WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Ruger Match Champion info

Boolit Master

Ruger Match Champion info

Not really worried, but, concerned...I have a Ruger Match Champion, which I really like. One minor(?) problem tho. The hammer pin backs out during firing and dry fire. The grip keeps it from moving far, but, I would like to know if this "just happens" for the GP 100 series and other Ruger revolvers?

Please, no "send it back to the factory" answers, unless that truly is the only correction for a real problem! I had a Wiley Clapp Talo GP 100 that I was just beginning to like, and it had the same problem. I talked to a customer service rep, who sent a mailing label, and I returned it.

Then I got a phone call from Ruger, saying the technician had written on the inspection sheet "Replace the gun". No reason. Soooo, they sent me the Match Champion...another FFL transfer fee. I just don't want to repeat the scenario, if it is only a minor irritation.

The customer service rep I talked to earlier this week said he didn't think that was "normal" and is sending me a new hammer pin, to see if that will correct the problem.

Opinions/advice, please.

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 07:20 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

If your concern is that Ruger might replace the gun, I think you're concerned about the wrong thing. If Ruger is going to replace the gun, then there is something very wrong. They don't do that for minor troubles.

In a roundabout way I experienced the same problem:

1. The hammer pin in my 5" Lipsey .44 Spec. was extremely difficult to remove, so I contacted Ruger & they sent a shipping label & it was returned.

2. Receiving it back I experienced the same problem you're experiencing, except mine would completely free itself from the frame in about 5 or 6 shots. Unfortunately the grips did not stop mine until it began to
    rotate (counter clockwise) which scratched the frame.

I re-contacted Ruger & the CS representative that handled the situation was super. I didn't want to return the gun again so he sent 2 other hammer pins in hopes that one would be a tighter fit. Unfortunately all were the same.

3. Gun returned to Ruger & they had to replace the frame to correct the problem. I wish I had never sent it back the 1st. time. Before returning it had a .006" cyl./bbl. gap & no measureable end shake. With the new frame the dimensions were not as good. I should have lived with the tight pin .......a tight pin is better than a loose pin.

In spite of the above, I love the gun.

Henry