Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: What Bore Brush for .32 Revolver?

Boolit Master

What Bore Brush for .32 Revolver?

It just occurred to me that I don't have a bore brush for my Ruger Single Seven. I've got .30 cal. rifle brushes but they are too long for a revolver. What do others use?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    There are 30/32 handgun bore brushes at MidwayUSA and Graf & Sons. I have also pressed 30 caliber rifle bore brushes into service from time to time.

I don't use bore brushes a whole lot on my handguns using cast bullets. My bores and chambers don't get that cruddy any more, since I stopped using short-for-caliber brass in my cylinders (e.g., 38 Special in 357 Magnum).
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    These are what I use:
    Brownell's 084-140-510WB
    3 pk.,
    .32/7.65mm Pistol
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Sorry, but bore brushes are against my religion in pistols except to remove a LOT of lead.

And if you are sizing boolits right you should not have a lot of lead to remove.

If I was to use a bore brush it would probably be plastic.

Some of those brushes nowdays are copper plated steel and they could make you unhappy.

Boolit Master

I don't know that I will have a leading problem. I've posted elsewhere that my .327 Federal Single Seven has .315 throats. The largest boolits I've got are .314 including both lead and powder coated. The lead boolits I've seated have been sized down to .311-.312 by the brass case. I'm going to load both plain and PC boolits this week and shoot them and see what happens. I'm not real optimistic.

Those that say I should size them right, what would you recommend? I don't really want to use linotype boolits to try to maintain size.

My thanks to Outpost75 for the link. If I get lead, I'll order those.
    John
    W.TN

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Agree most of the time bronze brush not needed. The nylon .357/9mm bore brushes will scrub .32 bores and chsmbers OK for routine cleaning.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

If I need it I'll try that first. I've got nylon brushes for .357
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

A Dremel cut off wheel would take care of the too long situation, or even a fine toothed hacksaw.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

I use 8mm bronze bore brushes in my .32 handguns. I usually use worn out (worn too small) after they are no longer usable in the 8mm rifles. A quick cleaning with spray brake cleaner and they are good for use in the handguns and 31 cal rifles.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Most of mine get a oiled patch through them and they are good to go. I usually get zero leading in my revolvers.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Get a LEE Universal expander. NOE makes oversize expander plugs that fit the LEE die so that your bullets will not be sized smaller by the case.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I use 8mm bronze bore brushes in my .32 handguns. I usually use worn out (worn too small) after they are no longer usable in the 8mm rifles. A quick cleaning with spray brake cleaner and they are good for use in the handguns and 31 cal rifles.
    I've only got one 8mm and don't shoot it much so haven't got a worn brush. If I have to I will do as a previous poster suggested and cut one off.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WALLNUTT View Post
    Get a LEE Universal expander. NOE makes oversize expander plugs that fit the LEE die so that your bullets will not be sized smaller by the case.
    On order.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I don't know that I will have a leading problem. I've posted elsewhere that my .327 Federal Single Seven has .315 throats. The largest boolits I've got are .314 including both lead and powder coated. The lead boolits I've seated have been sized down to .311-.312 by the brass case. I'm going to load both plain and PC boolits this week and shoot them and see what happens. I'm not real optimistic.

Those that say I should size them right, what would you recommend? I don't really want to use linotype boolits to try to maintain size.

My thanks to Outpost75 for the link. If I get lead, I'll order those.
    I would suggest using a lyman m-die for an expander. This expands the top part of your case in addition to belling the mouth. I use this type of expander for all my cast loads. That way the case doesn’t swage your bullet down so bad, and you still keep good neck tension.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I would suggest using a lyman m-die for an expander. This expands the top part of your case in addition to belling the mouth. I use this type of expander for all my cast loads. That way the case doesn’t swage your bullet down so bad, and you still keep good neck tension.
    How would an M die work better than the NOE expander plugs? At least the NOE expanders are available in several related sizes.
    John
    W.TN

I didn’t see that you had them.

Boolit Master
    I use the stainless steel tornado brushes when I need a brush. which is very rare. most of the times I use a brush is on a military rifle. I have been shooting .38 spl. brass in .357 pistols since I started shooting pistol in 71. never had a cylinder lead up.

Boolit Grand Master

I think you will find that the NOE inserts will do precisely the same job as the M die. They were patterned off the M die, after all.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i am at a loss why not use a bore brush for a pistol ? is there a reason or do you just prefer not to ? i didn't think a bore would harm the bore. have i been doing wrong ? please educate me.