Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Powder Recommendations for std. pressure 45 Colt in a 24” barrel

Boolit Master

Powder Recommendations for std. pressure 45 Colt in a 24” barrel

What powder would take advantage of a 24” barrel to make the most MV and still be at the standard pressure for the the old 45 Colt cartridge?

I have Hodgdon CFE-Pistol which works very well in my 5.5” barrel Ruger New Vaquero. Hodgdon’s shows CFE-P producing top MV in a short barrel.

I’m looking for a powder that will boost MV in a long rifle barrel. I was hoping to get a little over 1200 fps if that is even possible for this cartridge at low pressure.
    I was thinking Alliant 2400, or Hodgdon HS-6, the higher charge weights shown in the powder company’s loads for 45 Colt might be burned more efficiently or effectively in the long barrel even though the operating pressure is low 14,000 psi.
    I’ve read that slow pistol powder don’t burn very efficiently at low pressures.
    I need to keep pressure low for a Winchester 1873 rifle.

Your powder recommendations please, and thank you.

Boolit Bub
    i use 6.8grs greendot behind my own cast bullet of a 250gr lead sized to .457 lubed with lee alox and it shoots great in both my rossi r92's i own!

Boolit Grand Master

I use 200 gr cast Lee 452-200-FP over 7.2 gr Bullseye (Win and Rem cases w/WLP primers) in my Uberti M1873 rifles and SAAs. It runs right at 1200 fps, burns very clean and is very accurate. I measure pressures (Oehler M43) and this load is right at 14,000 psi.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    A casefull of 4198 with a heavy bullet is good in any of the old pistol type rifle cases,especially in a long barrel.