Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox

Thread: 30 Army Full Patch ammo

Boolit Buddy

30 Army Full Patch ammo

I scored these last night. A woman brought these to my work for us to dispose of. I am a police officer and people find old ammo occasionally in attics and barns and don't know what to do with it. I know exactly what to do with it! It now resides with my two Krags! Five full boxes, one of which has never been opened. Wanted to share, and perhaps gloat just a little.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1564.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	222741

Name:	IMG_1563 (1).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	222740

Name:	IMG_1565.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	222742
    Last edited by webradbury; 06-27-2018 at 12:50 AM.

Nice score.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it! I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death! When people fear the government it is tyranny, when government fears the people it is Liberty!

Boolit Master

Nice. Nothing wrong with a little gloating.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

The primers are likely mercuric/corrosive, so you'll want to clean your Krag's bore appropriately after firing. If they are mercuric the residue will attack the cartridge brass, so if you shoot them at a range (or wherever, really) it's best to immediately drop the empties into a can or bucket of warm, soapy water and stir them around a bit if you intend to reload them.

Boolit Master
    I'd pull the bullets,dump the powder, deprime those old primers then anneal the case necks now then you have decent krag brass. And maybe load up some of those old 220 grain bullets in their original cases with new powder and primers. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Both good ideas. I hadn't thought about the corrosive primers. I don't really plan on shooting them. Just more cool stuff to horde.

Boolit Master
    Very nice, but would be a shame to burn up, as they sure aren't making any more of those.
    I'd put them on a shelf in the gun 'room', would make a nice retro display.

Perhaps a little wooden ctg. box, with a clear panel for viewing ... just thinking out loud.

Boolit Master

Too much history there to shoot or just pull down. I like the idea of making a display of them.

Boolit Master
    Man I would love to come across that score. very lucky brother.

Boolit Master
    Win win deal. Pretty neat you saved it from destruction.

Boolit Master

Nice score on some great boxes in fantastic condition.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Score! What headstamp are they? I can't zoom quite enough to read them. Also, another vote to display them rather than shoot them.

I bought several thousand rounds of 30/40 Govt, Frankfort Arsonal 1905. The outside of the
    cartridges looked new and was in cloth bandoleers , the through away type. The powder charge
    had broken down into a greasy wad and cases were deteriorating from the inside. You could put
    your thumb against the bullet and split the neck of the case with very little pressure. I don't know
    how this ammo was stored over the years. It was in a paper sweeping compound drum when I
    bought it. I salvaged the bullets and sold the bandoleers. My 1895 Win loves those bullets. I was
    running out of Rem 170gr Core Locs. This was their universal 30 cal bullet with double cannulure
    that they used in the cartridges of small demand. They stopped selling them in late 70s when they
    withdrew for selling bullets for components. At the time I had several Krags, a Rem RB, Win 95
    and Ruger#3 in 30/40. The Ruger was the only one that would shoot any 30 cal bullet, but I had
    a Krag short rifle that was the most accurate if you used heavy RN, jacket or cast. I think the
    nature of the rifling in the older rifles were designed for long RN bullets. I never shot any Spitzers
    that grouped as well as RN out of the old original rifles.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I wouldn't shoot that...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/777260979

Boolit Master
    Nice score on those. Congratulations.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    I'd pull the bullets,dump the powder, deprime those old primers then anneal the case necks now then you have decent krag brass. And maybe load up some of those old 220 grain bullets in their original cases with new powder and primers. Frank
    PLEASE DONT DO THAT. With what this ammunition is worth intact, you can purchase HUNDREDS of rounds of new components!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar