Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Remington 40x - Custom Rifle - .35 Remington Bench Gun

Remington 40x - Custom Rifle - .35 Remington Bench Gun

I listed this before, had it sold and gave the kid more than a reasonable amount of time to pay for it. After over a year the *(#*&@# kid played me along with promises and finally I've heard the last lie and I'm ready to repost it.

It's a really nice kit to start in on long range cast shooting.

I don't have time to shoot this anymore so it's time to part with it.
    This rifle was built by a Cast Boolits member that has since passed. SmokemJoe

The rifle.
    Remington 40x. It started life as a 222 Remington. The bolt was opened up to accept a 35 Remington case. Bolt and Action are matching serial numbers. The rifle is HEAVY. I'll get an accurate weight this afternoon.

Heavy walnut bench stock. Has forend mounts for attachments up front.I have an aluminum plate fitted to it now. The stock has been bedded and the forend filled with lead shot. The butt has weights in the rear as well. The stock has some finish missing around the chamber where some solvent got loose.

When I received the rifle a barrel worked free in the box and sheared off the trigger guard and trigger. I replaced the trigger guard and was going to notch and JB weld the trigger back on (broken piece is included) but I like it the way it is. The trigger is an aftermarket target trigger group but I can't recall the manufacturer. It's set at"Holy ****" light. It's low single digit ounces. The rifle includes 2 bolt stops.
    The machining finish isn't great on the feed ramp or bolt. It lacks"refinement", but everything does the job.

Barrels:There are 4 barrels included. 1:10 1:12 1:14 and 1:17. All are SS HEAVY BULL Douglas XX Premium barrels. The 1:10 is on there now and is chambered with a throat for BIG LONG heavy cast bullets with the rifling tapered for a boolit bump die.

Molds:There are 7 Molds which make 10 different boolits included.
    Hoch nose pour 360268 with modified handles marked 10/28/1982
    NEI 358 Spire Point in 255 and 268gr.
    LBT 265 Spire Point 2 Cavity
    LBT 325 SP1R 2 Cavity
    CBE 363-310 200gr Long Truncated Cone 1 Cavity
    Futuyo(RCBS RECUT) 255 and 305gr Spire Point (there's some spider web junkin the nose of one cavity)
    NOE 360365 5 Cavity

Dies:
    Set of mixed dies for sizing and seating. Custom neck sizer. FL sizer.Seating Die
    Boolit Taper Bump Die with ejector that fits RCBS Rock Crusher ram. This tapers the finished/lubed boolit to fit the throat of the rifle.
    2 H&I Size dies.

Supplies:
    Action wrench and barrel wrench. Made by Joe.
    Around 200 pieces of brass. (I'll get a better count)
    Rolling Hard Case
    LOTS of documentation that Joe worked up including load data for the different barrels/boolits as well as targets.

I shot this quite a bit. I shot this in our club shoots out to 500 yards, I was the only guy shooting cast and was in the top half of the field most of the time competing against high powered jacketed shooters.
    Joe had the rifle pushing some pretty respectable velocities with BIG cast boolits. I'll get the exact #'s this evening but I believe the 325GR LBT was making ~1800fps.

If anyone has any questions or would like more detailed pictures let me know.

I'masking $1600+ shipping for the whole kit.
    (FYI- The barrel blanks would run ~$1,600 if bought new now)

I'll now take offers for the RIFLE FIRST, and whatever kit the buyer wants with it.
    $1000 for the rifle alone and add any of the following with the rifle.
    17Twist $125
    14Twist $125
    12Twist $125
    Hoch $100
    NOE $55
    NEI $55
    LBT $55
    LBT $55
    CBE $55
    Futoyo $55
    Brass $40
    Bump Die Setup $50
    Wrench Set $50

I'm open to offers for a good alloy frame carry gun in 357/41/44/45C
    I'm interested in interesting stuff and I'm flexible on payment, I just don't need 3 bench guns.

Before anyone lines up to call dibs on the parts, Those aren't the prices they'll be listed @ individually and not all of it may be for sale.

30+ Pictures Here - Not Yet pictured - The other 3 barrel blanks.
    http://imgur.com/a/erux1
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    SmokemJoe was a great guy! Bought his bowling ball mortar from him just before he passed. His flintlock rifles were things of beauty. Am sure other than the refinements mentioned the rifle was well put together. Joe also made the smoothest white lightning I ever tasted.

RichardB

Back to the Top
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt