Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Konus Pro shotgun scope.

Konus Pro shotgun scope.

Does anybody own and shoot one of these scopes? My son pirated my Burris 2x7 shotgun scope for his 450 Ruger American and now I need a scope for my 870 12 ga with a Hastings cantilever rifled barrel. I am looking at a 1.5x5x32. This thing will rattle your cage with full snort slug loads and I have read some glowing reviews about the Konus scopes, but I'd rather hear it from the people that I know have wrung one out.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I had one and didn’t think much of it. Wasn’t the shotgun scope, a 3x9. Junk in my book. It is hard to find low power scopes of good quality at reasonable price. The market has shifted to recreational shooters. That makes hunting scopes a specialty and cranks the price. It’s getting to be you need a 4x12 on a 30/30. I don’t like variables so that puts me in even higher price range. My experience tells me to stay away from cheap variables.

I have a 1966 model 870 12g slug gun. It’s had Weaver K3 on it since new. You might be better off looking for good used scope than buying new cheap-o.

Boolit Master

I was just looking at these. And Im skeptical... I went with Hawke for same kinda money.

That 450 can be tough on a scope. I had to glue mine as it migrated in the rings and I had WARNE 6 screw rings!! Lil dab of RTV on bottom ring stopped that cold!

Now I have a couple Hawke and have always been impressed.

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 10-22-2020 at 09:38 AM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master

I've had one for about 10 years on my Benelli Nova rifled barrel. It is the Konus 1.5-5x. I don't think much of it. It was cheap back then. It works, holds a zero. It isn't all that clear, and doesn't do much for gathering light. If I still shot that barrel, I would be looking at another scope. For low cost scopes, I've been impressed with every Bushnell Banner I've ever used. I wasn't blown away by any means, and like all low cost optics, reviews can be mixed. If at all possible, go for a Leupold. I loved the VX-1, owning 4 of the 1-4x, and one 4-12x. I recently bought the new VX-Freedom 1-4x, and if anything it is an improvement yet. I really doubt for $200 you will find a better scope than the Leupold VX-Feedom 1-4x. You can find older models used for cheaper too. Even if it has a problem, Leupold will fix them free of charge. It is a true lifetime warranty, at least as long as Leupold exists.

I was afraid I would hear just this info. You get what you pay for and the Leupold advice is very sound. I am a fan of Burris but I think they have quit making the little 2x7 that has performed so well for me and some friends. As far as a fixed 4x, there is only Leupold that I would trust on a shotgun. It is a shame because I love the toughness a fixed scope has. I hate to but it looks like I will have to look on flebay for a decent used 4x Leupold even though I am not a big fan of the friction adjustments.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I was afraid I would hear just this info. You get what you pay for and the Leupold advice is very sound. I am a fan of Burris but I think they have quit making the little 2x7 that has performed so well for me and some friends. As far as a fixed 4x, there is only Leupold that I would trust on a shotgun. It is a shame because I love the toughness a fixed scope has. I hate to but it looks like I will have to look on flebay for a decent used 4x Leupold even though I am not a big fan of the friction adjustments.
    There is a strong market for used USA made Burris and Leupold fixed power scopes. If you want a fixed power, that is the way I would go. I might reconsider a 4x though, but I'm guessing you've used them before and know what works for you. I had a fixed 3x Burris for a while, until a buck at 15-20 yards made me realize it was too much power for me. I did get him, but that's when i went to the Leupold. At the range I'm always on 4x, but hunting, I'm not sure I've ever taken it off 1.5x. If I were to buy a fixed scope, I would be opting for a 2x myself.

Agreed . For $200 the Leupold can’t be beat.

I went to my LGS today to return a 22 Ruger American that and their scope salesman/ scope mounting guy said that the scope he sold more of and had the least problems with was a Vortex Crossfire II. a 3x9x40 was just under $200 out the door. Hmmmm......decisions, decisions. I have a new 3x9x50mm E1 Burris, but a 50mm scope looks out of place on a shotgun and besides I will swap it around to other guns as well. Might just sell it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I went to my LGS today to return a 22 Ruger American that and their scope salesman/ scope mounting guy said that the scope he sold more of and had the least problems with was a Vortex Crossfire II. a 3x9x40 was just under $200 out the door. Hmmmm......decisions, decisions. I have a new 3x9x50mm E1 Burris, but a 50mm scope looks out of place on a shotgun and besides I will swap it around to other guns as well. Might just sell it.
    I think Vortex is a decent company, but I think their binoculars are a better deal than the rifle scopes. I'm not saying the Crossfire II is bad, but when for the same price you can buy an American made Leupold that everybody but the high end snobs like, it seems like a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I think Vortex is a decent company, but I think their binoculars are a better deal than the rifle scopes. I'm not saying the Crossfire II is bad, but when for the same price you can buy an American made Leupold that everybody but the high end snobs like, it seems like a no brainer.
    Yep, you are right, I am not a big fan of The Peoples Republic. Do the new Freedom Leupolds have click adjustments?

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not a scope nut, so I'm not entirely sure what you mean by click adjustments. The VX-Freedom, as well as the later VX-1's have turrets that can be adjusted with fingers (meaning no screwdriver or case rim neccesary). They click into each notch distinctly. None of that mushy "did it move?"