Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Questions about Lyman Molds

Boolit Bub

Questions about Lyman Molds

A few years back, people were complaining online that Lyman molds were throwing bullets on the small side. Instead of throwing a .359 or .360 bullet with Lyman #2, people were saying that their Lyman .358 molds were giving them .357 exactly or even smaller.

Anyway. I was wondering if anyone has brought a Lyman mold lately and what size bullets they've thown as I've been looking at the Lyman 358429 and the 358665 but keep hesitating to buy Lyman when I could get a built-to-order .360 mold for either bullet.

Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    I recently baught a Lyman mould for use in a buddy's 308 rifle. There was noe trouble sizing this to 309. Alloy was approximately 2sn3.5sb. They were easy to size but not to small for my use.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

If you really needed a Oversize Boolit you should look into getting a Mould from NOE Bullet Moulds. A few years back i had issues with a Lyman 314299 that wouldnt drop .314 Boolits, so i ordered the NOE version of the 314299 and it happily drops .315 boolits all day.

Since then ive bought 6 more moulds from NOE and they all drop boolits just like they should, and on the plus side they are significantly higher quality.

Both CBE and Accurate Moulds are also highly regarded, i just dont have as much experience with them

Boolit Bub
    Hunter74. Thanks for the post. It's encouraging that your recent mold is dropping big enough bullets.

jugulator. What you relate here is just what I'm worried about. A few years back was when a lot of people were disappointed. Lately, I've heard no bad stuff but I'd still hate to buy a couple of 4 cavity lyman's and then regret it.

Banned
    Be safe and put your money on a sure thing. Buy NOE you won't regret it.

I hear Lyman is trying to do better BUT, I've seen to much bad quality control, customer service, warranty that It will be some time before I put any real money into a new Lyman anything

Boolit Master
    I cast exclusively with Lyman #2 allow and my Lyman molds seem to drop right at the advertised size.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    Old Lyman and Ideal molds are worth their weight in gold. Current **** is most likely Chinese mfg by their inability to keep things consistent, round and to specs.

Richard B

Boolit Master
    I have never had a problem with Lyman molds whether they they were old or new production.I can't say the same for Lee molds.I doubt if any of the current production molds are made in China.

Boolit Bub
    Grmps. I checked that site. Nice looking stuff in brass or aluminum. Which is better?

Hick. Thanks for the advice. I will get two molds. One Lyman for sure. I have so much Lyman data it seems weird to not take at least one chance on them.

RichardB - did you have a bad experience?

KentT7021. Thanks Kent, Will get at least one Lyman.

Gentlemen, do any competent pros offer a service where they enlarge under-size molds?

Boolit Grand Master

Lee or Lyman might be a roll of the dice....if an NOE isn't dropping exactly as it should , Al will make sure to correct it....he doesn't want any unhappy campers.
    NOE also reproduces a lot of Lyman designs , current and discontinued and usually on the larger side , sizing down is easy.
    With NOE moulds I go with Aluminum because of the weight....I'm getting old.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"