StainLess Steel MediaGraf & SonsInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionADvertise hereMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading

Thread: Sight settings

Boolit Buddy

Sight settings

Hopefully, next month I will compete in my first Silouette shoot. So Iím try to hurry along to get ready. well at least as fast as a 80 yo old guy can hurry,lol. I wonít have much time to work up a load but will start with a recommended load of the following. 45-70, PP BACo 535gn elliptical, 1:16, 80 gns Swiss 1 1/2. I think it was Brentís load.
    It would help if I had some rough, ball park elevation sight settings for Silouette for the DZ arms scope I bought with their Unertyl mounts. Front base .175 rear .225.

I just finished D&T Ďing my Browning.45-70 BPCR for aDZ arms 8x scope...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4991073F-03B1-4A32-B66C-1FBFD2E2CDF5.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	222917

Name:	F53BB31B-CA9F-43AF-B4D2-041A67506EBB.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	222918

Name:	A6D44CC2-D9B2-4C1E-AB4E-25848480615D.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	222919
    Thanks guys,
    Richard

The load

Boolit Master
    Give me your sight setting for one distance, any distance, and the distance between the center of your sight mounts. The rest is easy.

Boolit Buddy
    Will do Brent...hope to start shooting later this week. Oh! That would help...7.20 inches

flatsguide,

I have those same DZ mounts and spacing on my .40-65, but a Leatherwood 6X scope and I would think the come ups would be close. At very least you could use them for comparison to what Brent comes up with. I'll get my book a bit later today and post my settings then you'll just have to adjust the numbers to a setting for your rifle/load and it should be in the berm at each animal.

I'm shooting a 385 grain ppb over 72.0 grains of 1 1/2 Swiss at about 1350 fps, but I'll check that speed.

I love those DZ mounts and I'm happy with the scope. The combination sure works well for me. Using bore pigs and with Brent's help I found shooting ppb for silhouette to be absolutely no problem and very accurate. You actually have plenty of time, you just have to be organized and that's not easy for me. With a little practice even I can do it!

I really don't know how a man could have more fun than knocking down a bunch of steel critters with ppb and gun powder. I'm really looking forward to my next match.

Go and have fun!

So here is what I have:

Critter----------------Setting - Horizonal/vertical hold.

Chickens ------------.085 Top of the back, center body.

Pigs------------------.110 Just behind the front leg, center body.

Turkeys--------------.135 Leg/body junction, center of leg.

Rams-----------------.174 Nose high, center body.

I use the same bullet for all animals. I've included where I hold and in the case of the chickens where I try to break the shot. For me a high break on chickens results in more dead chickens than a low break, which gives those frustrating rail hits.

I double checked the fps at 1355. With 80.0 grains of 1 1/2 under your 535 grain money bullet you're probably around 1260-1270-ish. So the higher BC of the money over my round nose design may just balance out over the 500 meters.

My pigs, like Brent's, have a rubber washer on the tail end, that and the dry patch pushing them through removes all of my wiping solution leaving the bore dry. I use a water soluble oil water mix at 10 to 1, water to oil. I have come to believe my pigs can't possibly be too wet. I haven't had any fouling issues doing it this way. I do run a couple wet patches and a couple dry patches through the bore after the 5th animal and the 10th animal then it's not on the clock. I have enough pigs to shoot a 40-shot match that way and I just clean my pigs at the end of the day.

I've been using these same pigs since 2009 or 2010, at first with just a soaked patch on the brush and more recently with the felts. I like the felts because everything stays together and cleans up easily.

I hope some of that is useful to you. Good luck and I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Boolit Master
    That velocity estimate is likely very good. I shoot 80gr of Swiss 1.5 and the BACO 446535 money bullet and get 1277 fps from a 32" barrel.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Jim, thank you very much for your detailed reply. I have enough bore wipers from BACO to last though a Silouette match with sights. They use the felt wipers you mentioned. I will practice using them before the match.
    It has been very hot here in Eastern Tennessee lately I have been waiting for it to cool off a bit like last year but it looks like I’m going to have to suck it up and start casting outside this week.
    What do you all think? Should I start a new thread or just start posting my progress here ?
    Thanks for all the help guys.
    Best Richard