Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is this a better powder?

Boolit Bub
    I actually enjoy cleaning my rifle after a day in the field. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180709_213553 (1) (Small).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	223468

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    oooooh you are careful! ......Still.... the two litres of gas in your lawnmower tank is at least as big a hazard as a closed can of blackpowder in the same place - open the can of powder and take the cap of the gas tank still no appreciable difference - I would back the powder as marginally safer at that point - drop a match in either and they gonna go whooosh and set fire to the joint - if the mower tank happens to be almost empty you gonna have pieces of aluminium and plastic embedded in the walls as a memento. If the blackpowder container is strong enough and has a small lid it will do the same.
    Dang! Now I'll have to stop using gasoline to clean my guns, worse yet is the Ed's Red with Acetone recipe. Sorry guys, just had to pull that big chain hanging down.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvedw View Post
    I actually enjoy cleaning my rifle after a day in the field. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180709_213553 (1) (Small).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	223468
    I don't mind that either, gets me out of the house and guarantees that wife won't be around for awhile to come up with new chores for me. Peace and quiet...ahhhh....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    Dang! Now I'll have to stop using gasoline to clean my guns, worse yet is the Ed's Red with Acetone recipe. Sorry guys, just had to pull that big chain hanging down.

Ya get the point though - we spook at one thing and too casual with another - nobody thinks twice about filling up at the gas station - just think how easy that could go wrong and how bad the result would be - or someone leaves a propane stove on and unlit in a house till the gas finds the space heater pilot light in the loungeroom. That can of Goex is lookin purtier by the minute!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Ya get the point though - we spook at one thing and too casual with another - nobody thinks twice about filling up at the gas station - just think how easy that could go wrong and how bad the result would be - or someone leaves a propane stove on and unlit in a house till the gas finds the space heater pilot light in the loungeroom. That can of Goex is lookin purtier by the minute!
    Yep, some things that we take for granted can turn around and kill us!

Banned

firstly, that ain't real black powder, it's just yet another version of smokeless. if yer gun is a trad ml, and not some zip gun, i'd always recommend using real black powder over that substitute cr@p. any black powder will do just fine, from goex to swiss and all those other flavors in between. i like swiss for my trad ml's and bpcr guns. to each their own, it's all good.

Boolit Master
    One thing I discovered that Black MZ doesn't do is leave a " crud ring". I became aware of this"crud ring" a couple of weeks ago while using some Triple 7. Never had any trouble before but shooting my TC Scout with 3f Triple 7, I got a form of trouble I never had before. Was using 70 gr. 777 3f and after only 1-shot, the next maxi stopped about 3" before becoming fully seated. I had to pound it down to get it finally seated. Don't recall that happening before but maybe was shooting a few not fully seated. Will make sure to mark all those rods from now on! Fortunately for me, I didn't blow anything up. Wondering if this was just something that happens with the 3f ? Will have to test it out. Some people are saying that they don't experience that crud ring unless they use hot primers etc. and so on. Just got to try these things out for one's self. So, watch out for this next time you use the triple 7.

Boolit Master
    in my part of the country we call them a fouling ring. but only get them with substitutes and only ever part way down, never near the bottom. we say it is a calling to clean, and start shooting again. not a complete cleaning only a wet patch or two and go back having fun.

Boolit Master
    in 85 when I started shooting muzzleloaders I used goex I am still using goex this day. it works and works good . can see no reason to change I buy it by the keg [ 25 lb. box ] the only other powder I have used was when I got some olod cans of dupont.

Boolit Buddy

in answer of the question whish is best. Black powder. After that, it is up to you to work up the best load. The top three are Goex, Swiss and Olde Eynesford (Goex)

Boolit Buddy
    I use nothing but real old fashion black powder as long as I can get it. The fake stuff doesn't go BOOM in a flintlock very well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123