WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Advise on front sight height for GPR

Advise on front sight height for GPR

I recently purchased a GPR in 54 cal. and it shoots great! I can even get it to group. I am however not the biggest fan of the buck horn sights. They work but I prefer and peep sight and red dot, like these...
    fire sight..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	276026.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	222685
    and the 57GPR..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	726378.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	222686

The problem I am having is I do not want to fart around with getting the wrong height front sight.

Any body have a idea on a good height for the front sight?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry I can't be specific on your question, but I recently gave up the iron sights and bought the Lyman GPR Peep and WHAT a DIFFERENCE!!!! I retained the factory front sight blade

My old eyes didn't want to see the same sight picture each shot so accuracy varied with the buckhorn, even the adjustable one comes with their "kit".

I finally started having shots touching with the peep! At 50 yards, too (which at 70 is my distance limit with any type iron sight)

I even tried some REAL bullets I'd cast and I had both 250s and 320s... the first 250 was quite low, so someone had told me that often the 1:60 twist rate might...MIGHT require a bit stouter load so I bumped to 75 from 70 (used for PRBs) of Swiss 3f and walla...two touching at 50...the 320's didn't fare quite as well but require further testing...

Before I fiddled with sights (not being an expert in all this) I'd play with loads some and see what you can accomplish.

Good luck!

Boolit Master
    I'd just get a low sight, 1/2"? And the Lyman rear sight adjusts low.

Thanks for the advice guys, Rompin Ruger and charlie b! I will see what the front sight sits at, low, and go from there sense it sounds like it works with the 57gpr set low. Current load I have been able to get a 2 -3" group at about 50 yards, off hand not at a bench. Plan on using a bench to sight in the peep, just to take out some human error. I know it is not as popular but I really have been liking the FFG triple seven.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Brownell's has a sight height chart, or you can call their gunsmith and ask. The receiver sight gives you a lot of leeway, anyhow.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

For lower sight start with a .375 and up to 410 will give you plenty of adjustment.

Boolit Master
    Glad you like the triple 7. I had trouble with hangfires and the crud ring so I went back to Pyrodex. I usually use RS Select.

This was the three round group I shot this morning. I think the rifle will make cloverleafs. I just cannot see the sights and target well enough to do any better than this.

Thanks for all the advise!! In a few weeks I post up some results. I have a 2 year old so its harder to sneak out and shoot than it use to be. But soon enough he will want to go too.

Boolit Master
    I think it was mentioned before but you really should play around with your loads first before changing the sight. Just the other day, I was shooting a .40 caliber and found that a little heavier charge shot a little lower. Something to do with it getting out of the barrel quicker before the recoil caused the gun to rise higher. Seemed pretty consistent with this gun. Just a thought. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the input on the loads. I have actually "played around" with different loads. powder charges, round ball, mini ball. Even different size round balls 530 and 535. This rifle has been shot quite a bit. I am able to get it to group which is good because that tells me I can get a grouping. At the end of the day I just want better sights and will end up shooting a bunch of loads again and see what is best for the sights that I want to use and then I will stay on that load.

I really do appreciate all the input. Castboolits is the best!

Well life with a toddler and 3 months later I finally got to go shoot the new sights. Installed the sights, front fire sight and rear GPR Lyman peep, not really paying attention to much besides starting them centered. With that said I took the first shot close, 25 yrd-ish, just to make sure I was on the paper. First shot was 1/2 from center. Ok that's a good sign. Stepped it back to about 75 yards. Got a 4 shot 2" group just below center. This is with round ball and 90 GR FFG 777. I am still liking the 777 too. So ran out of time on this project to fuss around with elevation but its good enough for now. It wont get used till next year hunting season unfortunately.