MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Spanish M43 Mauser.

Spanish M43 Mauser.

Hey guy's , I own a Spanish mod 43 mauser ( Airforce " edition" ) chambered in 8mm my question is , are these M98 actions and therefore have the same capabilities as the 98 or are the just " based " on the 98 action?.

I also have a nice FR8 Spanish which I believe to be the M43 's baby, only this time converted to 7.62 x51.

Please put me straight if i'm wrong about this and , yes Google is your friend but i'm feeling lazy today so I thought I would ask first and google later,, lol.

Sorry wrong dept, please move to Military if needed..
    Last edited by gavlan; 06-26-2018 at 01:53 PM.
    Keep breathing , it's good for ya...

Yes, the Spanish '43 Mauser is a '98 Mauser and suitable for conversion to any caliber for which the German-made version is suited for. I have a .308 Win. built on a '43 Spanish action, and an "as-issued" '43 made at La Coruna.

If your FR8 is a 43 there's no problem with it being a .308, but examine it closely to assure that it didn't really start life as a '93 Mauser, as the Spanish converted both '43s and '93s to the FR8 pattern. Many of the FR8 pattern rifles were sold in the U.S. including the '93s in .308, and have been used successfully by their owners, but in the case of the '93 version you're using older metallurgy; and there's a distinct difference between the 7x57mm cartridge that they were designed for and the .308, not to mention the absence of the third safety lug found on the '98 action. Still, I have never heard of one failing.

One last thing that would make me edgy about using the '93 version is that the 7.62mm cartridge as originally used in Spain was a bit less powerful than the NATO version, which they later also adopted, commonly known as the CETME version, so if I had the '93 version of the FR8 I'd load them down a bit.

wasn't the FR7 built n the weaker 93 actions, maybe ?.
    Mine is marked La Coruna also, nice rifle but beware of skinning your **** knuckles when operating the bolt ,, those rear aperture sights ( which I like btw) are a bit of a curse.
    A solution would be a bent bolt handle but hey it is what it is , isn't it ???.
    Der Gebirgsjager

You're probably correct about FR7 vs. FR8, my ignorance/mistake. I do know that Spain converted both '93 and '43 rifles to that rather odd pattern. From what I've read it was in anticipation of changing over to their CETME rifle and the FRs were for training purposes. Doesn't really make sense to me, and since they're shorter and lighter I think they were probably made just to have a more convenient rifle. I know that the Guardia Civil used them and some of them bear their insignia on the receiver ring. Either way, they're kind of an improvement over the original full length pattern. I've never owned one, but those who have them seem to like them and the price has sure gone up from the original import prices.

Your observation about straight bolt handles is astute. I've never really understood why anyone made them straight to begin with, but no matter the reason most nations purposely did so, with the exception of the British Lee Enfield, and the U.S. Krag.

This brings to mind that I have another La Coruna '43 out in the shop from about 20 years ago. A fellow came in and ordered a custom sporter made from the '43. I had previously made a nice '96 Swede Mauser sporter for his wife and been well paid, so I got right to work on his project and altered the bolt with a new handle that would clear a proposed scope. No payment was ever forthcoming and he never returned, so work ended and it's in a box. Probably should finish it up sometime.

Yes I wondered about the thinking behind the " training " rifle deal with the FR8 because when you look at the Cetme and the FR8 there really is no comparison except the caliber they were chambered for ,,, huh!.
    Finish that 43 project up and I bet you would have a very nice shooter ,, what was that fella thinking just ditching the project and leaving you hanging, oh well life happens and all good intentions sometimes disappoint one person or the other.
    love my Krag sporter and my Ishapore 2A1 isn't too shabby either , bent bolt handle praise going on here.,lol.
    THX Der G.

going out back now to scratch an itch my trigger finger has ..