RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why isn’t there a forum for cast bullet competition/accuracy?

Why isn’t there a forum for cast bullet competition/accuracy?

This sight has many forums. None are dedicated to cast bullet competition. (benchrest equips/rifles/offhand/ benchrest scores or group size).

Yes , I am aware of the cast bullet association and their website. Why not a little taste of it over here on this site?

I would like to read about accuracy loads, cartridges used, bullets used, accuracy tidbits, scopes used, barrels/twists, and results ( score and or groups) regarding factory, custom and military guns - in one arena. Basis: accuracy.

We all read/ visit multiple websites. Why not overlap and include, versus ignore an enjoyable and challenging aspect of cast bullet shooting?

I vote to start a “ competition/ accuracy” forum on this site.
    Last edited by catboat; 06-30-2018 at 11:21 AM.

Boolit Master

This is the anti-cba site. Or at least it was. Some infiltration has occurred, with cba'ers glibly telling newbies how to get it done with benchrest dies and benchrest barrels with benchrest Chambers.

There was, IIRC, some postal matches here.

Do what you want, but I got into casting in order to better enjoy, and better utilize, all of my non-benchrest, non-long range, non-varmint equipment. I've spent enough time squeezing groups. I want to enjoy shooting more and tweaking less.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

I agree with the HangFire, if I can shoot 2-4” 100 yard groups with iron sights and my 70 year old eyes I am a happy shooter.

Boolit Master
    Not anti-CBA as shown by the flag add at the bottom of the page. Just a different focus. It is good for both forums to offer a wide range of interests, but not necessarily be duplicated.

Boolit Master
    Most of my interest in cast rifle loading is accuracy and cost savings. I'm not interested in benchrest but I shoot a lot off hand. I would like to see a place for cast accuracy and competition

I'm am a member at both sites just prefer Cast Boolits over Cast bullets and they take it as an insult if I slip. I have learned a lot over there, just not as active since I don't shoot single shots and have no interest in competition. Makes no difference to me if a forum is started for cast boolit competition area. Contact NO 1 and try to persuade him.

Boolit Buddy
    Ugh, I saw “competition” and thought, “good idea”. Then I continued reading and saw bench rest, barrel twist and group size... Yawn.

I shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge. To me, that’s competition. I doze off chatting with the grey beards at the bench rest matches. Luckily they take a shot every 30 minutes to wake me up.

There are others that shoot Cowboy Action, then there’s the Bianchi Cup Guys, the trap shooters, the skeet folks, air gun guys and many more.

Point is, competition in the shooting sports means different things to every person. I suppose you could call it accuracy.

I’d be ok with a forum devoted to “ cast bullet accuracy.”

If you don’t want to read about it, don’t click it.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have no interest in shooting matches with specialized rifles or handguns having no practical purpose.

I'm fine with getting the best performance from military surplus and ordinary hunting rifles, service, collectible, outdoor packing and cowboy guns. I never saw much point in spending thousands of dollars to build rule beater guns with no practical use. Sort of a luxury like a top fuel dragster you can't drive on the street. Way beyond a retired or working guy's means...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I tend to agree with Outpost on most of this. I would very much like to do 25, 50, 75, 100 yard online matches with factory sporting rifles, 22's, pistols, revolvers, etc, but I would very much like to keep it informal and in an "On your Honor" basis. Have them verified by your Range Officer for entry into the comp. We don't have to do "take a shot every 10 min" comps, but define it how we see fit. Such as cast boolit rifle, 25 yards, under 2000fps but over 1500, centerfire, 10 shot group fired inside 90 sec. Or standing pistol, 10 shots 60 sec, 10 yards, must cycle the action loads. Or even team trials where each member of the team has to fire one round of a 5 round group with the same rifle or pistol. Point is, you could make the comp anything you wanted, we don't have to follow the traditional rules or use high dollar guns in the comps. Other comps can be set up to use the high dollar guns and 10 minute shot intervals if they wanted in another comp. I know I wouldn't be a part of those, the most expensive gun that wasn't gifted that I actually paid for was less than 600 bucks. Some might see that as expensive like I do, some see that as a weekly budget for a gun.

Competition Thread

How about having an informal cast boolit competition thread?

I kinda like the idea of a sub-forum but just a thread will do. Not interested in high tech or who can shoot better but rather in how y'all are doing, what with and how. Keep it informal and fun. An opportunity to show off a bit too. Or lament maybe. Give me a motivation to get out to the range and see if I can do it too. A place to see your all's results.

I have one or two extra sporterized Lee Enfields that could be dedicated to plain cast target and paper patched too. Open sight and scoped. I'm leaning back toward open sights for some reason.

Anyway, here is one of my stranger sporterized rifles that is looking for a purpose in life.

Then there is this one with a very good No4 barrel on a 1902 MLE action that once shot a near MOA group with cast. It too needs to see the light of day.

Last edited by 303Guy; 07-01-2018 at 01:43 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    I just want an excuse to stretch my legs with loading for me. I am an avid motorcyclist. I commute 4 out of 5 days on my bike. Im a better driver for it. I do it because others say it is impractical or I'm crazy. And I enjoy the hell out of it. Competition improves the breed. And honestly, I'm a better man with more skills because of challenge.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    I just want an excuse to stretch my legs with loading for me. I am an avid motorcyclist. I commute 4 out of 5 days on my bike. Im a better driver for it. I do it because others say it is impractical or I'm crazy. And I enjoy the hell out of it. Competition improves the breed. And honestly, I'm a better man with more skills because of challenge.
    The only thing I ever didn't like about commuting with a motorcycle was here in Wisconsin, except for maybe mid June to mid August, you catch cold a lot. lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    How about having an informal cast boolit competition thread?

I kinda like the idea of a sub-forum but just a thread will do. Not interested in high tech or who can shoot better but rather in how y'all are doing, what with and how. Keep it informal and fun. An opportunity to show off a bit too. Or lament maybe. Give me a motivation to get out to the range and see if I can do it too. A place to see your all's results.

I have one or two extra sporterized Lee Enfields that could be dedicated to plain cast target and paper patched too. Open sight and scoped. I'm leaning back toward open sights for some reason.

Anyway, here is one of my stranger sporterized rifles that is looking for a purpose in life.

Then there is this one with a very good No4 barrel on a 1902 MLE action that once shot a near MOA group with cast. It too needs to see the light of day.

That top one is very cool in my opinion. Thanks for showing it. Somebody had a great time sporterizing that thing.

Boolit Master

I like competition shooting, no top dog here, but I try harder than heck at Bullseye. At my age 58 my body is my competitor also, he is always one step ahead of my shooting.
    A twinge here, a new ache there, soar muscle, joint pain. I try to over come those body things that pop up and keep my accuracy. I only compete with 22 and 45 acp Bullseye for fun, that's enough frustration.

I got a new competitor last year sometime, my shooting hand wrist, hurts like heck. This new guy keeps up with me so far all this year, I think his first name is Arthur. I may just fool the fellow and learn to shoot left handed, also a new 9MM 1911 is in my dreams instead of 45acp may help a bit.

I think a thread talking about the successes , frustrations of competition would be good. A place to eat cheese with that WHINE.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't see any problems here, no debate needed. If enough fellers want a "Competition with Boolits" sub forum, fine, I don't have to read it. Instead of an explanation or badmouthing another forum, just post an "I want one"...

BTW; commuting by motorcycle for several years in LA resulted in 2 totaled bikes, one SS collar bone fix, two emergency room visits, and one replaced faring. The "Challenge" was staying alive...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    LOL LA is a bit different than St Louis!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I don't see any problems here, no debate needed. If enough fellers want a "Competition with Boolits" sub forum, fine, I don't have to read it. Instead of an explanation or badmouthing another forum, just post an "I want one"...

BTW; commuting by motorcycle for several years in LA resulted in 2 totaled bikes, one SS collar bone fix, two emergency room visits, and one replaced faring. The "Challenge" was staying alive...
    Aah yes, motorcycles. I rode one (or two) for several years. Gave up as I got older. They can be a bit risky. Just this morning there was a massive traffic hiccup on one of our motorways. Fella at work got past just after it happened and saw the poor guy on the road - he wasn't in one piece. The next fella from work saw a tarp covering the poor guy when he finally got that far. Bike meet garbage collection truck. It was all over the news too. Tragic. I guess I was lucky in my motorcycling days.

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    I like competition shooting, no top dog here, but I try harder than heck at Bullseye. At my age 58 my body is my competitor also, he is always one step ahead of my shooting.
    A twinge here, a new ache there, soar muscle, joint pain. I try to over come those body things that pop up and keep my accuracy. I only compete with 22 and 45 acp Bullseye for fun, that's enough frustration.

I got a new competitor last year sometime, my shooting hand wrist, hurts like heck. This new guy keeps up with me so far all this year, I think his first name is Arthur. I may just fool the fellow and learn to shoot left handed, also a new 9MM 1911 is in my dreams instead of 45acp may help a bit.

I think a thread talking about the successes , frustrations of competition would be good. A place to eat cheese with that WHINE.
    That mista Ritus fella? Yeah, I met him in my early forties. The good news is - he can be beaten. I got my hands and my knees back! But he's persistent. He's kinda got my elbows in the last year or two. I may not get them back fully this time round but I'm holding him off for just a while longer. (I'm also in denial ).

I'd like to hear (and see) the success stories together with the frustrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    That top one is very cool in my opinion. Thanks for showing it. Somebody had a great time sporterizing that thing.
    I think so. It has such appeal to me. It shoulders beautifully and I can hold it quite steady. The bore had some rust but after cleaning up, the throat matches the unsized neck for paper patching with a tapered boolit I had already made for another gun. 206grs - that should make for full penetration of those tough paper targets.

I'm actually aiming to pass it on to my nephew in law and my great nephew (not his biological son). But I'd like to put to paper before they take it away. I'll still get to shoot it from time to time. It's a Lithgow BTW. The action is very good.

I have another nicely done sporter that would more likely be a better plain cast boolit shooter. It has a good bore.

They might choose to take this one because it will be a better jacketed bullet shooter. We'll see which they choose.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 07-02-2018 at 12:30 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast