MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoring the 510

Restoring the 510

A while back I picked up an early production 510 Remington .22 single shot.
    I've finally quit shooting it so I can restore it. Here is the before pics. Excuse my messy bench!
    70 years of dirt on the stock has to go first.
    Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    The Remington 500 series .22 rifles were considered "economy" rifles but can be remarkably accurate. Remington saved money here and there in the construction but they didn't skimp on the barrel. The barrels used in the Remington 500's were high quality and those guns can be excellent shooters.

Good Luck with your project and keep us updated on your progress.

All the internals and the bore condition is perfect. I managed to hit a dime with it the other day and I was tickled as a twelve-year-old. The front sight is bent a little bit starboard, sending the bullets a little bit to the right. Is there a safe way to straighten this sight or should I just replace it?

Banned
    You don't have much to lose by attempting to straighten it. I would try a brass punch and just gently tap it until I got the result I wanted. Support the barrel in a padded vise and go slow.
    If you break it, you've lost nothing and you just go to plan B and cut a dovetail slot for a replacement sight.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rem510Restore.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	224689Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PaulHuntingSquirrellsDSCF0022.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	224690

My youngest brother got a Rem510 with a cut down butt in the 1970s for $7 when he was a teeny bopper.
    When he was studying machining and welding in college, he TIG welded together a rear sight for it.
    Both he and I could hit the nail holding the target at 100 feet with Winchester power point ammo.
    When he reached 40 his eyes gave out. I drilled and tapped for Weaver bases and glued some Walnut on the butt.

We started collecting Remington 22s based on all the fun we had with that one original Rem 510.
    20 years ago we could get Rem 510s for $60 at gun shows. They are more like $180 now.
    The last 510 I got was a year ago at a pawn shop for $79 + $8 tax. made in 1945 with no serial number..... like I need another one

I think I'll buy every $100 or less one I see from here on out. I grew up on Dad's 511 so I think they are the best ba .22 ever. Their 2 lug action is strong, too.

Any 510, 11,12 or 13 I see for under 200$ comes home with me. Been that way for 5 years they are great rifles. Even have a 514 basket case, tho I'm not such a big fan of them it was too much of a lost puppy to leave where it was.

My wife's gong rifle is a 510 with aperture sights front and rear. We shoot offhand at a 200 yd. disk blade that is about 21 inches in diameter. She holds her own against me and my 513T. We consider 3x5 to be par for the course, but it seldom wins.

Quote Originally Posted by fourarmed View Post
    My wife's gong rifle is a 510 with aperture sights front and rear. We shoot offhand at a 200 yd. disk blade that is about 21 inches in diameter. She holds her own against me and my 513T. We consider 3x5 to be par for the course, but it seldom wins.
    We used to do this too! Of course if I missed I claimed the bullet went thru the hole in the middle of the disc......

Today I used oven cleaner, 00 steel wool & well water to clean & whisker the stock. It has some nice faint fiddleback in the forearm. I'll steam out the dents if I can.

The metal is too salt & pepper to sand down without molesting the stamps. So, I'm going to brown the metal and Tru-Oil the stock. Digging thru stuff, I found a GLASS bottle of good Tru-Oil. I wonder how old that is? Lots of carding and rubbing ahead. I'll quit calling it a restoration now.
    Thomas

Excuse the mess- oh hell, ya'll are family.

Boolit Master
    Bringing back an old one provides a lot of satisfaction. Nice looking finish on the stock!

Moderator Emeritus

Ain't nothin' mo' fun than an old single shot .22 that shoots straight, and a brick of ammo to go with it! This is really good work! And BTW, I prefer browning on those old guns anyway. Just looks more "natural" to my eyes.

It's as done as I want it. Charachter, you know
    I lost the rear tg screw; I'm going to have to clean off my bench....send help.
    Shots like this at 20 ft offhand is the gun's fault.

I've got it where I want it with my favorite .22 LR ammo. I had to knock the front sight around a bit. 20 yards sitting. Ready for bullfrogs and bushytails.

Boolit Master

That was a nice little project - it came out great. How long have you had that tru-oil? I haven't seen it in a glass bottle in many years.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

The Tru Oil came from a late friend's reloading stuff that his stepson brought over. It had been opened in the 1970's I think. I can't believe it is still good.
    I found some old Parker Hale swivels to install.

Boolit Master

Ok then. Must be like a fine wine or something.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

I'll bet everyone and his brother knows this one, but Tru Oil should be stood on the cap end after use, as the top of the liquid forms a crust. If stood on the cap end the crust will form inside the bottle and you won't get little chunks of it on your finger and into the finish. The stuff lasts almost forever with this precaution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast