Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Silly 30 cal mold question

Silly 30 cal mold question

I have experimented with a few different 30 cal molds loading for 30-06. I suppose I might eventually be tempted to buy a 300 Blackout/AAC upper and fool around with that, but for the sake of simplicity lets assume that I will just stick with my 30-06 as my sole 30 caliber rifle. I have cast and loaded the lee soup can, the lee 150 grain flat point, and the Noe 311-195 flat point and developed acceptable loads with each. I sort of wonder if I will bother continuing with the 150 grainer because the soup can is awesome for plinking and the 195 grain monster should do it for deer. Am I missing any other molds I should be fooling with? My applications are 100 yard target, 50 to 100 yard small game, and 100+ yard mule deer and hogs.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

It looks like the two keepers are about all you would need. I have multiple 30 cal molds, and a range of powders, so I just like to experiment. A lot depends on the twist in your 30-06 barrel; if it shoots the 180 gr well, it is probably pretty fast twist. Unless you are going for high power rifle matches, or something like that, it sounds like you have it covered with the soup can and 311-195.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

I've gotten excellent accuracy from the C309-170-F, although folks here say the C309-150-F shoots just as well.

Boolit Master
    If you aren"t bothered by owning an assortment you might try the Lyman 311284. It's a real work horse; for hunting or targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    If you aren"t bothered by owning an assortment you might try the Lyman 311284. It's a real work horse; for hunting or targets.
    And assortment of molds is what I have for 38/357. Wondering if I need to do the same for 30 caliber.

The 311284 is a big boolit. Twist is 11" in my rifle. When I get tags for mulies, the terrain is pretty open so shots can be longer. Thinking the biggest, longest boolit that gives good accuracy is what I want. Have a 150 yard load with the noe mold. Would I gain anything with the lyman?

Boolit Master
    You might check out the Mihec 311 410 mold that is for a 130 gr GC boolit that is adjustable for a flat point, shallow HP, and deep HP. It is apparently a favorite among blackout shooters and shoots very well in my 308 and 30/30. I have seen that there is occasionally a group buy for this mold. Although there are no hogs in this state, it seems almost perfect for your uses.

Boolit Master
    A little more horsepower because of the added weight. Too it carries well at a distance.

Boolit Master

I'm not going to say you have enough. You specified one caliber, but not the firearm(s). If you have more than one rifle in that caliber, don't limit your choices. What works well in a bolt action may not be satisfactory in a semi-auto. Keep an open mind (and an open wallet).

2 moulds that I've had just did great in about every 30 and 31 cal rifle I've shot them in were the Lee 185-312 and the RCBS 165 Sil. The 165 is already a flat point , File a flat point on the Lee 185 and there's your deer bullet
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Only have a bolt gun in 30-06, and I don't really see myself adding more.

Boolit Grand Master

For practical use I'd say you are fine. If you are an invertebrate tinker, you are just getting started!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!