RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
StainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationGraf & SonsRepackbox
Wideners
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Front sight for a Zoli/Lyman .58 rifled musket?

  1. #1
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    431

    Front sight for a Zoli/Lyman .58 rifled musket?

    A good friend picked up a nice .58 cal with plans to use it for deer hunting. It shoots consistantly high and it appears 'Bubba' filed down the front sight? The front sight looks to be soldered on, which I can do. 'Track' didn't list anything and I will look at my Dixie catalog when I get home. Any help locating a front sight would be 'GREATLY APPRECIATED'! Thanks, hc18flyer

  2. #2
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    A good friend picked up a nice .58 cal with plans to use it for deer hunting. It shoots consistantly high and it appears 'Bubba' filed down the front sight? The front sight looks to be soldered on, which I can do. 'Track' didn't list anything and I will look at my Dixie catalog when I get home. Any help locating a front sight would be 'GREATLY APPRECIATED'! Thanks, hc18flyer
    I think Bubba must have worked in the Zoli factory - mine looks the same - gonna throw the front sight and cut a dovetail in for a decent one !

  3. #3
    Boolit Mold
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    22
    Same thing here. Ripped off the front sight and the back one. replaced the Back with a semi buck horn leaf then filed it down and opened it up with a chainsaw file, Front sight replaced with a tall brass one from TOW. had to file dove tails front and back on the barrel but it shoots to p.o.a now. These Zoils all seem to shoot high. Mine was high and left about 12 inch at 50yds. It loves round balls and patch.

  4. #4
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    431
    'Dixie Gun Works' lists a tall Civil War replacement front sight for round barrels that solders on. I will call there tomorrow.

  5. #5
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    brisbane ,qld,australia
    Posts
    546
    You should take a fine sight for close range.....in other words ,post in the lowest part of the V,not level with the top......that way ,you could reduce the elevation as the enemy advanced,without touching the sights...............Incidentally,most of the Zouaves Ive seen ,the front sight seems to be spot welded on.........but the original sight would have been brazed,so not easy to remove.

  6. #6
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    You should take a fine sight for close range.....in other words ,post in the lowest part of the V,not level with the top......that way ,you could reduce the elevation as the enemy advanced,without touching the sights...............Incidentally,most of the Zouaves Ive seen ,the front sight seems to be spot welded on.........but the original sight would have been brazed,so not easy to remove.
    Mine is a mississippi rifle .....fine sight ? when I wuz 20 that woulda worked - cant see them little fine sights anymore - needs a flat blade at least 1/8" wide to see it !!
    Its a good round ball shooter - have had no joy with minies - twist is too slow at 1:72 but some blokes tell me they do it ok - dunno how or why ?

  7. #7
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    665
    I have what you need ,PM me/thanks Ed

  8. #8
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    MI (summer) - AZ (winter)
    Posts
    3,127
    While those of you with Zolis may actually have a "bubba'd front sight" - it is very possible that you particular rifle was sued for N-SSA competition. Relay distances used to be 25 and 50 yards. It's been years since I shot N-SSA, but when I was shooting it, I used a nice Remington Zouave (not marked) that I bought for $65 used in about 1963 or 64. For killing lay pigeons on a "pigeon board" or shooting small having clay flower pots, a wide variety of loads and minie balls were used - the 575-213 styles as well as the lighter weight semi wad cutter "minies". Several that I knew had molds for hollow base "ash cans" - hollow base flat nose indies - used in the "stake chopping" event. More than likely, that's why some of your sights ay have been altered.

    I replaced the original barrel on my Zouave a couple of years ago. The bore was always oversize on it and I found a Zoli at a very decent price - used the barrel from it to reburial mine and parted out the rest of the Zoli. The front sight on the Zoli barrel had been changed out - IIRC - those sights are actually dovetailed in. Mine has a replacement flat blade sight in the dovetail now that was typical of those used to replace original sights for competition years ago.

    If you are looking for an original style replacement sight for a Zoli - check with S & S Firearms or Lodgewood Manufacturing.

  9. #9
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    720
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    While those of you with Zolis may actually have a "bubba'd front sight" - it is very possible that you particular rifle was sued for N-SSA competition. Relay distances used to be 25 and 50 yards. It's been years since I shot N-SSA, but when I was shooting it, I used a nice Remington Zouave (not marked) that I bought for $65 used in about 1963 or 64. For killing lay pigeons on a "pigeon board" or shooting small having clay flower pots, a wide variety of loads and minie balls were used - the 575-213 styles as well as the lighter weight semi wad cutter "minies". Several that I knew had molds for hollow base "ash cans" - hollow base flat nose indies - used in the "stake chopping" event. More than likely, that's why some of your sights ay have been altered.

    I replaced the original barrel on my Zouave a couple of years ago. The bore was always oversize on it and I found a Zoli at a very decent price - used the barrel from it to reburial mine and parted out the rest of the Zoli. The front sight on the Zoli barrel had been changed out - IIRC - those sights are actually dovetailed in. Mine has a replacement flat blade sight in the dovetail now that was typical of those used to replace original sights for competition years ago.

    If you are looking for an original style replacement sight for a Zoli - check with S & S Firearms or Lodgewood Manufacturing.
    Mine (mississippi rifle) looks like it came from the factory like it is - theres either a little blind dovetail milled in from the left hand side or a blind flat and the front sight soldered in - rear sight is in a dovetail so that end is easy fixed. I am partway through making ladder rear sight for it (unfinished project). Its a good shooter with round ball and I have a mold - maybe some experimenting with minies might get it going ???

  10. #10
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    gardners pa.
    Posts
    2,882
    all civil war rifles were made to shoot high. as pointed out there are many different weights mini balls. the heaver the higher they shoot. I have seen the front sight base slotted and blades put in.

    there was a sharper shooters sight that slipped over the front sight and clamped with a thumb screw. dixie had repros. I have one it works well. in fact the stock is relived in the patch box to store it.

  11. #11
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    5,826
    Older military rifles in general were made to shoot high. All of mine do. Probably due to the fact that if you raise your sight picture, it covers the object you are trying to shoot so it's easier to lower your point of aim so that you can still see what you are aiming at.
    Aim small, miss small!

  12. #12
    Boolit Buddy 59sharps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Standing on the Rock
    Posts
    275
    cut it flat at the top of the sight block. cut a groove front to back soider in a tall pcs of brass stock. then file as needed. or get a dovetail sight from s & s firearms.
    also you can get a blank L shaped rear sightone long leg i short leg on the L from S &S the you can drill a peep or cut a v in ea for diffent ranges I shoot N-SSA so mmp peeps are 50 and 100 yrds.
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

  13. #13
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    431
    "cut it flat at the top of the sight block. cut a groove front to back soider in a tall pcs of brass stock. then file as needed."
    That is better yet, I can get a piece of brass from a knife maker and solder it in.
    Thanks, Tom

  14. #14
    Boolit Buddy

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    245
    That's C.W. Heckuva guy

  15. #15
    Boolit Buddy 59sharps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Standing on the Rock
    Posts
    275

    vets

    Quote Originally Posted by carbine View Post
    That's C.W. Heckuva guy
    Will you be at the Vets ahoot. We are going Thursday night. If I don't need to stop and rest first.
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA

  16. #16
    Boolit Master

    Newtire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Star, Idaho
    Posts
    2,671
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Mine is a mississippi rifle .....fine sight ? when I wuz 20 that woulda worked - cant see them little fine sights anymore - needs a flat blade at least 1/8" wide to see it !!
    Its a good round ball shooter - have had no joy with minies - twist is too slow at 1:72 but some blokes tell me they do it ok - dunno how or why ?
    I have 2 of those things. One shot all over the place and other one was accurate. Found out that the one was acra glassed. Did that to the other and it shoots good now. Both shoot high! The other thing is that the bore of one likes .580" minies and the other one takes a .575". Small Minnie in big bore doesn't shoot worth a hoot.

  17. #17
    Boolit Buddy

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    245
    For general information, both Lodgewood and S and S firearms sells high replacement sights for all CW guns.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check