Posts
    113
    Unbelievable ! Check the spring loaded screw but that is pathetic

  12. #112
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    838
    At least it will be 100% out of my life now. I dropped it off at the gun shop, and a new one will be here soon enough.

    I won't even shoot the new one. There might be just enough time, I can sell it to someone wanting to use it deer hunting. NIB, with an extra set of Altamont grips, I hope it sells fast.

    I'm not sure what to do with the custom Herret grips. Either put them on a shelf to forget, or maybe a Christmas gift. I should call them to see if maybe they would give me a discount on another set if I return this one.

  13. #113
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    Unbelievable ! Check the spring loaded screw but that is pathetic
    I don't remember the screw being spring loaded. The only thing holding the cylinder crane on is the one screw above the trigger. It has a stud that I would think should stick a good ways into that groove. The picture makes the scratch look deeper than it is, I'm not kidding, there was only a hair holding that thing on. A box of ammo was all it took to wreck it. The screw wasn't loose either. I didn't take it out. I just put my cleaning rod away, put the frame and cylinder pieces in the plastic box, and today took it straight to the store. I've had enough.

  14. #114
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Alabama Gods land
    Posts
    113
    Horrible luck although the problem was likely just a defective plunger loaded side plate screw. A simple fix but not one you should have perform on a new gun. I understand your frustration. I have a new performance center gun I am sending back for issues next week but most of the smiths I have purchased in the last few years have been fine. We will see if they give me the run around like you. I think all the manufacturers are weak on quality control. I read a lot of problems with Ruger too.But to be honest , I remember a bunch of problems back in 1970s and 1980s too and I have a lot from those eras so I think this is nothing new. I think nostalgia clouds our memory’s and we forget all the problems that were there in earlier times. I am not happy but at least ok if the manufacturers make it right.

  15. #115
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NH
    Posts
    461
    I have been following this and it is really a sad story.... I was even about to tell you not to shoot the one you picked up and dump it but was too late... #3 will apparently be going down the road. Wonder what Davidson's does with all their returns like this...

    If you really want a S&W .41 Magnum, find a clean used one... There are lots of them out there that have few rounds through them that come up for sale on the auction sites all the time. I have 57s, 58s and 657s made from 1964 to 1999 and all are fantastic shooters...

    Bob

  16. #116
    Moderator



    JonB_in_Glencoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    10,754
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    Horrible luck although the problem was likely just a defective plunger loaded side plate screw. A simple fix but not one you should have perform on a new gun. I understand your frustration. I have a new performance center gun I am sending back for issues next week but most of the smiths I have purchased in the last few years have been fine. We will see if they give me the run around like you. I think all the manufacturers are weak on quality control. I read a lot of problems with Ruger too.But to be honest , I remember a bunch of problems back in 1970s and 1980s too and I have a lot from those eras so I think this is nothing new. I think nostalgia clouds our memory’s and we forget all the problems that were there in earlier times. I am not happy but at least ok if the manufacturers make it right.
    Some years ago, I bought a unfired S&W Model 25-3 125th Anniversary Commemorative in presentation box (made in 1977?), 45 colt. It was beautiful, but had WAAAAY oversized throats, like .455 and they each varied more than they should. I re-sold it soon after finding that out.

  17. #117
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    838
    I'm sure it was just a screw. I kind of wish I had asked for repair instead, as this one shot well. I really hope the person who buys the next gets a good one. I'm willing to take a hit at this point just to get rid of it. Nobody I know was interested so far. I'll post it online when I have it in hand.

    I still think the old 57's are overpriced. It's clear to me it's worth it now, but I'm not about to drop that kind of money when just a little more I can have a custom built. I've got one mold for 41, 2 for 44, and reload for both. If I decide to go 44 mag, It would more than likely be the blued 5.5" redhawk. I've come to prefer the 41 mag though. More than likely the next one will be the 6.5" Blackhawk.

  18. #118
    Moderator



    JonB_in_Glencoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    10,754
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    SNIP...

    I still think the old 57's are overpriced.
    I agree, and am glad the two I own were purchased when they were valued under $1k
    BUT...Be patient, while I don't think the 'online' prices will go down much for older nice 57 and 657 and 58,
    I do think, that since there is a GOP president and there are less people buying any guns in general, and since 41s have a smaller audience to begin with, I bet you are likely to find a deal at a gunshow or smaller gun shop that consigns, the deals are out there, but you gotta search, and it may take a while. Last month at the Hutchinson gunshow, I was 5 minutes late for a Nice looking older Mod 10, priced at $438, I watched the buyer offer $400 and get it from a private seller.

  19. #119
    Boolit Buddy bosterr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Western Pa.
    Posts
    487
    When I saw your pic of the crane and especially where the screw engages it, I knew it looked different than any of my S&W's. I removed the crane and cylinder from one of my 686s. Mine has a groove cut the entire diameter where the screw engages it. Yours looks like it has a slot milled into it. That may not mean a thing, but could be an effort of the bean counters to save a nickel in the process in machining. The screw in my guns have an un-threaded portion at the tip that engages said groove. Is it possible the slot isn't quite where it needed to be and sheared off the end of the screw and allow the crane to slide off? I've bought these crane screws from Brownells in the past. Is your return process too far along to think about just replacing the screw that could be too short? I thought your target with the second gun was pretty good and maybe it's a keeper.

  20. #120
    Boolit Master

    alamogunr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,304
    Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    When I saw your pic of the crane and especially where the screw engages it, I knew it looked different than any of my S&W's. I removed the crane and cylinder from one of my 686s. Mine has a groove cut the entire diameter where the screw engages it. Yours looks like it has a slot milled into it. That may not mean a thing, but could be an effort of the bean counters to save a nickel in the process in machining. The screw in my guns have an un-threaded portion at the tip that engages said groove. Is it possible the slot isn't quite where it needed to be and sheared off the end of the screw and allow the crane to slide off? I've bought these crane screws from Brownells in the past. Is your return process too far along to think about just replacing the screw that could be too short? I thought your target with the second gun was pretty good and maybe it's a keeper.
    I see this(highlight) statement all the time on firearm sites. I worked as a manufacturing engineer for almost my whole career and never had any input from accounting(bean counters) on such things. We were always encouraged to try different processes to save $$, but never forced. Over the years I can remember a few mistakes being made in processes but they were almost always discovered in testing. I had one get out and customers complained about it and we changed it immediately. That was one of the few times that we tried to save money without improving the product.

    Have we ever stopped to think that firearms manufacturers have a customer base that demands perfection at a cheap price?
    I'm not immune to this thinking either.
    John
    W.TN

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check