MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: pepper spray

Boolit Master

pepper spray

What brand would you guys say is the best?Looking to get some for the wife and kids

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wgr View Post
    What brand would you guys say is the best?Looking to get some for the wife and kids
    Look for a high capsaicin content (our guards carry the 5.5% version), then read reviews for that company. This is the company we use: https://www.amazon.com/Defense-Techn.../dp/B004YEQ62O but the canister is rather large, for EDC. Also, you may want to check local laws to make sure you don't cross them.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

If you just quit feeding them they will leave on their own???

What he said any 5.5% will repel bears and burglars.

I looked into this a few years ago, and there is a maximum strength that the various manufacturers are allowed to sell, controlled by Federal Regulation. I don't believe that you'll find it any stronger than 5.5%, so as long as the container sprays efficiently there isn't much difference.

Boolit Master
    I bought a couple of the little ones with a case & keyring for the missus & my DIL a couple years back. I do not remember the name but it did remind on the packaging that they do expire in usefulness/strength & that would be also something you may want to consider when you are shopping.

Below is a webpage that tells how each state lists the legality of your having possession of it. I do not know how current it is, but it might help other folks who consider getting some about what they need to know for their locale.

It also has some tips & other links to info about pepper & bear sprays to look over, including some reviews of the products they tested.

Here it is & G'Luck!

http://peppersprayinfo.com/index.php/pepper-spray-laws/
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned

I use Sabre. Sabre is the brand most relied on around the world and highest rated. I use the gel spray to avoid blowback.
    https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-RED-Pep...DDY4AXQRKPZF7K

Boolit Buddy
    Kimber

Boolit Master

Sabre and Def Tec are both brands that are used by many law enforcement agencies. I agree with making sure you're on the right side of any local laws.

My agency uses Freeze +p. It's also got CS in it. The choke reflex from the CS definitely adds to the effect, I can tell you first hand. I'm not sure if it's civilian legal in all areas though.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

About 158 grains should do it.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    I use Sabre. Sabre is the brand most relied on around the world and highest rated. I use the gel spray to avoid blowback.
    Yes the blow back is not a good thing , when I carried it on duty I also use the gel/ foam version
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Man! If you need pepper spray for the wife and kids you need to get some therapy-for them and you.
    Purple font off. I just couldn't help myself.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

thinks ill try and find some 5.5

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'd vote for 230 grains, myself. Years ago a couple folks I know got into a fight, one CS'ed the other and all it did was tick them off; Pepper spray may be better than CS but I wouldn't want my ONLY option to be pepper spray, unless it was in a can the size of the old 4 D cell Maglights (And as heavy.) In case Melee combat ended up being the next step, at least that'd lay 'em out. Though according to an ex-LEO friend, apparently aid Maglights will NOT stop a charging Ford Pinto. (It DID do a through & through, and distracted the driver somewhat...)

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Our local "Counter Assault" seems to have a good record with grizzlies, as long as you aren't spraying into the wind.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    Be certain to learn proper techniques for use of pepper spray. Don't spray it at someone coming directly toward you, pivot and push them sideways as you spray. You don't want them knocking you down and dripping pepper spray in your face. Cans should be shaken weekly to keep the contents from settling and not dispensing correctly. Test monthly with a short spray outside into a garbage can and checking for the pepper odor. Pay attention to the expiration date on the can. Knowing how to use it is as important as the strength of the contents.

Boolit Bub
    I will second the Kimber pepper spray "guns". You can find them most places - or online. But, they are basically single use, but work well. My daughter has carried and used it once....very effective.

Kimber +3

Boolit Buddy
    My department issued Sabre Red, however this past time I bought a new can, I chose Fox 5.3. there is a difference between OC and CS, in that the CS seems to affect the respiratory system more, and the OC is more the vision. Needless to say, they all stink to be sprayed with.
    Sometimes I think we make things harder than they have to be

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    What he said!