RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: 450 Bushmaster test

Boolit Master

450 Bushmaster test

Test media; Water soaked catalogues
    Rifle; Ruger a Scout in 450 Bushmaster with Leaupold 2x Scout scope

Load #1 255 Grain Keith style PB HP loaded over 29 grains of H4227
    excellent disruption (big hole) 3-9" of the media and straight line penetration of the base of the bullet to 20". Alloy was = Lyman #2

Load #2 Hornady Black 250 grain FTX commercial loaded 17" of penetration great disruption of the media 4-9" then tapered down and great expansion but the Keith style was just as impressive.

Another test I did was a 370 Grain cast HP from one of my 480 Ruger Levergun at 1000 FPS it was impressive great penetration and disruption. The load is a easy shooting accurate from the rifles. These were cast from a MiHec Mould as well. The full wad cutter base of the bullet penetrating deep after it sheds the HP nose.

I realize none of this is scientific but from a co,parison point of view I was impressed with the performance of the HP in the same media. The FTX actually had more retained weight but penetrated less due to the width of the nose after opening up. Athe cast disrupted the media greatly then continued deeper with a full wad cutter base.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The bushmaster is a beast. Here's some group tests with the 1st and 2nd time I ever tried casting, loading, and shooting cast boolits. It was out of my brand new ruger American

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...)group-results

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...63#post4120763
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-03-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Boolit Master
    Good read there. I actually have both the Scout and American in this caliber. I have great accuracy with both. I really like the 255 grain Mihec HP PB cast from this rifle it is not top end but the performance was on par with the Hornady Black commercially loaded round which is proven performer on game up to and including elk and moose. I ordered a Magpul stock for the American hoping someday they actually make them and start shipping them. I really like this caliber and combination and may add a AR platform to the stable soon but first I am going to buy the #1 in this caliber. This caliber likes cast boolits for sure which makes it inexpensive to shoot and play around with. I like the 300 grain WFN in mine and the guns like it as well I have had great success with H4227 in this caliber with Cast boolits. Better than H110 and 5744.

I didn't know magpul was going to make a stock. I'll have to check it out. I'm thinking of a 22 bbl version. How do you like the scout. I figured it wouldn't be as accurate being there are no bedding blocks. What kind of accuracy have you been getting?...and with h227 along with your load. As good or better groups than I got? The only boolit I tried was the Lee 300 fn and I haven't shot it since my 2 nd test last year. New optics on just have to sight it in again. I would like to try a lighter hp boolit in it.

Boolit Master
    I have shot 1" groups at 75 yards from the bench with 26 grains of H4227 and the Keith style HP PB out of both guns. I love the Scout platform I have a 308 as well and they both shoot fantastic. Mr Cooper knows his stuff these are fantastic rifles. I have only a 2x scout scope on the Scout rifle and a Trijicon on the American so the optics advantage goes to the American. Yea the Magpul stock should be great improvement to the cheap plastic stock that it comes with. If they ever make them
    I will look up some of my loads and post them later today.

Boolit Master

I have been enjoying excellent results with a LYMAN 295G plain base bullet in my Bushmaster. I'm powder coating it and driving it to almost 1900fps with IMR4227. Zero anything in my barrel. Its also shooting sub MOA for me!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Good to see you here CW my 10mm brother... That is nice looking bullet and I agree the 4227 is an excellent powder for the 450 Bushmaster. I really have become enamoured with this round and its performance in my Ruger bolt guns has been fantastic. Like I was saying I am really chomping at the bit to get the Magpul stock on back order for months. The round is real thumper I like my 458 SOCOM but this 450 Bushmaster is taking over as one of my favorites. By the way I have to hold you responsible for separating me from some of my money by introducing me to DD holsters......For that I owe you thank you they are great. Keep,posting your results with PC boolits good stuff.

What kind of crimp are you guys using and what is your over all length? I had to play with AOL to get get the cartridges to feed out of my Americans magazine.

CW it' nice to see the accuracy your getting without GC! What alloy you using and what BH? Is that a 100 yard group? What gun did you shoot it out of?

I haven't tried 4227 yet. I'll have to find some load data for it.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-07-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Boolit Master
    Get the Lyman 50th edition it has good load data.

I am running

29.0 Grains of IMR 4227 behind a 300 Grain LFN GC cast. CCI Primer Excllent accuracy
    29.6 Grains of H4227 under a 270 Grain Kieth Style cast HP PB Great performance and it does not beat you up with recoil. This is great load for hunting. #2 Lyman alloy BH
    Atop end load not recommended for anything but varmints because the bullet really is explosive at this speed is an XTP HP over 37.5 grains of H4227. Work up to this load.

I am playing around with the Lehigh Defense Extreme defender bullet from the 450 Bushmaster and I suspect it will be an incredible performer for penetration and disruption of the media I test it in. You can drive the 200 Grain X bullet over 2400 FPS from the Bushmaster so the utility of this rifle and caliber is wide ranging.

I have decided I am going to add a AR upper to my collection.

Yeah, when I bought mine Jeff from gun last was running that Barnes bullet over 2600 fps with no pressure signs. I ran a 300fn with 40 gr of h110 with no pressure signs but the accuracy wasn't there, 3 1/2" groups. I have the Lyman 50th but only been playing with my 77/44 since I bought it.

Boolit Master

Ill have to double check..

But the gun is a 16” Ruger American

Yes 100Yards

Vel was just mid 1800’s. Do not remember charge but it was 4227

These had a BHN of 15 IIRC about a week after casting.

I havent shot it in a month or so. Been enamored with the Grendel and Sharps.

CW

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw