Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: fair price for Ithaca 911 45 ACP

Boolit Master

fair price for Ithaca 911 45 ACP

My BIL passed suddenly in Nov, leaving behind a collection, gleaned from years of gun shows, of mostly military weapons. Some German, US , Czech, etc. My SIL invited me to look thru them to see "if I wanted anything". I found an Ithaca 45 ACP 1911, that seems to be in good shape-no rust, it is a uniform dark brownish color. Says "Property of US Army" on it. I assumed WW II? She asked me if I liked "that one" I said yes. I couldn't tell if she was going to give it to me or wanted to sell it to me. I was going to make an offer, then see where it went. Saw some on GB >$1400 but nobody was bidding on them. Also couldn't tell what cond. they were in. Any suggestions for a fair price? Am I right it's WWII?
    Last edited by T-Bird; 06-28-2018 at 09:04 AM.

To many varibles, is the gun all original matching serial number parts? Being military probably not.
    Condition and how bad someone wants it.

Boolit Grand Master

The problem with most mil surp 1911's is that they were extensively refurbed during their service life. Ithaca is a rare one but is it Ithaca slide and frame or not marked say AA for Agusta Arsenal refurb. You need to have it examined by an expert or send detailed photos of the whole gun and ALL markings and stamps. And condition, condition , condition.

Boolit Master

GB has an option to look at completed listings, might be more help.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

The above posters are correct in that many if not most of the surviving 1911A1 pistols have a mixture of parts and many have been refinished by the govt. Ithaca was one of the govt. contractors that produced 1911A1 pistol for the various military services during WWII.

A fair price would run from $800.00 for a mixmaster to $1,500.00 for pistol that is all original. If it was a Colt, the price would be higher. If it was a USS&S the price still much higher and a Singer would out the roof in price.

Under your circumstances, I would split the difference and offer around $1,000.00. You may pay to much or get a good deal. She may get a good deal or lose a little on the value. You both share the risk.

There is a FB group contains members that know their stuff and with enough high quality pics of the pistol, could give you a reliable value.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    GB has an option to look at completed listings, might be more help.
    The problem with Gunbroker is that sellers often misrepresent their item, either through ignorance or by intent.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    Offer what you can, if she needs the $. The item is of secondary importance if you love(d) them both.

Boolit Master

thanks for all the responses. I don't know anything about milsurp or military firearms, but this was his main interest. I'm not a collector, I like guns, and like to shoot them . She does not need the money, but has a large vol ( most of which I haven't seen yet) that she now has to deal with.I am very close to these people, and even tho she would prob give me the gun, I don't want to feel like I'm taking advantage of her. I have considered offering to help her market them, but the best that I can do here is take them to the local shop and get her wholesale. I really don't know what all she has, but I think it's alot more

Bluebook of gun values shows $800 for 60% value. The value
    is $1200 for 80% which most pistols will not be at that level.
    Those are retail values.

Boolit Master

ok, that's helpful, is that with matching serial nos?
    Last edited by T-Bird; 06-28-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Boolit Master
    If you want to see if the parts are original, check this site:
    http://www.coolgunsite.com/pistols/1911infopage.htm

Not all Govt 1911 went for total refurb at Arsenal. They got mixed and matched on all levels.

Boolit Master

I know (knew) my BIL- he bought this gun at a gun show and got a "good deal"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Not all Govt 1911 went for total refurb at Arsenal. They got mixed and matched on all levels.
    The brown patina makes me think the odds are a little bit better for being original. Like it left the army early. Most others have been through one or more arsenal reworks and would have any part on them. They were not done whole, the were stripped and binned then reparked then the guns were built from parts in bins with random parts.

Some guns in fine shape coming in the door may have skipped the rear down and survived with spring replacements and new plastic grip panels

I agree with long beard and make a good offer for friends and family.

I would say if you were retired you could set up a gunbroker account with her and sell off the guns not going to family. Totally legal for the executrix. Ship via a local FFL. Sell a handful of guns a week with a fairly longish soak time on the web, like at least ten days for exposure. Lots of pictures. Say if you were selling that 1911 and showed plenty of pictures showing condition and parts stamps the collectors would know the value even if you don’t. Being an auction the collectors would set the price for you. Good pictures, lots of them.

Lot price at the local FFls would maybe net only half of the value. They have to make money and they low ball lots even more than single guns. More risk or simply mix of good guns and low value guns like jc Higgins that will be hard to sell.

If you ever spent anytime in the RVn you would know you could get a good start on patina over
    night if you didn't keep your pice wiped down with oil.
    Selling off a estate depends on how much you know and the type of area you live in. There is a
    market for certain models of guns nation wide, the old classics. Other more common guns that
    are common and still avaible new are harder to sell and hard to get the value from auction. The
    class under that is the store brands and known low end stuff even if no longer made. They bring
    very little at action. Unless you are in a big hurry for a check you would be better off to put them
    on consignment with a dealer. Agreeing on price you want reguardless on how he sells it. You can
    spend a little time online researching what particular gun is selling for and price accordingly. A
    deal like this will save all the hassle of shipping and such. The creame will always sell first, don't
    let anybody in the middle cherry pick the lot.

Boolit Master

I haven't visited this thread in a few days, thanks for the suggestions.