Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: lee 356-120-TC. not the usual complaint

lee 356-120-TC. not the usual complaint

the background, have a 9mm that prefers .357 or .358 lead.

Here's the pure irony. picked up this mold after reading tons of threads stating theirs all dropped large, and was thinking. perfect. it's exactly what I need.

Mold turned out perfect bullets for me as well, despite being an absolute novice with casting. In a few drops I was getting great looking bullets. no fins, no issues with them sticking. nothing.

Perfect bullets indeed - after casting a few hundred. I let them cool and measured them. dangitall if they weren't all .356-.3565. and averaging 120 grains, nothing under, nothing over 120.5. measured like 50 of them. looks like all cavities are perfect. no undersize, no oversize.

Go figure - I got the one lee mold that's dead on, lol.

Boolit Grand Master

What alloy?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

range scrap from my local range. mix of jacketed pistol, with a heavy bias towards commercial cast and 22. no idea on specific composition. tested several ingots from a range of collection times and it's ranged from 12 for the recently cast ingots to 14 for the stuff that's sat about 2 years.

Read up on "beagling" the mold. It costs very little (a couple $ for the copper foil tape), does not change the mold itself and can be undone.

Boolit Master

A little tin in the mix(1-2%)would probably add the .001" you're looking for.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Why not pc them???

No sizing needed, just cast, coat & load.

I've read a lot of complaints about Lee molds, but haven't gotten a bad one yet. Personal experience trumps Internet complaints.

Boolit Grand Master

I have that mould in a double cavity and they measure .3575 with a 50/50 blend COWW and lead + 1% tin. I can size them .357 for use in 9mm Luger or run them through a .358 sizer for use in 38 Special. It seems as though the double cavity moulds tend to run a little larger than the size given.

Another double cavity the C312-185-1R for the 303 British drops them at .3135 , run through a .314 sizer they are perfect for my 1942 BSA made No.4 MKI Lee Enfield.
    Getting a Lee mould is like getting a box of chocolates ....
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Why not pc them???

No sizing needed, just cast, coat & load.
    no good reason not to at this time, other than I'm just beginning to try casting, and another new process to learn is just not going to happen right now. call it lazy I guess. - and I just spent a wad load of cash and time on casting and sizing/lubing gear.

gwpercle could you please tell me how you do this, quote" for the 303 British drops them at .3135 , run through a .314 sizer" unquote and what kind of sizer you use that increases the bullet size? I have seen this same thing on other posts and am still in the dark about how to increase a bullet size by running it through a larger sizing die. I have several hundred .356 boolits for 9mm that I need to bump up to .3575. and even .358 for the 357 mag.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    gwpercle could you please tell me how you do this, quote" for the 303 British drops them at .3135 , run through a .314 sizer" unquote and what kind of sizer you use that increases the bullet size? I have seen this same thing on other posts and am still in the dark about how to increase a bullet size by running it through a larger sizing die. I have several hundred .356 boolits for 9mm that I need to bump up to .3575. and even .358 for the 357 mag.
    Running the boolits though a larger diameter lube sizing die, doesn't make them larger, but it does allow you to lube the boolits without making them smaller.
    Unless, of course, you put a LOT of pressure on the handle - then the lead will obturate to fill the cavity that it's in.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    A little tin in the mix(1-2%)would probably add the .001" you're looking for.
    Agree with fecmech, your range alloy is deficient in tin.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I guess I will have to learn how to add some to the mix. hopefully something in the stickies for how to acquire some.

Boolit Grand Master

Easiest is to get pure tin from one of the vendors here. Seems expensive at first but it doesn't take much tin and you'll know exactly what you've got.

For 10 lbs of your alloy 1% of tin is only 1.6 ounces....2% would be 3.2 ounces. Just put the amount of tin you want to use in the pot with your alloy, bring to casting temp, flux and start casting.....easy to do.

One lb of tin will do 100 lbs of alloy at 1% or 50 lbs of alloy at 2%.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    It doesn't increase the size , running a .3135 boolit through a .314 sizer just lubes it , it stays .3135 but my 303 Enfield's bore measures .3125 so .3135 works just fine.
    Same thing for .3575 boolit , .358 sizer just lubricates it , it stays .3575.

I've heard of " bumping boolits up" but I'm not sure how it's done....I just buy another, larger mould.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"