MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35 Remington UNIQUE (158gr)

Boolit Bub

35 Remington UNIQUE (158gr)

thinking of making some Unique loads for 35 remington. light projectiles (ones i use in 357mag), only about 158gr or so. Would 7-10gr of unique still be a decent starting point? Just looking for plinking and dueling tree action.

the 158gr out of a 38sp does NOT flip the plates.

Should work just fine . 10gr of unique works well in a lot of different rifle loads. My 35 REM plinking round is a powder coated 124gr. RN sized .359 and loaded over 6.5gr. TiteGroup. Welcome to the forum. Gp

Boolit Bub
    sounds good. thanks! i've tried liquid a lox and powder coating. i can't seem to get a consistent sticking of the powder coat to the bullet unless i preheat then it sticks to well and clumps.

These pistol powders in rifle cases don't seem very sensitive to case capacity, and loads work well even when they look too small.

I get very good results from as little as nine of Unique in 350RM and 35Wh with either a 158swc or 200rnfp. Well, the swc feeds poorly, but shoots well.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot a lot of 358477's and TL358-158-SWCs in my 35 Rem over Unique (no filler). Using 9 gr pushes them just over 1400 fps (26" barrel) with ok accuracy. Best accuracy with Unique is with 6 gr at 1050 to 1100 fps. Better yet is with 3 gr Bullseye at 850 fps.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I used to use 12 grs of Unique and a 158 swc in my .358 Norma 98 Mauser. Fun,fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Lady88 may I ask what 35Wh is. I was thinking it might be 35 Whelen. I just happen to have a 35Whelen and 35Rem
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    I don't remember if I tried Unique in the 35 Remington, as I have only played with that powder a few times. My neighbor had a lever action in 35 rem and wanted light loads. 8+ grains of red dot and a 158 plated 357 mag bullet made for a great light load. Less powder caused problems with the primers backing out, from what I remember.

As usual, start at a safe load and work up or down. For light rifle loads, sometimes starting hotter (with a book load, or well documented load) is better so you know the bullets will exit, then work down if you are looking for a very light load.

The longer barrel of a rifle really helps the velocity. Even my 9mm carbine (AR style) hits the dueling tree much harder than a pistol with the same ammo.

I am a huge fan of pistol and shotgun powders in 30 cal rifles and all of my shooting is at steel plates, reactive steel, or cardboard. It is easy on the shooter, ears, and wallet. X2 on small amounts of the correct powder working just fine in a rifle case. Some are position sensitive (but still may work fine) so just find out the particulars for the powder you will use.

Quote Originally Posted by Outer Rondacker View Post
    Lady88 may I ask what 35Wh is. I was thinking it might be 35 Whelen. I just happen to have a 35Whelen and 35Rem
    Yes, the great old Whelen. I thought that just 35W could too easily be confused with the two Winchester rounds, WCF & WSL, thus the "h" added.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for clearing that up for me. I now have two cals to look forward to playing with light loads on. Thanks guys.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    I shoot Lyman 358311 (161gr)out of my model 14 Remington. 7gr of Unique gives 1200 out of the 22" barrel.
    Nice and mild with excellent accuracy. Can't say if it will flip steel plates, all I ever did with it was kill paper and balloons. 7 1/2gr of Red Dot is a little faster, but still just as mild and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by CGT80 View Post
    I don't remember if I tried Unique in the 35 Remington, as I have only played with that powder a few times. My neighbor had a lever action in 35 rem and wanted light loads. 8+ grains of red dot and a 158 plated 357 mag bullet made for a great light load. Less powder caused problems with the primers backing out, from what I remember.
    The .35 Rem having such a small shoulder is very prone to shoulder setback when using light loads. How do I know? My first exploit in casting was for my Dad's 336 Marlin, and I shot a short ton of semiwadcutters out of it using light loads. Headspace opened up and opened up and opened up again, which was evidenced by proud primers.

Fix: Use PISTOL primers. They don't drive the case forward as violently when they fire.

You can also open the flash hole to .090. Mark modified cases as they mustn't ever be used with full power loads.

I no longer shoot light loads in anything but rimmed cases.
    Cognitive Dissident

I've found that in the 30-30 win that 9.0 gr of Unique with a cast RNPF 150 gr GC (actually closer to 145 gr) works well for reduced light loads. Mine shoot sub-1" groups at 50 yards with a velocity around 1450fps or so. I see no reason that the standard "10 gr Unique in any rifle cartridge" (standard statement) wouldn't be a good start in the 35 rem. It should be a nice plinking load as well as an effective "bunny load".

just my opinion ...

jd

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    The .35 Rem having such a small shoulder is very prone to shoulder setback when using light loads. How do I know? My first exploit in casting was for my Dad's 336 Marlin, and I shot a short ton of semiwadcutters out of it using light loads. Headspace opened up and opened up and opened up again, which was evidenced by proud primers.

Fix: Use PISTOL primers. They don't drive the case forward as violently when they fire.

You can also open the flash hole to .090. Mark modified cases as they mustn't ever be used with full power loads.

I no longer shoot light loads in anything but rimmed cases.
    I think I did end up using pistol primers for the 35 Remington.....it has been a few years. I don't think I opened up flash holes and I know I did not do that to my 30-30 cases since I may shoot warmer loads as well and rifle primers work fine, although I did try pistol primers for the heck of it. Of course it is a rimmed case.....
    The 35 Remington loads were a good learning experience with guidance from this forum, while the 30-30 has been plain easy and forgiving to load for.

You can use any primer you want in the .30-30, and never need to open flash holes. It's a rimmed case, so the headspace can't be affected.

I've sometimes thought about creating a rimmed .35 Remington. All it takes is shortening .30-40 Krag brass. But I built a .35 Krag instead. Longer neck is more cast-friendly, and more powder space, too. I'm a fan of the .35 caliber. Someday I'll put together a .35/.30-30 rifle, too. If spared.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    ...But I built a .35 Krag instead. Longer neck is more cast-friendly, and more powder space, too. I'm a fan of the .35 caliber. ...
    That has to be about as near perfect of a cast cartridge as could be made:

> .35
    > Rim
    > Loong Neck
    > Medium Capacity
    > Modest Pressure

~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

I used to use 11.0gr Unique in my two boys 35 Remington, Marlin 336 rifles using the Lyman 358315 (201gr) with better than one inch groups at 100 yards. That was with them shooting them at 11 or 12 years old from the bench, not me. Proud to say that now, 20+ years later, that if they can see a buck, at any range, it's dead meat!

Shorter bullets would not cycle well through from the tube magazine.
    A deplorable that votes!

IIRC I went to just over 13 grains with 158 grain pistol boolit to get a Remington Model 8 to cycle.

Weird old rifle, but about a 12 on a 1-10 coolness scale for the weirdness of the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    IIRC I went to just over 13 grains with 158 grain pistol boolit to get a Remington Model 8 to cycle.

Weird old rifle, but about a 12 on a 1-10 coolness scale for the weirdness of the thing.
    Regarding the Model 8 and this is sort of off topic, but look into John Browning's autoloading conversion of a 92 Winchester 44 40 if you want to see a weird rifle!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Have long wished for a Model 8, mostly for the fact that it is the rifle that the .35 Remington was designed for. And one was allegedly used in the famous ambush of Bonnie & Clyde Barrow. Fate has been unkind to me in this regard - I still don't have one.

That Browning 92 mod must have been his prototype for the 1895 Colt "potato digger" machine gun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFP-ZAlyRgg
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast