Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why isn’t there a forum for cast bullet competition/accuracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    ....Makes no difference to me if a forum is started for cast boolit competition area. Contact NO 1 and try to persuade him.
    Forgive my ignorance. Who is “ No. 1”? Let’s get the “ cast bullet accuracy” forum started.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by catboat View Post
    This sight has many forums. None are dedicated to cast bullet competition. (benchrest equips/rifles/offhand/ benchrest scores or group size).

Yes , I am aware of the cast bullet association and their website. Why not a little taste of it over here on this site?

I would like to read about accuracy loads, cartridges used, bullets used, accuracy tidbits, scopes used, barrels/twists, and results ( score and or groups) regarding factory, custom and military guns - in one arena. Basis: accuracy.

We all read/ visit multiple websites. Why not overlap and include, versus ignore an enjoyable and challenging aspect of cast bullet shooting?

I vote to start a “ competition/ accuracy” forum on this site.
    I've been around this forum long enough to see many requests for new sections and/or sub-forums, most requests are unsuccessful. It's quite simple though, the "Powers that be" (whomever they are at the time), respond to action, as opposed to requests.

What I'm saying is, if I thought this was a stellar idea, which I don't, but if I did, I'd start posting Accuracy/competition threads in the "CB Loads, Your Favorite Cartridge" section. I'd start suggesting others to do the same, and would suggest those that do, to make the title of the thread start with Accuracy/Competition: ...then mention the caliber and gun in the title.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...rite-Cartridge

So I edited a title of one of my old threads in that forum, to give you a start.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...33#post2656133

Then once that section is flooded with Accuracy/Competition threads, the "Powers that be" will quickly make a sub-forum for this new activity, quite likely without even being formally asked to do so.
    That's my 2¢
    Jon
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 07-05-2018 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added link
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by catboat View Post
    Forgive my ignorance. Who is “ No. 1”? Let’s get the “ cast bullet accuracy” forum started.
    If you click on T.O.S. on the toolbar at the top of the page, you'll see the "Terms Of Service", listed at the end of that, is the website owner and the Server owner.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cmps_index.php?page=TOS
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    How about having an informal cast boolit competition thread?

I kinda like the idea of a sub-forum but just a thread will do. Not interested in high tech or who can shoot better but rather in how y'all are doing, what with and how. Keep it informal and fun. An opportunity to show off a bit too. Or lament maybe. Give me a motivation to get out to the range and see if I can do it too. A place to see your all's results.

I have one or two extra sporterized Lee Enfields that could be dedicated to plain cast target and paper patched too. Open sight and scoped. I'm leaning back toward open sights for some reason.

Anyway, here is one of my stranger sporterized rifles that is looking for a purpose in life.

Then there is this one with a very good No4 barrel on a 1902 MLE action that once shot a near MOA group with cast. It too needs to see the light of day.

Like an online postal shoot sort of thing where we all use a pre-chosen (printable) target and shoot it at a set distance? I'd be in for that. Another forum I used to frequent used these targets for scoring, though they limited the caliber to .338. If need be, we could use a different target for big bores, and maybe have one for handguns too.

Green

http://www.southpondcottages.com/metaleer/10Joe-.pdf

Black

http://www.southpondcottages.com/met...Joe-BLACKa.pdf

Oh, and I'd be interested in pitting my Savage made No 4 Mk 1* against yours. It's a heck of a shooter.
    Last edited by am44mag; 07-05-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Something like that sounds good to me. I'd suggest starting out very informal. Just show us the groups stating range and groups size. Load details and gun would be helpful I think, for those of us who would like to compare loads.

We could ask for a sticky thread.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I am with randyrat on the bullseye thing, we shoot matches twice a month and I do it for fun and something to do. The only score I care about is my own.

I cast my own bullets for Bullseye for my .45 rounds. Most of the guys I shoot with think I am crazy for doing so but to me it is all part of the process.
    I shoot with a great bunch of people and we talk about everything under the sun except the match and that suites me fine. No need to ruin a match
    by talking it to death.

Boolit Master
    I shoot for myself and am overjoyed when I get a really nice group, especially with a piece that I have been having trouble with.

Like RandyRat I am told by my Doc that I have had a visit from that "arthur" guy, probably from cranking on mill and lathe handles for nearly 50 years.

I haven't let it stop me from shooting, but my hands can't seem to hold onto things unless I really pay attention. My mind is also getting to where it can't seem to hold on to people's names either.

I used to shoot in competition, but haven't in many years. I just like going to the range and seeing what I can do with some of the junk from my safe. It's also good talking to other like-minded people, kind of like this forum. (Great people here)

I want to see what other people are doing too. 'Specially with troublesome guns. Somehow they seem to be more fun, as challenging as they may be. I admit I also enjoy seeing really small groups that some folks are achieving.

So post those pictures please!

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post

Oh, and I'd be interested in pitting my Savage made No 4 Mk 1* against yours. It's a heck of a shooter.
    Well then, I had better get downstairs and load up some rounds. I have a Longbranch No4 Mk 1* five groove. Actually, I have mint Longbranch two groove. And a Fazakerley (I think) Mk 1 two groove. Yeah, three of the things and I've never taken one to a range! Mine are all 'sporterized', some better than others.

I haven't loaded up any ammo so I can't go to the range tomorrow. Actually, I need to do some casting first anyway. Maybe I can do that tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    I compete in IHMSA silhouette matches and although every shooter has a classifacation based on their shooting ability, the only person I feel I'm competing against is me trying to beat my previous score. These matches are the bases of my reason to start reloading and cast my own boolits. I have thought about backing off of competeing but I think I would miss the structure of the rules and regulation and still have fun. As a fleeting thought, some one mentioned having an informal match such as a postal match where one can shoot that their own range at thir own pace and either post their targets or send them to someone for scoring. The prize I guess , could be just bragging rights. Just a thought
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

I sent “ number 1” an email with a request to start an “ accuracy” forum on this website.

Haven’t received a response yet. Perhaps if others did the same to add support. Here is contact info to do so:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?33573-No_1

Hope it happens. Should be some good reading, and picture viewing, and just fun.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i can't shoot good enough to contribute in any way but i wouldn't mind reading about those who can so why not.

Banned

I like the idea. Lately, I have come to the realization that most of my shooting anymore is done with cast in (usually) various .30 caliber rifles at 100 yards. Sometimes from a bench, sometimes from various modified sitting positions on my front porch. I've been contemplating getting a more specialized ifle, some kind of heavy .308, and possibly giving the cast bench rest matches a try.

I don't routinely weigh individual bullets, experiment with different lubes, etc., might make me a better caster and shooter if I had a forcing function like competition to increase my attention to detail like that.

I post accuracy threads all the time. I had one in the Casting for Shotguns Forum with a 2.5" 3 shot slug group shot at 50 yards,,, offhand..

I showed a .125" 5 shot group in the Airguns Forum.

I just put up a 1" 5 shot group from my Mini14 the other day and nobody including me saw that happening.

I see accuracy threads all the time. The competiton is not about who's a better shot, it's about who gets more comments on their shooting. I like it that way as I always get comments.

If you go over to Calguns you can see what happens when people don't think you're "all that."
    My Mini14 thread started a war over there with the Mini Haters out in force. Matters not if they actually know what they are talking about, they express themselves anyway, and can get quite shippy about it.

I personally don't think we need any more "Forums." You can find plenty of related topics to show off your Shooting Results in places already here. I do it all the time.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

W.R.B.,

Sounds like a problem with calguns people. Not castboolits.com people. Sorry you had a bad experience. It is important to support and learn from each other.

I would like think that if you shot a 1” group with cast bullets, and posted it here, you would get an “atta boy” or questions about what you did to get such good results.

Hope you can see the benefits of sharing your experiences here.
    Last edited by catboat; 07-07-2018 at 09:55 PM.

I would love to see a competition cast post. I started casting again. I'm struggling a little with the basics right now. but I'm shooting good.
    I have several rifles To practice with I shoot in the Tressel Valley Longshots In ND.

Boolit Grand Master

I am for it. However there should be some easily used standards as to target used and number of shots. This will give the threads/posts a "standard" for accuracy comparison. Otherwise I see no need for another sub-forum.

Targets used would separate out the "accuracy" category of different firearms and sights used. The same target can be used for both score and groups. For rifles the standard 100 yard military rifle bullseye target for use with iron sights. The 600/100 reduced bullseye can be used for scoped rifles. Range should be 100 yards. Score or group should be 10 shots. Single shot handguns would fall under these guidelines also.

For hand gun the standard 25 yard pistol bullseye can be used for iron sights or handguns with optics. Again the target can be used for score or group. Range should be 25 or 50 yards. Ten shots for score or group.

Position used with either firearm should be posted. Picture of firearm used should be posted. Complete load detail should also be posted.

As stated having simple to follow guidelines will allow valid comparison of "accuracy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    The Cast Bullet Association has been running various competitions since 1977 so it is not really necessary to wait around for the forum owner to add another forum. There are formal competitions as well as the postal matches. Below is a list of the officers and directors. If you would locate the director for your state, perhaps they can answer any questions you have. It might also be that they can help you find local shooters that are involved in these matches and help you get started if that is your interest.

President:
    John Alexander
    3751 SW Cascade Vista Dr.
    Redmond, OR 97756
    (541)526-1424
    email: John_Alexander@umit.maine.edu

Vice President:
    Edward B. Camp
    8016 Wayne Ave
    Kansas City, MO 64131
    (816)-333-7559
    email: ecamp56961@AOL.com

Secretary:
    Mitch Miglaccio
    15907 80th Ave E
    Puyallup, WA 98375-6882
    (253)841 1218
    email: yellowing@comcast.net

Treasurer:
    Loren Barber
    4995 Jamaca Ave N
    Lake Elmo, MN 55042
    (651)770-6887
    email: loren.barber.jr@gmail.com

Publication Editor:
    Glenn R. Latham
    6465 Parfet St.
    Arvada, CO 80004
    (303)421-9237
    email: grlatham@comcast.net
    Contact Glenn for Fouling Shot Advertising Rates and availability and article contributions.

Director of Registered Competitions:
    Ed Krasny
    2811 Hampshire Rd.
    Ann Arbor, MI 48104
    (734)971-5077
    email: edkrasny@comcast.net
    Contact Ed for Benchrest Match information and questions.

Director of Membership:
    David Reiss
    4206 S. Elm Ave.
    Santa Fe, TX 77517
    (281)935-7610
    email: chefreiss@gmail.com

Director of Military Competitions:
    Andrew Sedivy
    2629 S Cornelia St
    Sioux City, IA 51106
    712-898-6989
    email: drewseabee@yahoo.com

Director of Postal Competitions:
    Michael Kastning
    Box 744
    Elk Point, SD 57025
    (605)761-0045
    email: mkastning@thermobond.com
    Contact Michael for Postal Match applications and information.

Director of Services:
    David Reiss
    4206 S. Elm Ave.
    Santa Fe, TX 77517
    (281)935-7610
    Contact for: match regulations, rule book, targets; bylaws and CBA Merchandise.

Co-Webmaster:
    David Reiss
    4206 S. Elm Ave.
    Santa Fe, Texas 77517
    (281)935-7610
    Contact for: Website questions, link exchange information and online advertising rates and availability.

Co-Webmaster:
    Jeff Brown
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    email: info@beavergrease.co.nz
    Contact for: Website questions.

Immediate Past President:
    Dan L. Hudson
    Iowa City, IA
    (319)338-6176
    email: dlnlhud@centutylink.net

Director of Region 1:
    CT, MA, ME, NH, NY, RI, VT, NS, PQ
    Russell J Burchsted
    115 Grove Ave.
    Wilmington, MA 01887
    (978)694-8909
    email: rrbjr1994@verizon.net

Director of Region 2:
    DE, MD, NJ, PA, VA, WV
    Scott Lowther
    42 Cool Glen Circle
    Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
    (304)725-3374
    email: scott@progressive-printing.com

Director of Region 3:
    AL, FL, GA, MS, NC, SC, TN
    Bill Higgins
    3004 Clover Hill Rd
    Indian Trail, NC 28079
    (704) 635-8121
    email: whiggins@2kbill.net

Director of Region 4:
    IL, IN, KY, MI, 0H, WI,ON
    Stan Livingston
    P.O. Box 412
    Oquawka IL 61469
    (309)371-9709
    email: stan2350n@yahoo.com

Director of Region 5:
    CO, IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD,MB
    Tom Acheson
    2956 Mary St.
    Maplewood, MN 55109
    (651)770-3219
    email: achesontom@hotmail.com

Director of Region 6:
    AR, LA, OK, TX
    Ivan Rogers
    602 W. Cherokee Ave.
    Stillwater, OK 74075
    (405)714-8805
    email: ivanrogers@hotmail.com

Director of Region 7:
    AK, ID, MT, OR, WA, WY, AB, BC, SK, YT
    Roger Ulrich
    18828 181st Pl NE
    Woodinville, WA 98077
    (425)788-4715
    email: quiltedgun@msn.com

Director of Region 8:
    AZ, CA, HI, NM, NV, UT
    Bob Birmley
    47 Pinon Ave.
    Cimarron NM 87714
    (575) 383-1022
    email: lunker@q.com

Visit their home page and look at the match results. If that is your interest, quit waiting and jump in.

Still, there there is no reason why there can’t be a forum on this site for accuracy and even informal competition ( or just showing off groups, with equipment and load discussion.

Why not? Hope the moderator and “number 1” see the value of it. Look at the number of hits this thread has generated. I believe an accuracy reporting forum on this website would be one of the most popular. Cast bullet shooters like to shoot. Why not give them a venue to show off their starting group or score, and see how they improve. The CBA charges for the postal shoots. Maybe some folks ( And I think it will be a good number of people) will shoot, and post their informal target results. As Larry Gibson posted, there would be a benefit to a shooter-supplied standard target if shooting for score. Doesn’t get much easier, or lower cost than that.

Hello “ number 1”, can you please make this happen? An accuracy forum please.

Boolit Master

There are a couple of guys here that I think used to shot a fun, but competitive match on Tuesdays.
    Think they shot at burritos, or maybe that was the prize.
    Something like that.
    I shoot only against myself, so competitive shooting is not my main interest.
    I have learned a lot here and have thoroughly enjoyed my years here as it now runs.

Of course there are threads that I never follow because they do not interest me, but is a simple finger stroke choice by the user.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast