Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Loads for 1889 Marlin 32-20

Boolit Master

Loads for 1889 Marlin 32-20

I've been using black powder in my 1889 Marlin 32-20 (made in 1893). 20 grs FFFG and a 115 gr cast bullet.
    I've been searching for a smokeless load for that gun but there isn't much info online. There's plenty of 32-20 data for newer rifles, with several warnings against using smokeless in that rifle.
    I have found some data using Red Dot, Trail Boss, Bullseye, Unique. Any suggestions?

I've loaded smokeless in about all of my former BP rifles/pistols. All of them are originals made prior to the nickle/smokeless barrel making period as well. As long as you keep velocities as close to original loadings as possible (no hot-rodding!), size the bullets like you normally do, and use a powder that is suitable for velocities you are seeking, you should be good to go. I generally use Unique, H-4198, RL-7, 2400, or something within those burn rates.

My Winchester 92 in this caliber shoots very well using AA1680 and keeping velocities around 1200 fps with 100 gr bullets. Not a hot load in this rifle being made in 1918 but velocity keeps leading to a minimum besides not having the need for hotter loads. My lead hardness is Brinnel 12 or very close to that and something I have found to work in all my cast bullet lever and SS rifles and calibers. I use this rifle around the farm for small game like coyotes, skunks, raccoons and such, all die quickly with proper hits and seldom do I need follow- up shots. For this use it is much more satisfying than using the 22 Mag as before plus this bullet tumbles critters better. Your Marlin is in the lower category of pressures so start low and work up carefully watching for pressure signs regardless of powers used.

GC45

Boolit Master

My m1889 does nicely with a 115gr bullet over 8.7gr of 5744. It comes in around 1200fps.

Boolit Master
    I've never used smokeless in a gun made for BP, (50-70, 45-70, and a Vetterli) so I'm going cautiously.
    Looking at the burn rate chart, 5744, AA1680, and IMR4227 are neighbors, with Reloader 7 close. I have 4227 and Reloader 7. I'll try them both.
    Thanks for the info.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I've never used smokeless in a gun made for BP, (50-70, 45-70, and a Vetterli) so I'm going cautiously.
    Looking at the burn rate chart, 5744, AA1680, and IMR4227 are neighbors, with Reloader 7 close. I have 4227 and Reloader 7. I'll try them both.
    Thanks for the info.
    My 32/20 uses 11grains RE7 - its a nice quiet load - have not chrono'd it but guessing similar to BP

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Have a 1889 also in 32 WCF #354xx. Cannot at the moment remember what year but 1891 sort of sounds right.
    But the best accuracy we have found is with that same 3F load. We use a 40-1 115 FN PB with a cereal box wad under the slug.
    Have yet to find a smokeless load that satisfies me. Have not tried 2400 yet and maybe should have started there as Unique and 5744 has not left any good impression.
    So I have happily loaded 3F and will keep at it with a little side step to smokeless off and on. Two damp patches through the barrel and one of oil takes care of the rifle. Ground hogs and other varmits have never known the difference.
    Mike in ILLinois… Where it rains more in one day than all year in southern Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.