Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Federal's new primer technology

Banned
    We are in the process of making the tools and process of making our own primers because:
    Primers, being one of the components that are extremely difficult to procure without purchasing from large companies, can be dramatically overpriced (just because they can). Which doesn't sit well by me. When I go to the store and see primers for $.04 per primer and the rest of the round costing less than $.02 per round I think, "OK I'm getting ripped off here". What I do about it is to bypass the supplier by making my own primers.
    To me the BY FAR most difficult part of making primers is the compound because I am not a chemist. But with Marshall developing priming compounds that currently outperform the stuff the commercial makers use...the rest is a trivial matter of drawing cups and stamping dies... which for me is a completely new endeavor. I have never tried to make the tooling for such parts but it is very straightforward and should be a very easy exersise for someone who is familiar with punching and stamping operations. So if no one steps up and develops the tooling. By God I will do it myself.
    This is how I keep my poor but from getting ripped off.

They are only using it in loaded ammo. Its already available
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

Boolit Buddy
    for now its just loaded ammo. I will buy up as much large rifle and pistol match primers that I can until the new formula shows up in reloading components. Once that happens I will buy some to try out but for some reason I dont expect that they will preform the same for me as the ones I use now

Boolit Master
    No concern to me.I use WW and CCI primers and have a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    One of the residues will be aluminium oxide,a well known abrasive used commercially in grinding wheels and coated sheets.
    Helps keep the Bores nice and shiny! Lol...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12