WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ‘Building a new Lead Catcher Target Backstop . . . Part 1’

‘Building a new Lead Catcher Target Backstop . . . Part 1’

‘Building a new Lead Catcher’ . . . w/no plans on the internet & little information…hmmmm? . . . Part 1

“Guess I’ll have’ta punt this one!”
    Years ago I saw a video on the You-Tube with a fella showing a steel target backstop/lead catcher and thought it was a good idea, but never got around to building one. This video was helpful to some extent, but it still lacked specific details I have been looking for…I am groping in the dark here…

HOME-MADE BULLET TRAP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdPSAoPx3R0

Then recently Kyle Lusk had a video out showing a backstop/catcher that he built…Boolit Trap 2.0 https://thereloadersnetwork.com/2018...olit-trap-2-0/

“Well boys…I’ll just punt this one.” I have to get this party started. What information I did find was commercial manufacturers using hard plate, ‘AR-something’ rated. I don’t want to spend that much to build this thing and I think, or I should say I suspect, that mild steel will do a fine job of ‘ricocheting’ those cast pistol rounds into the lead catcher without any problem.

James Pollard and I have been discussing the build and we talked on Slack in the #what_I_did_today channel . . .(you can join us here: https://thereloadersnetwork.com/chat/)

Next, I went out to the garage to draw the plans on the floor of the shop; that floor has been my drawing board for full size drawings for as long as I can remember. Many times I can’t figure the math for certain compound angle projects so after seeing it full size and taking measurements and determining the angles from the drawing I am able to proceed with the build. Here’s the catcher I’m thinking about building…’SIDE & TOP VIEWS’

The foam filled wheelbarrow wheels and axle, along with the tow tongue, are not shown. It will be mobile; I’ll back the mower up and hook it to the 2″ ball to pull it out of the way for mowing around the backstop.

Why such a large opening? As some of you know, I have been coached by James Pollard in practice with the 1911. His instruction has caused me to re-think my old standby targets and come up with new ones as the training changes. In short, I want to be able to put two of my silhouette targets side by side in the opening of this new catcher. Then I’m sure that James will be more flexible in his coaching with me having two targets to train on at the same time. I am after attaining ‘speed & accuracy’, but do not have any inspirations for competition. This is a personal improvement project, that’s all. Here’s the target I am currently working with… it is next to a template I routed out of plastic corrugated sign board that I use to spray paint the targets in mass.

If you followed the #what_I_did_today conversation you know that the big problem I need to solve is…”What size steel plate can I use and not break the bank investing in some type of ‘AR’ rated plate.” As I said before, this catcher is for pistol revolver practice; it will not be on a range where I shoot rifle. Another duty it will have is when I test pistol loads…it’s very convient having it set up behind my shop.

The next item is actually shooting/testing the steel plate before deciding on plate thickness, and actually place the order for the pre-cut plate. First thing this morning I made a wooden jig to fasten a steel plate on, positioned at the proper angle of 30º relative to the ‘backstop pipe catcher’, and 60º to the ‘bullet’s flight path’. This is the bracing placed on my old catcher >

This is the front side where the plate is screwed to the plywood, the corrugated box board was just for satisfying my curiosity of how the casts splatter off the plate, I wanted to see that somehow >

Next, I placed an old iPhone 4 in front to catch the action…here’s the testing >

BUILDING A LEAD CATCHER BACKSTOP ‘TESTING STEEL PLATE’ PART 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bf36dfaF2k

That’s all I have for you boys at this moment…the order was placed this afternoon for 3/8” plate and it pert-near broke the bank. I was shocked at the price of steel today but the longer I wait to build this…the more it’s going to cost. So, as they say…”Just bite the bullet and geterdone!” The steel should be ready the middle of next week; I’ll once again call on my brother Manny to help me fit it together. All that will be in Part 2…

‘Building a new Lead Catcher’ . . . doing the ‘MIG Boogie Woogie’ . . . Part 2
    ( not published yet...it'll be late next week )

“Till then boys, stay safe…as you know, our Great Republic is in an historical moment of great & significant importance…it may get violent. Once again I’ll say…Watch that 6, have some fun, be careful out there and don’t hurt yourselves!”

c h a r l i e
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I like it! Looking forward to following your progress

I will be building me a new trap this weekend. It won't be out of metal but wood filled with rubber mulch. I had on last year that was not to bad but my magnums would shoot through it. This one will be deeper. I hope to post pics while building and pics after shooting at it to test they don't blow through. I do have a piece of steel that I can put behind at a 45 degree to deflect any down that get through. Last years was 9" thick this years will be 16" thick. It was not to bad pulling the back off and recovering the lead for the old one. Hope to put trap doors on the top and bottom to make it easier to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by daloper View Post
    I will be building me a new trap this weekend. It won't be out of metal but wood filled with rubber mulch. I had on last year that was not to bad but my magnums would shoot through it. This one will be deeper. I hope to post pics while building and pics after shooting at it to test they don't blow through. I do have a piece of steel that I can put behind at a 45 degree to deflect any down that get through. Last years was 9" thick this years will be 16" thick. It was not to bad pulling the back off and recovering the lead for the old one. Hope to put trap doors on the top and bottom to make it easier to recover.
    Last September I posted the build on the backstop you saw in the pictures above. It' didn't have any trouble stopping my 8mm x 250 grain cast @ 2,020 FPS...don't remember for sure but I don't think it went deeper than 18" or so, in fact nothing has gone deeper than that on this old barrel. The hassle is recovering the lead so I wait until until there's about 3,000 rounds in there and I get about 60~80 pounds of lead each recycle time.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-Load-Workups

I shot at mine last year and took it apart before the snow flied. I read that you could get the rubber mulch if you put it in salt water. Did not work for me. I did lighten up my loads for my .44 mag and they stopped going through but the .480 was a lost cause.

Banned
    Cool deal Charlie, With age, we try to think more and work less. What all are you going to be shooting at the boolit trap?

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Cool deal Charlie, With age, we try to think more and work less. What all are you going to be shooting at the boolit trap?
    All the pistol calibers and since it's going to be 3/8" I might try the 8mm in cast, just to see what happens?

Almost ready for the 'rattle cans' . . .

Boolit Master

I see tyou've been working your dog hard. Does he ever erase your plans?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    I see tyou've been working your dog hard. Does he ever erase your plans?
    Yup, I drew them where he likes to lay best...in front of the fan. You can't even see them anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Just pistol and revolver, mainly the 1911 training with the timer & double taps + one. You can go through lots of ammo before you realize it. I'm tired of having to go through the mulch for lead recovery but that barrel will stop all the rifles in less than 18".
    This is the interior of the pipe, I'll weld a cap on today sometime. The rounds will make it around the pipe once then stop and drop on the flange...the metal bucket will sit under the pipe.

It was tough trying to weld the inside of the flange...

and it was really tough trying to get to the back of the interior with the hood on and actually see what I was doing...it was hot out yesterday 95º that steel was burning the heck out of my forearms.

Got a paint job on it....

Later this morning when my brother gets here we'll cut a hole in the middle of these ties and mount it 1/2 way through...I hope.

Then the old rubber mulch barrel will be emptied, there's prolly 50 lbs. of good pistol lead in it and then it retires to rifle testing only.

Boolit Master

Love these posts. Great work and the "snail trap" looks great! I like how the dog was guarding those nozzle pliers.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Looking Great Charlie~!

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

My Brother Manny came early this morning and we used a chainsaw to cut into the face of the rail tie backstop...

Then we hooked a come-a-long to the lumber rack of the truck to pull that mongosity of steel through the hole...here you can see how we hooked onto the back of the trap...

I cut some redwood 2 X 6's to make wedges to hold it in place...

Then I ran 6 of the .45ACP's, cast, PC'd SWC's @ 900 FPS into the trap...all they did was leave a mark and promptly disintegrated and ended up in the bucket...

Now it's all history...I can rig my target holding system and get to practicing again...only problem is that I haven't been stuffing any brass lately and the 'cookie jar' is about empty! Guess I'll have to remedy that asap.

Banned
    Don't you just love it when a plan and hard work come together? I really like the idea of shoving it into the backstop.

Good job Charlie.

Boolit Master

Well done.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Man
    Beautiful and functional. What more could you ask for!

Finally got the target hanger wire figured out so I could try it out this afternoon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clNpX_v3dfE

Banned
    ****, you gonna make all the guys jealous. It doesn't get any better than that, shooting under a shade with a brass catcher and a boolit trap that prepares your boolits for smelting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast