Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Done browning and refinishing the stock on Husqvarna 12.7xrr project gun!

Boolit Master

Done browning and refinishing the stock on Husqvarna 12.7xrr project gun!

Well I got her finished, the metal looks like it is coated in chocolate, and I mixed the leather dye I had to get a mahogany color on the stock, left the butt plate finished polished. I put a good finish, kind of matte, similar to what they guns of that period had I had a old peep sight laying around, so I recontoured the base to fit the receiver and drilled and tapped it, put it on. Before I started browning the barrel, I sweated on a ramp front off an old H&R hand rifle that I sold several year ago. I had a piece of a bow pin sight that I cut off, was the same thread as the peep hole, I screwed it in and it gives a little bit better sight picture than ghost ring by itself. I have pics if I can get someone to post them. While I am trying to rehab from 3 strokes on11-21-17, it feels good to be able to do something that I could before the strokes.

PM sent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Here are Kogers pics. Looks good to me except the front sight needs cleanup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Lookin good!

Boolit Master
    The brown finish looks much lighter than it is, due to flash from my phone and the fluorescent light over it, and will get much darker with age. I should have cleaned up better around the ft sight, but it will have to do. Now to get some ammo loaded up and get her zeroed! Also, it did not have the unit disk, so I took one off a broken Swede 6.5 Mauser stock, and fitted it, polished it up!

I hope it shoots like it looks(great).

Boolit Master
    It had very crude fixed sights that were very small, but it shot pretty good with them out to 150 yds, should do s lot better with the new ones!

Boolit Buddy
    Please tell me about the reciever sight that is on it.

Boolit Master
    The receiver peep sight was an older Parker Hale model I had bought in a box of gun stuff at a flea market for $20, for the whole box probably 20 years ago, supposed to fit a 98 Mauser, but did not. I had to mill the bases 4 times to get it to fit like I wante it to, and ended up with the screws going in just below the edge of the flat part of the receiver where it transitions to the round top. Some fold might say I messed up s valuable sight, I think i made it usable, and I think it looks good to!

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Originally only the barrel was plum brown, the action was colour case. Given time and private "maintenence" most of them became plain polished metal (the action not the barrel).

And i do believe that the stock disk is from a M96 Mauser 6,5x55.

Nice job...I love plum brown metal finishes. I built a kit Muzzleloader years ago and plum'd it. The metal deepens in color with age...nice choice.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    17 nut you are correct, I had a broken 6.5 swede stock, and I took the disk off and fitted it with very little effort, polished it up, thought about turning it over and stamping it with the unit info on s buddy of mines who has the same rifle. This rifle had no finish left on any of the metal, but the bore was in very good shape. I thought about rust bluing or hot bluing it, as I do both. The receiver had very bad pitting on one side, and the slow rust brown built up over several applications covered up 90% of them!

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Originally only the barrel was plum brown, the action was colour case. Given time and private "maintenence" most of them became plain polished metal (the action not the barrel).

And i do believe that the stock disk is from a M96 Mauser 6,5x55.
    Really? I have an original and the action is color cased, but barrel is blued. Pretty sure they all were.

Boolit Master
    For the record, Marlin man is right, on how they came from the factory. But I have seen nearly as many that have been sporterized, like the one in this post, that have been rust blued or browned, in their second life, as a hunting rifle. I just wanted to improve the looks of the rifle while making it much more shootable!