RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: You guys own or have seen any ****** Mosins ? Pictures!

You guys own or have seen any ****** Mosins ? Pictures!

Im building a "tactical" mosin, I have the bent bolt being shipped. I was wodnering If anyone has any pictures to share to their build or someone else's? I might get different ideas from different builds!

Post a pic if possible.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Mine came this way, a Finn M39 arsenal refurbed in 1968, imported by Century.
    Most accurate milsurp boltgun I own:

Attachment 222860Attachment 222861Attachment 222862Attachment 222863Attachment 222864

Five consecutive 5-shot groups at 200 yards, Finn M39 fired off sandbags with PU scope:
    __________________________________Largest________S mallest______Average
    Remington 180 SP (.303 Brit)
    Norma case, R9-1/2 pmr.
    44 grs. RL15________________________3.9____________2.4____ ______3.01

Sierra 174 MK (.311")
    Norma case, R9-1/2
    44 grs. IMR4064_____________________2.5____________1.25___ ______1.92

Yugo 174 FMJBT (.310")
    PPU boxer primed case
    44 grs. RL15________________________4.9____________2.4____ ______4.12
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-30-2018 at 03:11 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Mine came this way, a Finn M39 arsenal refurbed in 1968, imported by Century. Most accurate boltgun I own:

Attachment 222860Attachment 222861Attachment 222862Attachment 222863Attachment 222864
    WOW! Just WOW!

I would just like to shoot the Fin rifle. I have the carbine and a 91-30. both shoot well but provably nothing like that beauty. I also shoot a K31 and love that one with cast.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-06-30 14.51.12.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	222932
    Moded this one for a friend. The mount is store bought but the handle is my idea.

Name:	2018-06-30 14.51.32.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	222933
    This one is mine had a trumpet muzzle so I cut it down 5 inches, made the mount, moded the safety and bolt.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    I've seen images of a Mosin Nagant converted to relocate the bolt handle behind the bridge. It was a long range match rifle, the conversion done to accommodate a centerline mounted Unertal scope. The process looked to be straight forward and fairly simple.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    I've seen images of a Mosin Nagant converted to relocate the bolt handle behind the bridge. It was a long range match rifle, the conversion done to accommodate a centerline mounted Unertal scope. The process looked to be straight forward and fairly simple.
    Yes, I think I handled the rifle you speak of around 1987-88.

It was in the Scout-Sniper School collection at Quantico and put together by gunsmiths in the rifle team equipment shop for ammo and armor testing. B.J. "Boots" Obermeyer in Racine, WI made the 1:8" twist barrel and the stock was modified from a McMillan for the M40A1, with Unertl blocks and 10X Vulture scope. Maj. Bruce M. Wincentsen was the designated trigger puller and I loaded ammo for him using .311" 185-grain Lapua D46s I got from Horst Zimmerbauer via Pres Kendall. Boots also made a pressure test barrel for load development. IIRC the barrel was .300"x.310" bore and groove with 4-groove rifling form with lands and grooves of approximately equal-width, based on the PK machinegun barrel.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-30-2018 at 09:50 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    When the UK59 heavy machinegun barrels were available about 10 years ago, there were some really cool snipers and tacticool rifles built with these barrels. They were threaded for the moisin actions and had the cuts in the breech end for the extractor. I had a spare action and bought one of the modded barrels. Quick check showed that the cuts did not align with with my extractor. Sold it for what it cost me with full disclosure regarding the extractor cuts. Frank

Boolit Master

I'm thinking the guys who used them originally thought they were pretty "tactical" at the time.

Me and a buddy cut his off with an 18" barrel a long time back, We never got the sight installed, but we fired it a few times checking it out. It had a heck of a muzzle blast.

Boolit Mold
    [QUOTE=Multigunner;4401069]I've seen images of a Mosin Nagant converted to relocate the bolt handle behind the bridge. It was a long range match rifle, the conversion done to accommodate a centerline mounted Unertal scope. The process looked to be straight forward and fairly simple.

Hopefully these images will post, as I have trouble adding them. This gun was picked up at auction with the bolt handle moved back to be above the trigger. A nice piece of work, but unfortunately it messed up a nice Finnish Model 24 with a Bohler barrel . As a one-off, it shoots and handles well.

/Users/Bill/Desktop/Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 5.08.41 PM.pngClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 5.08.41 PM.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	222977

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olut View Post
    Hopefully these images will post, as I have trouble adding them. This gun was picked up at auction with the bolt handle moved back to be above the trigger. A nice piece of work, but unfortunately it messed up a nice Finnish Model 24 with a Bohler barrel . As a one-off, it shoots and handles well.

/Users/Bill/Desktop/Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 5.08.41 PM.pngClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 5.08.41 PM.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	222977
    Personally I don't consider such custom modifications to be messing up a rifle like this. The Finn Mosins are fine rifles but really not rare enough to make a fuss over.
    The Finns have been radically customizing these rifles for decades.
    Always best to start with a organ donor class action though. One not badly worn or beat up though, just lacking the parts to restore it to original specs economically.
    There are Soviet era trigger modifications used for match grade Mosins you might want to look into. IIRC these were fairly simple and effective in giving a light crisp trigger pull. I've seen these in very old American Rifleman articles.

BTW
    The rifle I spoke of was not the sniper school version, it was a very similar one done by a individual for civilian match shooting. His may have been the first such conversion.

Boolit Master
    Would this be considered a Tactical Mosin ?

Boolit Master
    I had put an ATI stock on my Chinese M43 Mosin a while back. The stock fit nicely too. I need to get the bolt handle bent. But since I have a scope mount that replaces the rear sight, I could simply use a long eye relief scope instead. But it does look a bit weird with the slot cut for the bolt handle to be bent into though. I saved all the parts and bayonet should I decide to convert it back in the future.

Name:	Chinese_type53__Sporterized_ATI_Stock_Moisin_Nagent_7.62x54R_02a.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	222993
    Last edited by Earlwb; 07-02-2018 at 12:23 AM. Reason: add more info

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    Here are some of the Mosin Bolt Handles that I modified and the home made scope mounts

Most folks see a firearm as rifle, pistol, shotgun, ect.... I see a canvas.

Attachment 223519 forgot this pic
    Most folks see a firearm as rifle, pistol, shotgun, ect.... I see a canvas.