Inline FabricationADvertise hereLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Graf & SonsStainLess Steel Media

Thread: Poor grouping with my Lee 124 gn lrn cast boolits

Boolit Man

Poor grouping with my Lee 124 gn lrn cast boolits

I'm trying to tighten up my groups in my 995TS 9mm carbine.

I powder coat and then resize to .356, but the groups are not very tight. I'm using 4.0gns of Bullseye. Any suggestions on how to tackle the issue?

the 9mm is a tapered case and very easy to over crimp. a lot of 9mm problems are people are crimping down the diameter of the boolit.
    have you slugged your gun to see if .356 is big enough?

You need to slug your barrel to determine the groove dia. My Springfield armory EMP pistol in 9mm did not have good accuracy using .355 or .356 dia. boolits. slug the barrel and the groove dia. was .356. I went to using 125 gr. boolits made for the 38 special-357 mag. at a dia. of .357 and accuracy improved greatly.

Boolit Master

+1 on the 9mm being sized to .357. For my Beretta 92F, 1918 Luger and 1941 Luger pistols; they shoot wide groups at .356; and tighten up to be very accurate at .357 using the exact same Lee Mold.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I have a 995TS 9MM carbine. I reload for several different 9MM's of various makes in my family. I size all my 9MM boolits to .358 and I have not personally seen a 9MM that didn't like a .358 dia. boolit . My Lee 9MM molds will luckily size to .358 or they'd be long gone. Having said that, let me say that my 995TS while 100% reliable with all my ammo is obviously picky about what boolit and load it likes for best accuracy. I tried Lyman 358242 (120 gr) and 356402, the Lee 356-120-TC and 356-125-2R with various powders and loads. The Lee 356-120-TC over Promo 3.8 gr. is the clear winner at 50 yds while other combinations had various degrees of success/disappointment. I must say that the Lee 356-120-TC is definitely not my first choice for pistol accuracy. You are going to have to figure out what your weapon likes best.....that's the fun of it.

Boolit Man
    Thanks everyone. My mold drops them right at .356 and they slide through the sizer with little effort. I may powder coat some and not size them to get a better fit. I have slugged all my other guns, so I guess I need to do that too.

Boolit Man
    .358 seems to be the size that works the best for my 9mm loadings. I don't really bother slugging the bore on any new 9mm I get anymore, I just check to make sure my OAL is good for reliable feeding and keep using the .358 boolits