Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Lee 6-hole sprue plate adjustment

Boolit Buddy

Lee 6-hole sprue plate adjustment

I'm having problems with the Lee 6-cavity sprue plate. The cast bullets have a tit on the base where the sprue is cut off and I can't get it to cut cleanly.......I have two old RCBS molds that I use most of the time in .44 & .45 Colt with no problems, but this Lee Mold is for use in the 45 Colt Uberti lever action rifle (255 gr RNFP). What do I need to do to get a clean sprue cut? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by Slinger; 06-28-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Banned
    Hold the mold up to a light and see if you can see light between the mold and the sprue plate.

Is the sprue screw snug? Do you lube it every time you use it?

Make sure the sprue plate is not warped; if it is, you can call Lee and order a replacement just for the cost of shipping

Check the screw at the handle end and make sure that is all the way in

take the sprue plate off and make sure the mold top is flat/smooth where the sprue screw goes into the mold (sometimes the aluminum "puckers up" and the sprue doesn't sit flat. (if this is the case use a fine file or sandpaper on a piece of glass and smooth it out. often I pust a slight bevel on the sprue screw hole.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the tips......I lapped the sprue plate as I could see daylight under it and I also honed the bolt holes. I did just a little lapping on the top of the mold. Now with the sprue plate closed I can barely see light under it.....I'll see how it works and if it still leaves a tit on the base of the bullet I'll call Lee and order another plate.
    Yes I do lube all the points on the Lee molds....

Banned
    It helps to keep the lead temp under 720°

Boolit Master
    Also to make sure the sprue has cooled enuf.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

There is a fine line between waiting to long to cut the sprue and cutting to soon. To soon you get smears, to long and you get the nib your talking about.

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, I've been casting a longtime, but like I said I normally use the RCBS molds and a couple of Accurate Molds and I don't run into this NIB problem. This Lee 6-holer is kinda' new to me but I made the modifications (setscrews in three places) but I never checked the sprue plate for flatness as I took it for granted that it was ok......lesson learned. Never assume anything. Hopefully I've got it flat and it'll work ok now, but if not I'll contact Lee for a new plate. Thanks fellas!

Moderator Emeritus

Lee's sprue plate for the 6 cav is alum, when I have a troublesome sprue plate on a Lee 6 cav mold, I replace it with a aftermarket Steel plate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Where do you purchase those?

Quote Originally Posted by Slinger View Post
    Where do you purchase those?
    I'd like to know too!

Banned
    Red River Rick LEE 6 Cavity "STEEL" Sprue Plate

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2693126

If you speed cast with the lee 6 banger, don't quench (set on a damp rag) just the sprue plate, I think I warped a couple doing this

Boolit Buddy
    I usually use a little fan and set the mold in front of it for a bit if the bullets start to frost too much......OR sometimes I use another mold and and alternate the two which works well for me most of the time.

Thanks Grmps for the link to the steel sprue plate!