RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Local Police Range

Banned
    You may want to think about modifying your sifter to something like this and hang it from 3 2x4s in an A-frame. sides will keep the material in, and hanging it will save on your back (lead gets heavy fast). you my want to bring a garden rake or a grub rake to rake the surface, breaking it up as you rake your way into the berm.
    [my 2¢ worth]

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    You may want to think about modifying your sifter to something like this and hang it from 3 2x4s in an A-frame. sides will keep the material in, and hanging it will save on your back (lead gets heavy fast). you my want to bring a garden rake or a grub rake to rake the surface, breaking it up as you rake your way into the berm.
    [my 2¢ worth]
    I need to make a better sifter for sure. I hadn't thought about the grub rake. I need to go get one of those.

In my experience, lead expands when heated. If there are no folds or cracks in jackets or plating, there will be after there is molten lead for them to float on. Do cover the melt pot though, just in case. I'm also assuming you always start with a cold rendering pot and never add after you start heating - to avoid hidden water.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomR View Post
    I usually smash them with a three pound hammer on a piece of railroad track.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    In my experience, lead expands when heated. If there are no folds or cracks in jackets or plating, there will be after there is molten lead for them to float on. Do cover the melt pot though, just in case. I'm also assuming you always start with a cold rendering pot and never add after you start heating - to avoid hidden water.
    I always put the range scrap in a cold pot, usually with a lid on it. If the range scrap is wet or may contain hidden moisture I will only melt down as much as I can fit into the pot at one time. I never add range scrap to an already melted pot.

Boolit Grand Master

Managed to get 8.2 pounds. Not bad for just picking them up. I checked the weather and the next ten days are supposed to be sunny. I might try going back out there next weekend to see if the berm has dried up any.
    I was really hoping you would make a big score. But, every little bit helps. Theres a learning curve to mining berms and its different with every soil type. I expect you will refine your tools and methods and continue to pick up more and more.

I really miss the days when Bullseye Shooting was in its heyday. All of those 185-230 grain bullets just laying there!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post

I've been saving the jackets with the intent of trading them to a scrap yard on town for lead. No idea what I can get for them, but not really looking for money, so hopefully I can make them worth something.
    I got red brass price for mine.

Boolit Grand Master

I also used to get the red brass price because of the small amount of lead left on the jackets. I always figured it was just a way to reduce the payout more than an actual grade.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I was really hoping you would make a big score. But, every little bit helps. Theres a learning curve to mining berms and its different with every soil type. I expect you will refine your tools and methods and continue to pick up more and more.

I really miss the days when Bullseye Shooting was in its heyday. All of those 185-230 grain bullets just laying there!
    If the clay berm wasn't soaking wet I am pretty sure I could have gotten a lot more lead out of it. I might try running out there next saturday and try again.

Boolit Master
    Used to go out to the shooting range in my home town.Got a lot of FMJ stuff,but also a lot of lead.Reason?It was the old Navy machine gun range,from WW2.Mostly .45ACP,.30 and .50 cal stuff.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

If the clay berm wasn't soaking wet I am pretty sure I could have gotten a lot more lead out of it. I might try running out there next saturday and try again.
    Mining clay is probably like farming clay. You will have a short window of "easy work" its either rock hard or soaking wet. You might invest in a pick axe. Hack into the sweet spots and see what you come out with.

Keep us posted this is always a interesting story.

Banned
    just brainstorming, if it's dry and hard, take a mantis type small rototiller and break the clay loose.

or https://www.amazon.com/True-Temper-4...ong+Cultivator

this has a thousand uses.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm going to stop by the police department tomorrow and talk to the chief about cleaning up some of the branches that are hanging down in front of the berm. There are a lot of small trees and shrubs growing on top of the berm, and some of them have started hanging down in front.
    I have a week off of work starting the 16th, so I hope I can make it out to the range to do a little cleanup work and get some more lead.

Boolit Buddy
    On a side note, I have a friend that works at a hospital who is going to check the xray and nuclear medicine departments for any lead they may want to get rid of.

Boolit Grand Master

Those isotope containers make nice bullets. And its really clean lead.

Boolit Master

I was years ago a consummate berm miner, as it was my only source of lead but than I learned the local scrap yard sold lead at just above spot price and I than inherited several thousand pounds of Lyman #2 alloy and when I became a firearms instructor we built an indoor range with a handy lead “collector “ which is a series of baffles and all than precious metal drops into a barrel outside!
    Keep at it; it was always very satisfying to mine my own lead, didn’t need to go to the gym on days I did! Lead that used to be bullets or boolits tends to make good boolits; and you can always sweeten the mix with your preferred alloy to make your favorite flavors!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    Those isotope containers make nice bullets. And its really clean lead.
    It's a pretty good size hospital. I'm really hoping she finds a bunch of lead there.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    I was years ago a consummate berm miner, as it was my only source of lead but than I learned the local scrap yard sold lead at just above spot price and I than inherited several thousand pounds of Lyman #2 alloy and when I became a firearms instructor we built an indoor range with a handy lead “collector “ which is a series of baffles and all than precious metal drops into a barrel outside!
    Keep at it; it was always very satisfying to mine my own lead, didn’t need to go to the gym on days I did! Lead that used to be bullets or boolits tends to make good boolits; and you can always sweeten the mix with your preferred alloy to make your favorite flavors!
    I'm going to try to spend more time at the police range. Hopefully I can bring home 20 pounds or more.

Banned
    I think you'll have better luck when that clay dries out. It's harder to dig when it's rock like BUT it will also separate from the lead easier.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I think you'll have better luck when that clay dries out. It's harder to dig when it's rock like BUT it will also separate from the lead easier.
    That's the plan.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbutcher View Post
    Used to go out to the shooting range in my home town.Got a lot of FMJ stuff,but also a lot of lead.Reason?It was the old Navy machine gun range,from WW2.Mostly .45ACP,.30 and .50 cal stuff.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    I'd wonder about tracers though. Should that be a concern?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast