MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sight settings

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like decimal points are shifting around...Part of my group measured 1.3 inches and not .13 inches. The flyers were 8 inches and 14 inches low.
    Earlier I made a cast of the chamber and about an inch into the rifling. The chamber, leade and throat look fine. It looks like a sharp transition from the end of the chamber to the rifling, typical of what I have read about Browning BPCR chambering. Cases were stretched and trimmed .005" short. Mouthe's of cases were chamfered, powder and wads inserted then loaded cases were then run through a Meachum neck die .125" to have very light neck tension.Paper patched bullets, (OfficeDepot Translucent Tracing Paper #25 pound. wrapped to .450 dia. it is a nice smooth press fit into the chamber.) inserted with no paper cutting or bunching. The bore looks good and there is no lead in the bore.
    Today I loaded one round and the only thing changed was the wad and powder charge. The wad stack consisted of one Walters wad .063" thick and a news print wad over that. Powder charge adjusted for .125" bullet seating depth. The charge was 76.5gns Swiss 1.5. Prior to shooting this load into the pool the bore was cleaned of oil and two tight patches after that. the patches were clean and the bore was dry. I fired into the pool and the recovered bullet looked like the previous ones....I'm somewhat at a loss here! I wonder if the patch material may not be tough enough. I could not find the wad.
    Thanks guys...Richard

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_Bullet_Base.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	224555

Name:	2_Bullet-Flame_Cut.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	224556

Name:	3_Bullet_Flamecut.jpg 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	224557

Name:	4_Bullet_Flamecut.jpg 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	224559

Boolit Buddy
    BTW the diameter of the Walters wads are .463"
    Regards, Richard

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Guys,
    I wonder if the bullet I’m using may be too small in diameter at .4427” as cast. At 1:16 maybe the bullet is not bumping up fast enough or has too far to bump up. Is my thinking on this make any sense.
    Thanks a bunch, Richard

Boolit Master
    Flatsguide, I am shooting what I think is the same bullet as you. The BACO 443530E in 16:1. Is that Walters wad an LDPE or a veg card wad? I find that the LDPE is definitely better.

I don't shoot the same chamber as you though. Mine are specially cut for bore diameter PP bullets and are much tighter so there is less room for the bullet to bump up into.

I own one rifle, chambered for grease grooved bullets with a pretty fat chamber. I could never get this one to shot bore diameter PP bullets without a lube cookie. Everything else gave gas cuts.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I would think you either need a larger diameter bullet for your chamber, or try a .060 fiber wad on the powder a grease cookie and a .030 wad under the bullet. Or in place of the grease cookie and .030 wad use a 1/8 inch felt wad.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    Have you tried 82 grains of Swiss? Takes some practice to get it in there. 12 second pour through the drop tube. I then place a wad made of construction paper on there so that I can compress it enough to get a Polly wad in there. Compress it once with the construction paper wad then I seat that Polly wad on there and compress that. I’m shooing a longer and fatter version of your bullet through my c sharps which has a standard grease groove chamber. Wet patching to a finished diameter of .450

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Flatsguide where are your shoots at?

Boolit Master
    I'm watching this thread closely

Boolit Buddy
    The problem with the gas cutting has been solved. This discussion is going on and continuing under the Paper Patch Problems thread now guys.
    Ian, the match was at Roanoke VA. Roanoke rifle and pistol club. Joe Davis was the match director. It was fun and I was made to feel at home by a lot of the shooters. I don’t know how much powder I can get into my once fired Starline cases. I’ll find out soon though.
    Regards, Richard

Boolit Buddy
    Flatsguide that’s about 4 hours away from one of the silhouette ranges I shoot at. Depending on where you live it may be worth it to come shoot with us also. It’s near Ashland Kentucky. Over the labor day weekend we are having a 4 day shoot with 22 on Friday and big bore on Saturday Sunday and Monday. There will be a lot of paper on the ground . Be nice to get another paper patch shooter up there. If your close to the pa border there is a shoot in McDonald pa I am going to next weekend.

Boolit Buddy
    Ian, thanks I’ll try to make it up to Ashland in a month or so. Sounds like Labor Day will be quite the shoot.
    Best Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12