RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Computer problem...help if you can, please

Computer problem...help if you can, please

I have a desk top with Windows 7, running Firefox...it has always done what I wanted but something has gone awry recently. I have loaded the software packages for my various cameras, phones, etc...I have a windows folder for pictures for example...Ive always been able to connect my camera to the desktop and have it begin the download to that folder....now nothing downloads....I also can't get any file to load from my dvd drive so cant load any software or drivers for any new items...the computer configration doesn't show any disc dvd drives in the equipment...I figured the dr ive had died but that would not explain w hy my pictures from phone or camera won't load...

Borrowed a USB drive with it's own driver or software and when it tries to load the software it gives an error message and won't load it.

Anything fairly simple I can try to see what might be going on or is it time for a trip to the "fix it feller?"

T hanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not sure, but were there any updates that were recently loaded????
    MS are forcing everyone to change to Win 10.
    An up date may have made changes that Win 7 is not happy with.
    I go here for my computer help.
    Some of them get a little testy with simple questions, but they do help you.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by opos View Post
    I have a desk top with Windows 7, running Firefox...it has always done what I wanted but something has gone awry recently. I have loaded the software packages for my various cameras, phones, etc...I have a windows folder for pictures for example...Ive always been able to connect my camera to the desktop and have it begin the download to that folder....now nothing downloads....I also can't get any file to load from my dvd drive so cant load any software or drivers for any new items...the computer configration doesn't show any disc dvd drives in the equipment...I figured the dr ive had died but that would not explain w hy my pictures from phone or camera won't load...

Borrowed a USB drive with it's own driver or software and when it tries to load the software it gives an error message and won't load it.

Anything fairly simple I can try to see what might be going on or is it time for a trip to the "fix it feller?"

T hanks.
    I'd try using the rollback feature, to a day that you know it worked. It may or may not fix it, but it will be a start. If it does fix it, incrementally load the program/drivers you loaded after that day, noting if it works after each update. So at least then you may know what broke it.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Banned
    Don't panic I will get you through this:
    Some things to check first. Do you know how to go into the device manager to check that? If no let me know, If so check for any issues in there.
    After that we can probably resolve this better in the Personal Messenger.

One thing you said caught my attention. Camera begins to download to that folder when plugged in. Normally you would be presented with a box having a few choices. E.g open folder to view files, import photos, view as slide show or whatever. Your windows was configured to always "do this" or you had software that was set up to run and it always imported to that same folder.

This makes me think configuration of Windows changed, or some software was installed or updated and that changed behaviors. The suggestion to do a roll back to a restore point back to a date/time when things worked is a good place to start. Here is a basic link on doing that https://www.groovypost.com/howto/mic...restore-point/
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I know it sounds stupid, but reboot. That fixes well over half the issues in this world.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Some things to check first. Do you know how to go into the device manager to check that? If no let me know, If so check for any issues in there.
    Id try working with this guy, seems confident and asked the same question i would have to start. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Dignified? I signed up for brave and courageous, not dignified!

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post

Don't know about device manager...complete nube.