RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Score!

Boolit Buddy

Score!

70 lbs of lead. 20# bottom pour pot (half full). Ingot mold. Cast iron pot. $50.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Boy that is a good deal,if you just got the lead alone would be a good deal.

Banned
    The young guys who get into casting have it really good. The vast majority of us casters are going to be dying off in the next 20 or so years and there will be a market full of stuff we leave behind ...to be had for next to nothing at estate sales rummage sales etc. There are some now but it seems, unless the trend changes that casting will be for the elite few who chose to go that route in the future.

Boolit Buddy
    No wonder this guy gave up and sold all his stuff. Still working on getting 20 lbs cleaned up. This is from the ingots he had casted. This stuff is dirtier than any bucket of wheel weights.

Boolit Buddy
    That's still a pretty good deal!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomR View Post
    That's still a pretty good deal!
    Oh heck yes. And being dirty just means I get to play with it more... And take more satisfaction when I send it downrange.

Boolit Buddy
    I emailed the indoor gun range that I go to once in a while and asked about their range scrap. They said they can't sell it because it is hazmat. I then asked if they sell it to a local scrap yard and they gave me the name of the place they sell it to. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if I can buy the range scrap from them. Hopefully they don't want an arm and a leg for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a nice score!

Traffer kinds of make a grim prediction but its probably true. The same thing probably goes for classic guns and nice tools. The newer generation mostly wants black plastic guns and won't know how to work on anything so cheap tools will serve them well.

Boolit Buddy
    I emailed the indoor gun range that I go to once in a while and asked about their range scrap. They said they can't sell it because it is hazmat. I then asked if they sell it to a local scrap yard and they gave me the name of the place they sell it to. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if I can buy the range scrap from them. Hopefully they don't want an arm and a leg for it.
    EPA considers the lead to be scrap metal if the intent is to recycle it. Any soil removed from the site is considered hazmat. Unless that changed (and I can't find anything saying it did) you might be able to get documentation from them to help you out.

Banned
    Government regulations...good grief, why does our population accept this foolishness. Like lead paint...I lived in Massachusetts where people were busy destroying beautiful old historic homes because they were terrified of lead paint. The only way lead paint is going to hurt anyone is if babies eat it if it flakes off. Other than that the big lead scare only served to create legislation ad nauseam. It also provided for the creation of a whole new industry "lead paint removal" All of them run by the mafia. All of them designed to rip people off.

Boolit Buddy
    Just got off the phone with the scrap yard. Between 90 cents and a dollar a pound for processed lead. Has both hard and soft lead. Looks like I found a reliable source.

Boolit Master
    Most often when you hear someplace tell you "EPA says" they are inventing an excuse to get you off the phone/outta their life.
    My isotope lead page: http://fellingfamily.net/isolead/

Boolit Buddy
    Just got off the phone with the scrap yard. Between 90 cents and a dollar a pound for processed lead. Has both hard and soft lead. Looks like I found a reliable source.
    Nice

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    No wonder this guy gave up and sold all his stuff. Still working on getting 20 lbs cleaned up. This is from the ingots he had casted. This stuff is dirtier than any bucket of wheel weights.

Did you add any flux? or wax to the melt? Looks like some of that could be metal.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes. Used sawdust. A lot of it. Based on descriptions I read, I think it may be contaminated with zinc. Either that or there's no apparent limit to the garbage in it. It makes boolits though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Did you add any flux? or wax to the melt? Looks like some of that could be metal.

Not meaning hijack this topic but opening new...naah.
    Anyways got my Sn order from junkyard which is reliable. They got that "thing" (not knowing English word) which shows what kind of inpurities and materials those sticks contain. Fat sticks are 99,6 and 99.8 % Sn and thin sticks are 52.2 Sn and 47.8 Pb. Overal weight over 23kg

Same place i got with my friend about 520kg pure lead. Old sheets from x-ray room. Maybe i have now enough Sn for awhile

Boolit Master

you may need some tin for better fill out.