Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Practice at the range yeserday for our big anniversery shoot

Boolit Master

Practice at the range yeserday for our big anniversery shoot

Our muzzle loader group has our anniversary shoot this coming Sunday followed by T-bone steaks and a huge pot luck lunch. So yesterday during my range safety officer day I broke out one of my Lancaster long rifles to try several shots at 50 yards to make sure all (including me) was well. Our lead range officer asked me if he could try it once as he has never shot a 50 caliber Lehigh rifle with a 42 inch barrel. I took several shots, close to the bulls eye at 50 yards so then I loaded it up for him and also explained how a set trigger worked. I set the trigger and handed the gun over to him explaining to keep fingers away from the front trigger, then put on a cap. He tried to lift the rifle and nearly fell over since he is a little Vietnamese guy who retired from the Vietnamese and also the US Marines as a Gunny. The rifle was about 6 inches taller than he was but he finally got it up but could not hold it so on a swing by the targets he touched the trigger.....ka-boom! The other RO's all laughed like hell but at least he did not drop the rifle or fall down. He has been shooting the military rifle matches but those AR-15's are way different! He said it was good they did not have those long rifles or the war would have been lost war earlier!
    John

Boolit Master
    That's great, I've let the RO at the local range shoot my .50 caliber BP guns a couple times. Even let two AR shooters have a shot last time I was out. It helps keep BP alive in the real world.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    T-bones? Is a Brink's truck catering the shoot?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Just about a Brinks truck. We usually have 25 to 30 people show up and couple of them are vegans for God's sake! The steaks are about 1 1/2 inches thick and take some time to cook and the smell just about drives you crazy. A couple folks also bring deviled eggs, great potato salad and other goodies. Our targets are usually a small bulls eye then a steel ring 18 inches in diameter, playing cards, some sort of swinger and little plastic thingy's with some Tannerite inside for some excitement!