Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: different wax

Boolit Buddy

different wax

Yesterday, a good friend stopped by and dropped off a six lb. chunk of wax. He said that his father used to lube boolits by hand with it. Supposedly it's BW BUT I don't think so. There is no BW odor and neither is there any petroleum smell. This wax has almost no smell, is dark brown and is very fibrous and soft. It basically has the feel of a soft lube all by itself. I have yet to test the melt temp. but have no idea of what to compare it to. Any ideas?
    Thanks for your time
    kirk

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    If beeswax......you would DEFINITELY know by the yummy sweet smell when you cut into it. That smell never goes away!

Sounds like you may have a hunk of melted-down older toilet bowl floor seal wax. Probably was used in the old days to lube. They used anything they could find. My grandfather just went out in the orchard and got a honey comb from there and used that wax in the mix.

Today (if you are still using grease lubes) there are modern mixes that are easy to make and work very well. I quit using grease 4 years ago when we on here developed/discovered powder coating technologies. Much better and cleaner.

Unless you want to spend a lot of development/testing time with that “hunk-o-stuff”, I would just thank your friend for the thoughtfulness.......and leave it alone for now.

Bangerjim

Boolit Buddy
    Badgerjim , You are probably right. If you are, I'll just make it go away.
    Thank you
    Kirk

Boolit Master
    I"ve got a bunch of rendered beeswax, and its way too hard to be rubbing into lube grooves with your fingers.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yes beeswax is defintely much harder than most think. I have about 60# of the stuff and it is in 4# cakes. Got it back in the “good-ol-daze” for 25 cents a pound! Very hard to cut off pieces to drop in my casting pot for reducing Sn back in. In HOT summer weather, I cut it and roll it into pea-sized balls for easy use. But is is hard stuff, especially if cold.

Boolit Buddy
    This stuff is definitely not BW. I've made enough lubes to know the smell and hardness. Weird stuff though. It glides and feathers just like a good homemade lube should but no telling how clean or nasty the stuff would be when shot. Even so, I'm still half way tempted to hand lube a couple boolits just to see what happens.

Who knows, it might be something that could be used in a pinch. Really though, I'm curious as I have never seen anything even remotely like this wax. Banger Jim is probably right though. It could very well be some old time toilet bowl wax. Anyway, it's at least 40-50yrs old. Oh, and it is super sticky.
    Kirk

Boolit Master
    Try a few and see. The worse that could happen is a bit of leading an a strange fragrance.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Agree that it is likely toilet wax ring or a similar blend.

Beeswax if you rub it, warm it slightly sticks. And yes I don't think you can ever totally remove that honey smell.

Petroleum based tend to be much more slippery.

Moderator Emeritus

While the old NRA formula is 50-50 Alox/BW...The OLD OLD NRA formula is equal portions of BW/Vasoline/Paraffin wax and that should have the softness and feathering feel you describe but would have a low melt temp.
    Satan's lube (by 357Maximum) was that lube with a ivory soap addition to raise the melt temp.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Jon, Satans lube is my most used homemade lube for handguns. This stuff feels like it but when I melted some, Oh man, the stink. No BW smell or petroleum. So, who knows? Ideally, the soap lubes are what I want to wind up with, but finding micro-wax in smaller quantities has been a problem. When I did find one lb., every mix that I put it in would weep when put on the dash of my car and left in the sun.

Just to make sure, I placed the mw by itself exposed to the hot sun and it did the same thing. Even though satans lube got extremely soft, It never wept or completely melted. And yes, I do like using conventional lube. Therefore the quest continues.
    Thank you gentlemen for your help and input.
    Kirk

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Sometimes life's little things are the best way, it's a great joy to take a few things and mix them together and see it work. This not only gives a person pleasure but lets them know that when all the new fancy stuff goes away, they are able to do it the old way. Take Care David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'd think you could use Stearic Acid instead of Ivory? I only have the former, not the latter. I'd try the stuff out, see what it does, but I am a curious character

And it's GOOD to have friends who try to help!

Boolit Master
    Before I started keeping bees I lubed my 45 colt with 1 toilet bowl ring ( new ) and one slab of parrifin.

Worked great but about anything works great in 45 colt. No idea how it would work for rifles but I suspect it would be fine as long as velocity doesn't get too high.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Grand Master

Old toilet bowl rings used to be made of bees wax and some added "stiffeners". Today they are made from the dregs/trash from refining and really low grade. Way back when, I tried wax toilet bowl rings and it was a consistent, firm, brown wax. No fibers, but no bees wax smell either...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    mdi, you just described exactly what I have.
    Thanks
    Kirk

Sounds like a good paying it forward item to me
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

Boolit Master
    But you can finger lube the boolits, size them and tumble them w/ JPW. After it hardens you should get good results.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Miller View Post
    This stuff feels like it but when I melted some, Oh man, the stink
    Maybe it is USED toilet bowl seals?

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Yes beeswax is defintely much harder than most think. I have about 60# of the stuff and it is in 4# cakes. Got it back in the “good-ol-daze” for 25 cents a pound! Very hard to cut off pieces to drop in my casting pot for reducing Sn back in. In HOT summer weather, I cut it and roll it into pea-sized balls for easy use. But is is hard stuff, especially if cold.
    Freeze it good and hard, then place it in a box, hit it with a hammer and you will have small pieces