Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a top notch resperator help

Boolit Bub

Looking for a top notch resperator help

Can anybody recomend a half face resperator to buy. I prefer a good brand name one like 3m or equal. Dont need a full face. Thanks for all help.
    Bob
    I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16

Boolit Buddy

We use the 3m 6000 series at work (I am a safety guy at a welding and metal fabrication shop). They work for weld fumes and organic solvents just fine, just make sure you have the right filter. They work well and are pretty reasonable, the only thing is they don't fit under most weld hoods, if you need that capability I believe Miller has an option.

Boolit Buddy
    Is this for use while melting lead / casting boolits? If so, unless you plan on running your pot far hotter than necessary, respirators are unnecessary. A grinding shield is good to use in cse the tinsel fairy comes for a visit.

Boolit Bub
    yep while working lead

Boolit Buddy
    There has been much written on this site regarding heavy metal levels in blood. I personally have been casting lead for 35 years; never with a respirator, only with adequate ventilation. In my case this has meant melting outside, not being downwind of the pot, never with any kind of elaborate exhaust hood or fan system. About 5 years ago I had myself tested for light and heavy metals: all within normal ranges. You are most likely to get lead in your body if you inhale dust from lead or its oxides, have that dust on your hands then eat or smoke, let your melting pot get over lead's 3180*F boiling point then inhale the fumes. The first two entry methods are easily avoided with proper hygiene and situational awareness. The third (3180* pot) would difficult to achieve if you tried. If you want to wear a dust mask, go for it. A respirator for lead fumes is unnecessary and a waste of money. Some people here wear leather welding and grinding PPE for protection against the tinsel fairy. "Tinsel fairy" is when water gets under the surface of the molten lead, undergoes violent expansion into steam, blowing molten lead throughout the area. You are fairly new here. Go to the "Classics and Stickies" section. Enter under "Search Forum": tinsel fairy. After reading about that, check out the rest of the threads there. Those threads have been placed there because they contain especially useful information. You are far more likely to get 1st and 2nd degree burns casting boolits than you are to get a blood lead level.

Boolit Master
    ^^^what he said. Tinsel fairy not nice.

Boolit Bub
    I still want a resperator. I have enough health issues as it is. but all imput is very welcome.
    regards

Banned
    Have a big fan drawing the fumes away from you
    How to cast bullets out of scrap lead with champion shooter Jerry Miculek https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSgQ82Kqhzo

With casting you can get away with a smaller fan or, I cast inside with a hood vent (that vents outside) that removes all the fumes except a little smoke (not lead fumes) escapes when I flux the pot.

I smelt outside with a fan.
    Last edited by Grmps; 07-02-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I,ve casted before when i was young making sinkers and jigs. Dad was a cable splicer and used lead in his job. I still have 3 plumbers furnaces he used but i prefer propane for convience. He never used a mask but always used virgin lead. I have ww and range scrap, about 2k lbs.

I'll give you my personal information...mine only....I have advanced COPD, asthma and a Hemi-diaphrgm which means 1/2 of my diaphragm is paralized so only one lung is functional...my pulmonologist..a top one...has indicated that while many people cast lead items..she would not advise it for me...I shoot lead from a commercial caster and am extremely careful to wear a 3m mask and watch my hygene...

Boolit Bub
    What mask do you wear

Boolit Bub
    Well i,ve done tons of rescherch on resperators. 3m makes the best ones. Within a couple days i,ll post cheapest place to buy, part numbers for everything. And contact info. Regardless of folks thoughts about this its too important of issue to assume or neglect imo. Yes indoors or out you need a mask imo. Seems a quality mask, filters and shipping is right at 100 bucks. More to come asap.
    Bob

Boolit Buddy

Bob what mask are you going with? You should be able to get a half face respirator and some cartridges for a lot closer to $20 then $100. You should only need the pink p100 particulate filters.
    Last edited by guywitha3006; 07-03-2018 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Typo

i use a 7503 3M half face with P100 filter.best value to me.

Boolit Bub
    Theres 2 different things a mask must do. Lead dust and the vapors comming off cookiing lead. Both are highly toxic. Even 1 breath has to have effects. I,am not looking for the cheapest way around these toxins but rather the best abatement available as its my health its saving. Going to disscuss this with 3m rep in next couple days then i,ll post what he tells me. He said he advises lots of fishermen and bullit casters.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I called the rep at 3M and they recommended this one for smelting. I wasn't so much worried about just lead, but all of the other nasties in the wheel weight bucket, but the rep said this was good for handling old powdery lead or cutting lead with a machine or melting and pouring it for making bullets or weights or anchors.
    I only wear it when wear it when smelting and making alloys, but not when I'm casting my clean ingots, but so far my blood levels have never been above a 2. So I'd recommend this one.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Mediu...A1-C/202080148
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

The major player in this arket are North, Wilson and 3M. I prefer North, as Wilson and 3M are wider at the nose bridge and interfer with my line of sight. I wear a half and full face respirators alot spraying industrial coatings and doing lead abatement.

Quote Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS View Post
    Theres 2 different things a mask must do. Lead dust and the vapors comming off cookiing lead. Both are highly toxic. Even 1 breath has to have effects. I,am not looking for the cheapest way around these toxins but rather the best abatement available as its my health its saving. Going to disscuss this with 3m rep in next couple days then i,ll post what he tells me. He said he advises lots of fishermen and bullit casters.

when i've bought my 7503,the 3m rep was on the store floor (praxair) and HE advised the 7503,more importantly, the filters...he said that the P100 has been designed for people like us playing with lead both melted , and the dust as well.

he told me that ''if you can smell it,it means you ingest some ''''. the P100 are doin their job,because when i remove the mask, i can smell the scent i 'm trying to avoid.

Boolit Bub
    Guys your overlooking the eyes there windows to your insides.

Boolit Buddy

One more thing to think about is you will need to be baby butt smooth clean shaven for the respirator to work correctly. If any hair or stuble breaks the seal it doesn't matter how good the package says it is. In the industrial setting we do annual fit test to confirm the respirator to face seal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast