Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
StainLess Steel MediaMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersGraf & Sons

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Delta Dawn

  1. #1
    Boolit Master


    nagantguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    2,360

    Delta Dawn

    What do you think the meaning of the song Delta Dawn is? Me and my young beautiful pregnant girl ice have been debating on it from few days. Always loved the song and lots of people have had a hit with it including Tanya Tucker and Bett Midler . Our baby moves a lot when ever we are play the song so itís been played a lot lately. Anyhow I have an idea but what do you all think it might mean?

  2. #2
    Boolit Master
    Rick Hodges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Taylor, Michigan
    Posts
    1,126
    The song is about the songwriters mother, or so he says. Beautiful song, sad story.

    "Actually Alex Harvey wrote the song to honor his mother. She was not quite accepted by her husbands family.She had a problem with English and made fun of.
    She had a rough life which ended in suicide."

    http://www.chickensoup.com/book-stor.../13-delta-dawn
    Last edited by Rick Hodges; 06-26-2018 at 03:30 PM.

  3. #3
    Boolit Master

    gwpercle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    3,967
    Sometimes it's better to just enjoy a song for what it is.
    The real life story behind Delta Dawn was heartbreaking and sad , tragic for both of them.
    I had a gut feeling the song was about something with an unhappy ending but no idea it was this unhappy .
    Can you imagine telling your mom she can't go and coming home to find her dead ....then having to live with that !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables

  4. #4
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,955
    I always like that song but know it was a sad one and my mom love it also, the one by Helen Reddy. Thank you for the story behind it no matter how sad it is.I still did not change my mind on it and also remind me of my mom that had sang it when it would play.It was one of 3 of hers she like, She had past away in 2002 due to health problems. I was with her when she died and 2 of my sisters.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

  5. #5
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,955
    Here is the one by Helen Reddy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afsp7MU-nTI
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

  6. #6
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South Western Indiana
    Posts
    1,821
    Loved the song but when sitting in the dark drinking cheap whisky because of the things from where you had been, the delta was different
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

    Joel 3:10

  7. #7
    Moderator Emeritus


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SW Montana
    Posts
    9,956
    Borderline mental illness brought on by the self imposed trauma of a relationship that didn't work out.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

  8. #8
    Boolit Master
    lefty o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,556
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Here is the one by Helen Reddy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afsp7MU-nTI
    im a tanya tucker fan, but helen does it better.

  9. #9
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Lynn Ma
    Posts
    292
    Ditto MT Gianni.

  10. #10
    Boolit Master
    farmerjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Francisville, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,328
    I got to hear Helen Reddy sing it about 12 years ago at a concert here in St. Francisville. It sure has a haunting sound.
    There is no difference between communism and socialism, except in the means of achieving the same ultimate end: communism proposes to enslave men by force, socialismóby vote. It is merely the difference between murder and suicide. Ayn Rand

  11. #11
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    32
    Buy that was quite a song when I was young. It was on the Radio all the time. Sad story though

  12. #12
    Boolit Master

    jonp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Planet Reality
    Posts
    5,198
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Borderline mental illness brought on by the self imposed trauma of a relationship that didn't work out.
    Pretty much. "taking you to his mansion in the sky" should be pretty self evident.
    Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

    Bastiat

    Non nobis Domine,
    non nobis,
    sed nomini tuo da gloriam

    Crux Sacra Sit Mihi Lux

    Tu Ne Cede Malis

  13. #13
    Boolit Master
    GOPHER SLAYER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cherry Valley ,Ca.
    Posts
    1,942
    In the early 1970s I was visiting my sister who lived in Missouri. Her husband had bought a farm in Kentucky and she drove me over one day to help her feed some cattle. When we were done with feeding she said she wanted to show me something. We drove down a country lane and as we approached a farmhouse I saw a women standing by the mail box. I assumed she was waiting for the mail delivery but when we stopped she walked to our car, I had the car window down, the women bent over and said one word, " Preacher". I could tell by then that something was wrong with her. My sister drove away and told me the story. When this middle aged women was 19 a new preacher came to their church and the girl fell madly in love with him. Her fascination got so bad the young preacher was forced to leave. The girls mind snapped and never returned to normal. Everyday after breakfast she would go stand by the mailbox waiting for preacher to return or send her a letter. I was depressed and asked my sister why she took me there. She apologized. I asked what the girls family did in the winter and she told me they dressed the women in warm clothes. Since that happened I have seen other similar incidents. Very depressing. I could tell you of another incident in Long Beach, California but I am tired of typing.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

  14. #14
    Boolit Bub
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    32
    This is quite an interesting thread. Glad I got a note in earlier

  15. #15
    Moderator Emeritus


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SW Montana
    Posts
    9,956
    Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    In the early 1970s I was visiting my sister who lived in Missouri. Her husband had bought a farm in Kentucky and she drove me over one day to help her feed some cattle. When we were done with feeding she said she wanted to show me something. We drove down a country lane and as we approached a farmhouse I saw a women standing by the mail box. I assumed she was waiting for the mail delivery but when we stopped she walked to our car, I had the car window down, the women bent over and said one word, " Preacher". I could tell by then that something was wrong with her. My sister drove away and told me the story. When this middle aged women was 19 a new preacher came to their church and the girl fell madly in love with him. Her fascination got so bad the young preacher was forced to leave. The girls mind snapped and never returned to normal. Everyday after breakfast she would go stand by the mailbox waiting for preacher to return or send her a letter. I was depressed and asked my sister why she took me there. She apologized. I asked what the girls family did in the winter and she told me they dressed the women in warm clothes. Since that happened I have seen other similar incidents. Very depressing. I could tell you of another incident in Long Beach, California but I am tired of typing.
    Some of that thinking comes from an era or setting where a young woman believed she had only one shot at a marriage.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

  16. #16
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,189
    Mental illness is heartbreaking, especially in a young person like that. I have a relative going through something of a similar nature, and it's heartbreaking and exhausting to try to deal with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check