RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: lightning and computers

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Wait, you reload + have a Ham Radio antenna farm AND an observatory? You need any help around the place? LOL

Moderator Emeritus

LOL plus a huge garden, a wood shop, enough stuff to do work on cars...

Sigh, if only you had a metal shop too, LOL That's a good start and lots to keep you busy!

Moderator Emeritus

Plus I brew beer...

Dark beer?

Boolit Master
    well am back. we are still with century-link. hughes net did not show up reschuled for Monday they did not show we called they said the installer was there and no body was home. I was working on the tractor all day in the driveway. find out the mex. did not even have the address even close.

Boolit Master
    No habla.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Dark beer?
    My ale is a brown ale... I have done some stouts..

Besides a UPS look into a whole house surge protector. The make devices that go on your incoming line that act like a old school fuse and sacrifice them selves in case of a surge. They have two or three legs so once it blows you can switch to another leg and get back up and running.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Mary, that'd do I'd think! Hmmmmm

Worst case you could use a device they used to use on CDC mainframes, among other things - You have a motor that drives a flywheel and an alternator; 60 Hz 240V in, and same out, with the added advantage that the output power won't have ANY chance of a lightning strike getting across that airgap from the motor to the alternator. It's not 100% efficient, but it's 100% safe, surge and lightning-wise.

Had a string of Christmas tree lights around my second story house in MS a couple of decades ago. Spring came, lightning hit it at front of house. Blew out over 2ft of the 2x8 rafter, ran along the lightstring, disintegrating it for over 50 ft, it then jumped to a telephone line that it was crossing (maybe 4-6" away), ran inside and killed phones answering machine and a couple of computers. Followed down the grounding rod at the phone box or it would have done more I expect. Nothing in the straight electrical side. Entered computer through modem. Was just over my deductable. And one of the reasons I don't buy Allstate insurance. Amazing stuff that lightning.

Moderator Emeritus

Worst strike I saw was to a TV antenna in a 3 story house that had been converted to 3 apartments. Hit the mast, jumped through the roof leaving a 2x2 foot hole and went to the bathroom copper pipes underneath blowing pipes apart on the third floor flooding everything below it. Copper had pinholes all the way to the water meter in the basement... the TV antenna cable ran down the side of the house and vaporized leaving copper splatter all over. No ground wire on the mast(owner installed wrong)...

Christmas Lights mention reminds me of a situation I know - Friend has Diabetes and bad Neuropathy and has had some bad incidents where he needs an Ambulance; They live in the STICKS. They leave their outdoor Christmas Lights up all year - That circuit is on a switch that has two positions, one is "On" the other is "Flash" (and there's an "Off" position so you might call it a 3 position switch.) When he needs an Ambulance, if it's at night, they turn the lights on on "Flash" and it makes the Ambulance finding their place a LOT easier!

Boolit Master
    when I was welding. when a storm came through all the weldors would lay down the leads and walk away. last place I worked a bad storm and all of us maintenance guys would spend a day or two replacing wires motors panel boxes and more.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    When I was in Navy Electricians school they said that electricity travels at a speed of 286,000 miles PER SECOND.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Banned

yup and picture a billion volts going that fast and if you think a 100 dollar arrestor is going to stop it ive got a bridge!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    When I was in Navy Electricians school they said that electricity travels at a speed of 286,000 miles PER SECOND.

Boolit Grand Master

The idea that that amount of energy can flow through a tiny copper wire at that speed is mind-boggling, but it's a fact we can't deny.
    While I understand the energy isn't contained within the wire, it follows its path like a train and its tracks.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Banned

that's kind of the way I was taught. Dc flows through the entire wire cross section and ac flows mostly on the surface but keep in mind that most wire is made by weaving many strands together to make one conductor and the current flows on each of the strands in the wire. Not just on the surface of the od of the wire. that's whey when they went away from solid copper for distribution lines in favor of aluminum that is less conductive they did it with multiple strands of wire surrounding a steel core for strength. Its called skin effect heres a definition (not mine) Skin effect[edit]

The skin effect decreases the cross sectional area in which the current travels through the conductor as AC frequency increases. For alternating current, most (63%) of the electric current flows between the surface and the skin depth, δ, which depends on the frequency of the current and the electrical (conductivity) and magnetic properties of the conductor. This decreased area causes the resistance to rise due to the inverse relationship between resistance and conductor cross sectional area. The skin effect benefits the design, as it causes the current to be concentrated towards the low-resistivity aluminum on the outside of the conductor. To illustrate the impact of the skin effect, the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standard includes the conductivity of the steel core when calculating the DC and AC resistance of the conductor, but the (IEC) and The CSA Group standards do not.
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    The idea that that amount of energy can flow through a tiny copper wire at that speed is mind-boggling, but it's a fact we can't deny.
    While I understand the energy isn't contained within the wire, it follows its path like a train and its tracks.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 07-17-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    yup and picture a billion volts going that fast and if you think a 100 dollar arrestor is going to stop it ive got a bridge!

Cell/TV/Radio towers take direct hits all the time and the surge suppressors stop it, this is a common spec on some: Max Surge 20 kA 8/20μs Waveform https://www.polyphaser.com/products/...on/is-b50hn-c2 They also make an 8MS EMP version(what I use on the back of the radios) with the other protector out in the grounding box so there is a double layer of protection.

Boolit Master

We have fiber-optic
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 07:17 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast