Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guess I am sold on using gas checks from now on

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    PCed only works great in my .45-70. 405, 450 and 500 grain boolits. Some made for GCs some not. I don’t see any difference.

However, I can’t hit a darn thing with my 6.5 x 55 mm without GCs, PC or not. Probably because it is a GC base. I figure with the bigger .45 cal. boolits, the difference in the diameter at the base doesn’t matter much compared to the 6.5mm. Plus it gets pretty much filled in after PC and sizing. It is also going slower. Could the Micro Groove barrel make a difference?

Boolit Master
    I have fallen in love w plain based bullets. That being said I bought a 50 beo. I shot 2 diff molds that I purchased. I custom noe mold from long time ago 400 gr design w a narrow drive band but large nose bearing surface powder coated of plain based design and a htc design 325 gr plain based. Loaded each to under 1600 fps. The 400 gr shot great!!!! The 325 shot terrible similar results as the op. My buddy said he had the 325 gr mold in gas check. Shot those and it was perfect. It’s all a new rule unto itself when messing w anything new in anything and to say it can’t be done is straight foolishness. I figured the narrow drive band at the base would blow out no matter what and turned out to be my saving grace bullet rivaling the results of a gas checked bullet except I don’t have to buy gas checks. A hard and fast rule is you generally have best results right off the bat w gas checks and you should gas check a bullet w a gas check shank but w that being said, one must discover that for theirself as I’ve seen plain base shoot as good as gas check and I’ve seen gas check tend to be the only way to use a piticular mold and that’s saying I tried the plain based version and then tried a mold w the gas check cut into the mold and used a gas check. Because the weather man says it’s going to rain doesn’t mean it will.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Just thought I would add for another option if you have a plain base mold, I have customers who order PB molds for their 458 Socom rifles and get great results with PB checks, and my 458 SocomPB caliber dies.

PB checks perform great when you have a correctly cast and sized bullet to your bore's groove diameter, and load pressures to match your needs. Great accuracy, no leading with beverage cans. Hard to beat.
    First, apologies for reviving an old thread. Second, I have read the article on your site about this subject and am wondering if this is not the most perfect solution to my combo of a Lee 340 gr. PB in a micro groove 1895. The soda can economy is a nice bonus. My desire is to have one load at Trapdoor Springfield velocities and the micro groove barrel makes me a bit nervous. My other rifle, an H&R, isn't so picky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12