Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Lyman 358156, the Ray Thompson bullet

Boolit Bub

Lyman 358156, the Ray Thompson bullet

My S&W Model 19 has worked it's way to the front of my safe. Nostalgia is calling for some loads from Skeeter's era. I no longer cast and need to find a source for the Ray Thompson bullet from the Lyman 358156 mold.

I'd rather have some from casters from this forum, but will consider commercial sources.

Any help is appreciated.

Banned
    You'll have to troll all the boolit companies on the web. It's a good boolit but is the prize really worth the quest ?

How many are you looking for? Do they need to be lubed and GC'd?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    These are the non-GC version. I have the same MeHic mold and it throws an excellent bullet. GT has them in both HP and solid.

http://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?m...k686v672j5d232

...and here is the original with the GC...

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...5gr-swc-gc-dc/

Bob

Moderator Emeritus

To many have seen the feds reach and their opinion that cast bullet sales require a 06FFL. I would stick with Montanabulletworks.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I found a nice 358156 on gunbroker-- cost me a whopping $40. They're out there, but you have to look for them.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

I haven't fired up the 10-cavity H&G .38 SWC in a while but may be willing to help a fella in my area. I have a request in for the MiHec slick sided version of the RCBS which will make most everything else I cast with nearly obsolete. It is a waiting list, though.....
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Bub
    When that 10 cavity gets going I expect it's fun to see that pile grow quickly.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    I found a nice 358156 on gunbroker-- cost me a whopping $40. They're out there, but you have to look for them.
    Lyman still makes this mould . And NOE makes a nice copy with their 360-160-SWC (GC)
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin356 View Post
    You'll have to troll all the boolit companies on the web. It's a good boolit but is the prize really worth the quest ?
    IME, Yes. In 357 Magnum, it has been my most-used bullet design. Lyman #358430 (195 RN) is a distant second, and a Group Buy round flatnose gas check of 180 grains is a more distant third, that mostly in the rifles. It has been accurate from 1000 to 1550 FPS in handguns, and stays accurate past 1900 FPS in the rifles. These more powerful loads are well outside current SAAMI specs, and even Doug Wesson might grimace a bit--but primer pockets remain tight, and brass life seems unaffected. LSS Carnauba Red is required after about 1350 FPS; Alox/BW falters once past about 1400 FPS, bullets go galley-west. God help any J-frame S&W or repro spaghetti Win 1873 that digests any of these; Ruger Blackhawk and Henry Big Boy ONLY.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    you might try ebay i see them there all the time thats where i got mine.

Boolit Master
    I've had one of those Ray Thompson design's for many years & it's a dandy bullet. Gave some to a local cop who had never taken a deer with a handgun before & he was all smiles about a week later using 14 grs of 2400 in a 357 magnum case & a strong Ruger six gun. I powder coat all my bullets the last few years.

Dick

Boolit Master

I have a single cavity Lyman HP in that mould. It is one great shooting round. I may have a few I could part with, cast a bunch and lubed them with some sticky alox based lube.

Boolit Master

I've seen the BULLETS from MONTANA BULLET WORKS. They are truly works of art. I could cast 1000 from my old 2cav & 4cav moulds to come up to match the 100 my friend bought to try.
    The #358156 is the very BEST BULLET for a strong hot load in .357Mag, I've put over 50,000 thru my NM Blackhawk in the last 45+yrs.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub
    Looks like gtbullets and Montana Bullet Works are gonna fix me up just fine. Thanks to all you guys for valuable input. Just as I expected.

Boolit Master
    I found that mold in my collection. I remember early in my casting, the bullets came out fine but the Lyman gas checks were a nightmare to put on. Now, with better equipment, I am going to give it another show. Prefer the 170 gr bullet.
    Leadmelter
    MI