WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 14 soured

Boolit Grand Master

could the crane have gotten bent or sprung affecting cylinders alighnment?

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Don't know if the effects of this would be that severe but when the firing pin springs of a rifle get weak groups open way up.
    That's something to think about. I wonder if Wolf makes an extra-strength spring?

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    could the crane have gotten bent or sprung affecting cylinders alignment?
    The crane closes up with a really tight seam. I would expect a gap if the crane were sprung. This one appears to have been fitted by a master. My own Model 14 is the same.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hi Jake,

I shot both his and mine. The interior of the barrel appears excellent. The forcing cone is also in excellent condition, as is the crown.

Thanks, Tom
    You probably should have seen it on examination, but maybe a bulged barrel?

I had a .22 Kit Gun go bad on me once, turned out it had a donut of lead in the forcing cone. That doesn't seem to be the case here, though.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master

Trip to S&W needed

Boolit Master
    Don’t send it to S&W. They’ll scrap it for spare parts and send you another new gun, maybe... Parted out gun is worth far more to them for spares than a new gun. Took them 30yrs to figure this out. (ie: a Cessna 150 airplane “airworthy” is worth $12,000-20,000 on open market; parted out it’ll bring 30,000-40,000...)

Dollars to donuts it’s developed an end-shake issue with the cylinder. Several ways to fix this. I go through this every 2-3yrs with my PPC revolvers.
    1. Shims. Ron Powers/Brownells sell shims.
    2. Old school techniques; peen the yoke and gas ring. (S&W’s DON’T Have “cranes” Colts have cranes).
    3. Replace yoke and/or gas ring. (See other previous mention of parted out value of a S&W).

I choose to use the second option. Till only shims will do the trick.
    Now, the tough trick is to find a reputable qualified revolver Smith.

Yeah, exactly the reason I bought tools and learned to work on my own...
    Last edited by GooseGestapo; 07-07-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Look on Flebay or Gunbroken auction sites for a S&W ''parts'' gun of the same model.. lt will usually contain every part but the frame.. These are usually seized guns that are destroyed/salvaged by various govt agencies..

Banned
    When dealing with endshake issues, I prefer to "stretch" the yoke rather than use shims.

I also agree with others, Don't send that gun to S&W, you'll never get it back.

The suddenness of the problem makes me think that it is a crack that just isn't easily detectable.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The suddenness of the problem makes me think that it is a crack that just isn't easily detectable.
    This is what I believe also. It's there, I just can't see it.

Boolit Master

This is what I believe also. It's there, I just can't see it.
    Magnaflux it.
    I used this technique back in my machine shop days to find invisible cracks. Simple and effective.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    Don’t send it to S&W. They’ll scrap it for spare parts and send you another new gun, maybe... Parted out gun is worth far more to them for spares than a new gun. Took them 30yrs to figure this out. (ie: a Cessna 150 airplane “airworthy” is worth $12,000-20,000 on open market; parted out it’ll bring 30,000-40,000...)

Dollars to donuts it’s developed an end-shake issue with the cylinder. Several ways to fix this. I go through this every 2-3yrs with my PPC revolvers.
    1. Shims. Ron Powers/Brownells sell shims.
    2. Old school techniques; peen the yoke and gas ring. (S&W’s DON’T Have “cranes” Colts have cranes).
    3. Replace yoke and/or gas ring. (See other previous mention of parted out value of a S&W).

I choose to use the second option. Till only shims will do the trick.
    Now, the tough trick is to find a reputable qualified revolver Smith.

Yeah, exactly the reason I bought tools and learned to work on my own...
    This was my thought also. I have a 5 screw Model 27 that started doing the same thing, I had a shim put in and it solved the problem.

Boolit Mold
    Sometimes the threads where the barrel meet the frame become loose after many rounds, it could be a tiny amount undetectable in handling, but enough to amplify during vibration of firing.

I talked to S&W. The Model 14-2 is not covered by a warrantee. They sent me a return shipping label, and will charge $90 per hour to examine the gun, with a $45 minimum. If, as I suspect, the barrel is cracked and I just can't see it, they cannot repair it. They will then ship the gun back to me as is. I'm very reluctant to spend money when I think it is highly probable that it will be a complete waste. I don't know what else I can do.

Opinions?

Boolit Grand Master
    What I said in Post #29.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    What I said in Post #29.
    I've been thinking about that too. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    $90 goes a long way toward a nice new bull barrel too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    Magnaflux it. I used this technique back in my machine shop days to find invisible cracks. Simple and effective.
    I need to learn more about this.

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    $90 goes a long way toward a nice new bull barrel too!!!
    Yes, it does. But what if there is an incipient crack in the frame as a result of the barrel being cracked. Everything about this gun is a gamble. I'm weighing the probabilities. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    What about getting ahold of a loupe? You know, the jewelers magnifying eyepiece? I used one this last weekend and oh my lord you can see every little detail through it.

I talked to S&W. The Model 14-2 is not covered by a warrantee. They sent me a return shipping label, and will charge $90 per hour to examine the gun, with a $45 minimum. If, as I suspect, the barrel is cracked and I just can't see it, they cannot repair it. They will then ship the gun back to me as is.
    I decided to send the gun to S&W. If they can tell me what is wrong, and if it helps me to return the gun to service, it will be worth the money. If the barrel is cracked and the frame is sound, then I will have the foundation for a nice custom gun. Thanks all, and I'll let you know what they find.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tatume,

If it comes out that you need either a replacement barrel or cylinder, please contact me via PM. I took both off of the Model 14-3 I used as a donor for my faux Model 16-3. Both are in excellent shape except for a little blue wear as would be expected.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast