Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Disassemble Star Lubesizer

Boolit Master

Disassemble Star Lubesizer

Bought a nice looking old machine that’s been sitting unused for 20+ years, cleaning it up to put it into service.

At the bottom of the lube tube is a nut with a metal washer under it.

Around that washer is some wet rusty looking seepage. I’ve wiped most of it off, but am thinking that I want to take that part of the machine apart to see if there is a problem in there.

I have the pdf parts diagram and manual from Magma, but it isn’t clear about where it is wise vs unwise to disassemble things.

What do ya’ll who have taken these apart think is the best approach.

I’d post a pic, but the forum software is incomprehensible to me.

Boolit Master

If you take that nut off you will be able to empty the lube reservoir thru that hole. It also allows bleeding air out that occasionally gets trapped when changing lube sticks. If you pour melted lube in for refilling you avoid that problem completely.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    If you take that nut off you will be able to empty the lube reservoir thru that hole. It also allows bleeding air out that occasionally gets trapped when changing lube sticks. If you pour melted lube in for refilling you avoid that problem completely.
    Thanks, didn’t know that it had a burp hole!

Boolit Master
    Put a long wrench on it and it’s not interested in moving. Looks like right hand threads, anything locking it in place?

Boolit Master
    A few mild taps on the end of the wrench and it came loose. Cleaned up, but find no burp hole. Looks to me like it’s just a lock nut to keep the tube in place. There is a hole further up the tube, it I assume that is to let air in above the piston.

Boolit Master

Sorry--I misread your post and thought you meant the bleed at the bottom of the reservoir.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    Sorry--I misread your post and thought you meant the bleed at the bottom of the reservoir.
    There is a brass or copper plug that looks like it provides access to the pumping mechanism, is that the bleed hole?

In your experience, better to load sticks of lube, or just pour it in melted and let it cool for a while?

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Yes, that is the bleed hole. When cleaning or changing lubes you unscrew this screw and use a hair dryer or heat gun to melt the lube and this hole makes it easier to clean it all out.
    Every person has his way but if you have solid sticks then you may load pieces or the entire stick if needed. I also like pouring melted lube in as it stops any air pockets like those when filled with sticks.
    I also use air pressure on my Star as it gives you a smooth, easy lube on each bullet. the kit is cheap and all you need is a 7 gal air tank like those sold at Wally World. The air set up puts lube in all the needed areas without having to run more than once. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet