WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: howdy folks!

Boolit Bub

howdy folks!

new fella here
    Ive been tapping into this site relentlessly as I leap down the rabbit hole of reloading, figured it was time to belly up to the plank and join in.
    names Shane, Im a custom knifemaker in texas, and every time someone would tell me they wanted to be a knifemaker Id warn em it leads to gunsmithing and reloading.
    do both a lil as a hobby to relax from forging and grinding knives.
    been focusing primarily on tooling up, reading up, and hoarding lead, lino, and WW.
    this fall when we get back from out annual trip out east Ill be building a dedicated gunsmithing and reloading room off the custom knife shop as its become blatantly obvious that the two arnt going to play nice together, lol. man oh man what a great problem to have, love this stuff....any way Ill stop blatherin on now and go back to a bit o lurking and poking around a bit. thanks again everyone for your help over the last 6 months of me snoopin about as a non-member.
    Shane Stainton
    Red Dog Forge

Boolit Master
    Well, hello! Don't be shy about asking questions or sharing tips..... the rest of us sure ain't!

'Cept fer Fred. But maybe he'll come around.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned
    RedDogForge - welcome to CB. If you decided to start casting to save money, forget it. You won't, you'll just shoot more.
    Casting boolits (lead bullets) properly is a science, once you know the basics, not a hard science.
    There is a lot of good information on CB. The Google search (top right of every forum page) is a gateway to all the knowledge on this forum. IF you can’t find your answer there ask the question (Please be as detailed as possible, pictures help http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...g-screen-shots I would be very surprised if there wasn’t someone on this forum that could answer ANY (firearm related) question you might have)
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
    1. Boolits need to be cast .0005 to .003 (normally .002) over the slugged diameter of your barrel for accuracy and to avoid leading. If the fit is wrong nothing else will work right.
    a. slugging a barrel (it is safer to use a brass rod or a steel rod with a couple of coats of tape to avoid damaging your barrel http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm
    b. chamber casting https://www.brownells.com/guntech/ce....htm?lid=10614
    or pound casting http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rifle-chamber)
    2. the right alloy needs to be used for the velocity and purpose of the boolit (don’t fall into the trap of going with too hard an alloy
    Economical way to easily test lead hardness
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rdness-testing

Some alloys harden over time
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chap...Metallurgy.htm
    different alloy’s different end sizes

Lead alloy calculator
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...4&d=1341560870
    3. velocity the bullet needs to be pushed hard/fast enough to get the proper spin, have the proper velocity to accurately reach the target but not so hard as to be dangerous or strip the lead off in the grooves instead of spinning the boolit..
    The boolit needs to be the right weight for the riffling/twist rate of your barrel
    Powders range from fast to slow, you need to choose the right powder for your barrel length & application.
    Loading manuals list the best powders for certain calibers and boolit weights.
    NEVER use any posted noncommercial load data without first checking commercial load data to see if falls in the safe parameter for your firearm!! There are several firearms out there that can handle much higher pressures than others!!
    Link to free online load data
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources

Boolit Master
    Welcome, need new youngins to learn from the elders. I cant be the only one interested! Its addictive to hold your own ambitions and fates in your abilities. Share yours. Knives? I carry one every day and Im the only one out of 30 or so people that work for me. Its only right to share your accomplishments! Whats your company?

Welcome from a long time lurker.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome Aboard! Feel free to ask questions and join in. Share your progress as you learn and get better. Would love to see some pictures of your knives.

Boolit Master

Welcome to the Silver stream of lead, pull up a chair and pour a couple. Be aware Galina (top of the page riding the bullet) will mesmerize you for life.

Boolit Master
    Before you do anything get at least three current loading manuals. Read those manuals. Study those manuals.
    Find someone local that may be able to help you in person.
    The reason? Because on a forum, eapecially for a new loader if a question is asked you will receive several responses that can be close or far apart. That seems good but is it. If you are new how do you know which advice to take? Most of the time you don't. Advice is generally worth what you pay for it on the average. Bullet casting is as hard as you want to make it. It depends on you. Reloading is the same way. Just try to find someone to help you where you live. There is always someone that is willing to help to get another started and also to be able to help along the way.
    Remember what I have said is "advice" just like the others before me. Take it for what it is worth from someone who has been reloading for 48 years in many calibers.

Again I meant no harm in what I said. Just giving an opinion based on my findings. Please dont take it in any way as to be mean or harmful to any one.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 07-01-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Well howdy back at ya from the great white north (almost)

Northern Minnesota jack of all trades who jumped the river and is living in North Dakota here.

Your off to a good start. Keep reading. Good crew here.

Enjoy!

Welcome aboard Shane. If you've been lurking then you know there are no dumb questions with this group. If they have been asked and answered some will direct you to that thread and others will just chime in.

Now my moderator hat. This is not to preach to you just maybe help as you work your way thru this forum. In the General section when you first log on is a frequency asked questions section in it is information you may need. Also, while you are not eligible to POST in Swapping & Selling (S&S) until you have 30 posts, you should read the rules. Doesn't mean you can't buy.

You can see how many posts you have by looking at the top of the page when you log in. Post count builds when ever you post something except in S&S or The Pit. The other number is the forum post count since you last logged in touch that and it will show them to you.

If you have a technical question or problem about the Forum, the Moderators are here to help. Just Private Message (PM) one of us and we'll get you an answer.
    Off soap box.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Welcome to the forum, Shane. There are lots of folks here interested in knives and knife making, so I'll bet that you have a lot to contribute besides benefiting from what they know about boolit casting. We'll be looking forward to chatting with you.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the madness! There is amazing knowledge and honest goodness here. You will soon have a bunch of friends that you have never met....

Boolit Bub
    thanks everyone and thank you very much for that bH chart! Id just downloaded that book last night from here! VERY handy that, making a BH tester soon, ie the spring back bolt mounted to a tailstock on a lathe style. Ill post pics and how to's when I actually get around to farbicating it. we leave in a couple weeks and have to get ready so itll wait till I get back.
    as far as my work heres a couple pics.
    Im a custom maker primarily and my books are closed for now but if anyone needs any knifemaking advice Im a phone call away
    518 703 5312
    dont let that albany area code fool you im in texas so CST, no calls after 9 please
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	222961
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wardbowie.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	222962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dressbowie.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	222963

Welcome RedDogForge.

You won't find a better site to learn about the hobby and art of boolit casting than this site. I joined the site New Years Day in 2006. A tremendous amount of information to be had here. I've been casting for about 32 years now. I learned more my first 6-7 months here, than I had ever known from my own experiences on my own.

As some have already stated, there are no dumb questions. So don't be shy about asking regardless of how silly you may think it is. It may just be a heck of a lot more important than you thought and save you a lot of problems.

Great looking knives by the way, I'm a sucker for a Bowie.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

I love Damascus blades! Those look like nice work.
    Don

Boolit Buddy
    Wow. Those are pretty.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Nice looking knives!

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the forum. I can be found in the 518 but I see you got out. Good for you this state sucks. Nice looking knifes you have there. Ask read and ask some more. Welcome aboard
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    well howdy back at ya and welcome aboard.

Boolit Buddy

Welcome Red Dog! Best thing you can do is keep collecting lead! Eventually start smelting. Then when you're ready, start casting.
    I have a feeling you'll do real well at it!
    BTW, nice looking knives!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast