Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: 357 Magnum medium loads for Uberti SAA: 180gr w/ Black Powder substitute and Unique?

357 Magnum medium loads for Uberti SAA: 180gr w/ Black Powder substitute and Unique?

The goal is a nice medium 357 Magnum load. Something a little hotter than 38 +P.

What I was looking at was going outside the box and running one of these bullets.

http://missouribullet.com/details.ph...5&secondary=10

http://missouribullet.com/details.ph...5&secondary=10

Then for just plinking I was thinking about loading up the cases with some Triple 7 or maybe a load of 6.5-7gr of Unique.

I just wanted to ask here on some opinions. I was hoping for more of a big bore "push" rather than a snappy 158gr.

Boolit Master
    I would drop down to a lighter boolit, like maybe a155 or 160 gr. with the 6.5gr of Unique. That will be a nice medium load. Every day use fro me is that load.

What is concerning about the 180gr? Just curious

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    What is concerning about the 180gr? Just curious
    My feeling is that a 180gr boolit is not a medium load boolit, there is more recoil. Plus I don't find a Unique load for a 180 gr or even a 170 boolit in my newer Lyman books. That doesn't mean it can't be done it just means you are on your own as to guessing what to load using Unique.

Boolit Master

nice looking revolver.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 180 grain cast bullets in the 357 Magnum are intended for hunting venues where deep penetration on game species is desirable. It might be the single-best bullet weight for 357 Magnum rifles. In a handgun for sport shooting, you are taking on more recoil and possibly not shooting where the sights look with those fixed "blade & trough" apparatus on that fine-looking SAA repro. As said above, a 155-160 grain bullet might serve you better for the tasks at hand.

I have used Herco and Unique for my not-quite-357-but-more-than-38-+P loadings. Use 38 Special +P data and add 5% to that, AND ASSEMBLE IN 357 MAGNUM CASES. Standard small pistol primers do fine in these loadings. My loads give about 975-1000 FPS in a S&W Model 686 x 4".
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Thanks guys. I'm searching for around 1,000fps. But at the same time I wonder if I can get the same recoil with maybe 800fps with the 180grs.
    Last edited by Stopsign32v; 07-03-2018 at 10:18 PM.