Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: H&R: What the heck happened?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    http://www.hr1871.com

Their website is still up.
    Yep it sure is and it offers their NEW 2014 catalog!

Forget it, they are gone, it's just the old site.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    I know. It's strange that the website is dated for this year.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

It's not strange at all, if you are referring to that 2018 in the lower left that is just a part of the web page that updates automatically and will continue to do so until someone removes the page, unless someone gets around to taking that page down and it's still up next year that tiny page date will be 2019 and they will still be offering the same obsolete 2014 catalog and still have the same dead links, did you by any chance click on the site news link prominently displayed on the page?

They are gone and everybody knows it, if they come back it will be well known and their web page would clearly reflect they are back.

Boolit Buddy
    2nd the cva recommended,I have a 45/70 v2 scout 25" barrel in stainless. Love it.

Boolit Master
    No, oldred, I know that they are gone. I just didn't know why the site would update itself....Or why it's even there anymore.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

What's your point? It's just an old website just like thousands of other "dead" websites on the net! Websites don't always just automatically get deleted (some do) and that one is no different than a multitude of others. You seem to be insinuating that "something strange might be going on" because that old website is still up and the site host server (not the website!) is updating, there is nothing "strange" about that! You seem to want to point out that tiny almost obscure automatic host server date function and ignore the far more obvious 4 year old outdated catalog and other things like the dead links, especially the one to their NONEXISTENT NEWS page (you get the standard internet "this page can't be displayed" generic page).

They are gone and there's no indication they are coming back, pointing to an old page that was up back in 2014, HAS BEEN THERE ALL ALONG and has NOT been updated in all that time and then saying "I just don't know why" is what don't make a lot of sense. That DEAD webpage has been there all along just as it is now ever since they closed shop and is absolutely no indication of anything except that no one has taken it down yet!

Why would the site host software date update itself? Because it's part of the site hosting service that stores the webpage on their server, it's NOT part of the website itself, good grief it's just part of the software that allows the site to be there in the first place! Why is it still up? For any number of a multitude of possible reasons, the same as any number of other dead websites that are nothing more than "Ghost sites" that have not yet been removed from website hosting service servers for any number of unimportant reasons.

Boolit Master
    You do like to argue, don't you?

I hope you feel better now.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    You do like to argue, don't you?

I hope you feel better now.

I wasn't trying to argue, I pointed out the obvious it was you who brought up the dead site and kept saying it "seemed strange" when there was nothing at all strange about it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    It's possible they paid for 5 or 10 years for their web site, and got a better rate for it; I don't know but that'd make more sense than it staying around if it's not paid for!

Boolit Master

Just like data stored on about any device it can often linger until space is needed for something else, it certainly could be just as you suggested or it could be the host may do "house cleaning" on a schedule, they may wait until data storage reaches a certain level or maybe they just haven't gotten around to doing it because they have plenty of empty storage and just don't need it right now. Could be any number of reasons but just like undeleted files or programs on our own hard drives and other storage devices lot's of those webpages linger in limbo like that for years.

Banned

With H&R gone now and I don't think Rossi is still making them, who makes good, signle barel shotguns now? Wal Mart is selling those Hatfields for about $100, are they decent? Someone posted a link to this Midland company that has these.

https://www.shootmidland.com/collections/all

I like break open single shot shotguns and have a few, I like the Savage/Stevens 220 and 94 better than the H&Rs. Seems a shame that no one has a good, entry level one for a kid to learn hunting on nowadays.

Boolit Grand Master

I looked at the Hatfield at walmart. I won't be owning one. I have no idea what choke it is, it was fixed, but no mention on the barrel. It looked like they just crimped down the end of the barrel and called it good. The frame is about like a barn hinge. Other than that, I'd bet it goes bang.

I just purchased a Henry single shot in 308 winchester, should be here tomorrow. They are in stock at gallery of guns if anyone is looking. I'm guessing the shotguns are about the same price, I paid $370. I'd rather have a handi rifle, but everybody thinks they are worth $300+. What a change from 2013, when stores were lined with H&R, to 2015 (when I actually had money), and you couldn't buy one for anything.

Banned

Just saw a good condition NEF in .22 Hornet with a cheap scope on it today for $269. Hornets seem to be even more popular than most. They're out there.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Just saw a good condition NEF in .22 Hornet with a cheap scope on it today for $269. Hornets seem to be even more popular than most. They're out there.
    I don't doubt it, but they are very rare. The exceptions are the 12,20, and .410 shotguns, as well as 243 winchester rifles. I've seen some 17 hmr rifles decent too. Since 2015, I've got two 12 gauges, both $125. Since that time, I've also been on the hunt for a 30 cal, 30-30/308/30-06. I have yet to see one that isn't junk, and under $300 in over 3 years. I thought I had found it this spring at an auction, a 30-30, 12 gauge combo. I looked it over, and it rattled. That's not right. I put it up to the light, and there was a gap from the frame to barrel large enough to fit a credit card in. I tried to tell the auctioneers they were selling an unsafe gun, but they didn't care. I've tried fitting 3 barrels now, and it's not easy. The last was a 410, and there was such a gap from frame to barrel I tried to shove a .020" shim in the hinge pin, and it still isn't enough. I tried JB weld, but it's not strong enough, I'll probably have to try building it up with the tig welder. I would never buy just a barrel again. There is such a variation, the best case is the barrel is too tight, and you can file the hinge pivot point just enough. Go just .002" too far, and you've ruined it.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    the H&R buff classic was THE bottom feeder entry rifle into BPCR. large corporations are lead by their stockholders, who's bottom line is making as much money as quickly as possible. there are no underlying stockholder good intentions about products or services. many a good product has be cut down needlessly - add H&R handi rifles to that list. it is what it is.
    So, when privately held companies go public, then the only thing they are concerned with is profit to the exclusion of everything else? While that is the case more times than not (perhaps everytime), I don't think it has to necessarily be. Therefore, generally speaking, I don't accept the premise of "it is what it is." I don't like accepting sub-standard behavior as the new standard based on the "everybody else is doing it" reasoning (i.e. while I may have to accept that large corporate business will act this way I don't have to think those actions are acceptable). That being said, I'm prepared to be disappointed a lot! That is why I typically hate to see a private company go public or be bought out by a larger (usually public) entity, because it often brings with it disappointment.

Ed "The Idealist"

Banned

mr ed, large corporations exist for their stockholders, who are the true corporation owners. most stock holders have no interest in products or services, only the ROI and what it takes to increase shareholder values. that, sir, is unfortunately what it is, and what drives today's market - making money, not products or services. this is where the value added of smaller corporations, businesses, are the boon to the consumer. people who offer products and services with the public in mind, not the stockholder (if any). H&R was just a pawn in the game, no more or less. like it or not, it sure is what it is.

rfd, reread my post. I stated "Therefore, generally speaking, I don't accept the premise of 'it is what it is'." Wikipedia says that 'It Is What It Is' is an idiomatic phrase, indicating the immutable (unchanging over time or unable to be changed) nature of an object or circumstance. In general, I don't think it's "unable to be changed," though, specifically, for H&R it is "unable to be changed." However, I think that phrase lends itself to accepting the unacceptable, which I generally reject.

As I said before, hopefully, if the demand is there, someone will produce a product to fill the gap left behind by the demise of H&R.

Ed
    Last edited by WarEagleEd; 10-11-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Banned

i hear ya, ed. it's all good one way or t'other, 'cept in the case of H&R and too many others. the bottom line is that NO major manufacturer wants anything less than making a continuous good buck as easily as possible. ditto for the stockholders who hold the company's reins. too large corporations are so far removed from the product they make that it really ain't funny anymore. case in point, H&R. it was strictly about the money, no more or less. for us, the buff classic was the only sane introduction to bpcr. it wasn't at all great gun, but it was good enuf to get one's toes wet in the black waters. ain't nothing like it since. oh well.

I notice CVA is putting out some single shot centerfire rifles and pistols..but they quit cataloging the 300BLK pistol before I caught on.
    Still making it in 357 and 44 mags...aren't their barrels Bergara?

No cause for despair. Single shot in .300BLK is a waste of time and trouble, since the single shot isn't restricted in cartridge size or length by a magazine made for a much smaller caliber. And it's rimless, which complicates the extractor.

There were thousands of T/C Contender barrels made in .30 Herrett, another cartridge with insufficient powder capacity, and they're going begging in the used market. I made that mistake years ago, and almost literally can't give mine away.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345