Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Been trying the newest Linux Mint Operating system

Boolit Buddy
    Question for all the Linux gurus - i have an old laptop running i think Windows xp - started having problems and no horsepower to upgrade OS. Do I need to make an image of the disc before trying to install Linux on it? Do I need to make it dual bootable or what - I dont want to lose any files I may still have on that laptop. I have not played with OS on puters in probably 15 years so I dont want to make that computer completely unusable due to having just enough knowledge now to be extremely dangerous.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Anyone know of a good app to partition drives from inside Mint?
    Open a terminal window, type: sudo apt-get install gparted

It will ask for your password, then install gparted. Great partition editor..
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rdwarrior View Post
    Question for all the Linux gurus - i have an old laptop running i think Windows xp - started having problems and no horsepower to upgrade OS. Do I need to make an image of the disc before trying to install Linux on it? Do I need to make it dual bootable or what - I dont want to lose any files I may still have on that laptop. I have not played with OS on puters in probably 15 years so I dont want to make that computer completely unusable due to having just enough knowledge now to be extremely dangerous.
    You could copy all the important files or go to youtube and search for hard drive replacement for your model, get a new SSD drive and install it, save your entire XP drive and use a USB/HDD cable to interface it in times that you want access to it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Logged into Mint last night after moving it to its home and plugging in the Lan.

Gparted great tool. Was able to do a search and find and install it painlessly.

But before taking irrevocable steps I decided to run with it a bit as it is.

Soon as I logged into Firefox all my bookmarks, saved loggins were there.
    Fired up Youtube and she is quick and sweet with no issues at all.

Flawless.

So if nothing else it will sit there and let me play Youtube vids while I am casting/reloading.
    That is good enough.

Boots quick, no real issues. Later today we'll try out their version of Minecraft. See how that flys.

Overall, I am impressed. Linux has made big strides since I last tried it. Big strides.

Vendor Sponsor

Yes i find linux mint 19 to be very fast. Web pages just jump now instead of waiting 5- 10 seconds waiting for one to load.
    The huge reduction of viruses is a plus along with thr elimination of windows spying.
    Thunderbird email is super quick as well.
    So far i am pleased
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Can I install Linux on my fairly new desktop with Win 10 easily? I don't like drama on a computer.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Vendor Sponsor

Yes there are several ways to do it.
    I chose the simplist (to me) and reversable if i did not like it.
    Assuming you have a dvd drive or USB port and your computer bios can be set to boot from the dvd drive or USB first.
    Get you a clean dvd disc or USB stick
    Go to windows 10 make a bootable dvd or USB
    Go to linux.com
    Download the mint cinnamon 19 ISO file from one of the listed sites. This will probably take a while depending on your download speed so be prepared to wait.
    Now the easy part set bios to boot to dvd first
    Load dvd in drive .. Restart computer
    It will load linux in a test mode .
    Try it out .. Make sure printer, drives sound ect all work.
    If happy click link to load linux to your hard disc and follow promps.
    Enjoy
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 07-07-2018 at 09:00 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Joe Clarke View Post
    Can I install Linux on my fairly new desktop with Win 10 easily? I don't like drama on a computer.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

The easiest way is to disconnect your windows drive, go to walmart or best buy and get a 120gb or 256gb SSD (solid state drive) and install Linux Mint to this drive. After you install it you can reconnect your windows drive and use the F8 key at boot to bring up a boot menu that will let you choose which drive to boot from.

This way Linux and Windows can both be used independently on the same machine, and they won't fight each other. Dual booting works, but to be honest if something goes wrong, and eventually it will, it makes it much harder to repair or recover. Windows is so self-medicating these days, it keeps a hidden partition for system restore, it basically fixes itself for the most part, and Linux can sometimes have problems with these partitions as they will be visible to Linux.

The best part of doing it this way will be that Windows cannot read the Linux file system, so windows cannot break Linux!!!!
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-07-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

DougGuy sounds like a great solution as well

Boolit Grand Master

Desktops make things a lot easier. My laptop has a SSD and regular hard drive in it. But Windows boots from the SSD and the other hard drive is where everything else is. Don’t want to wipe one or the other out just yet. Even w/ backups of everything.

Vendor Sponsor

A NOTE ON UPGRADING LINUX MINT TO 19....

I would HIGHLY ADVISE any Linux Mint users interested in upgrading to visit THIS PAGE https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2416 and CAREFULLY reading and following the instructions to check to see if Linux Mint 19 is ready to upgrade YOUR system before you casually assume it is safe to install the new one.

There are some widespread issues with MESA 18.0.5 that will BREAK the update, they are working on this problem as it is well documented and reported, give them time to find a solution and PLEASE RE-RUN the Mintupdate Check utility before upgrading!

Those who are downloading Linux Mint 19 as an .iso image, burning it to USB stick (I use Etcher, a free and painless USB writer!) and doing a clean install on non partitioned drive should not have these issues..

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    A NOTE ON UPGRADING LINUX MINT TO 19....

I would HIGHLY ADVISE any Linux Mint users interested in upgrading to visit THIS PAGE https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2416 and CAREFULLY reading and following the instructions to check to see if Linux Mint 19 is ready to upgrade YOUR system before you casually assume it is safe to install the new one.

This is an all too common problem with Linux distributions like Mint and Ubuntu, or any that push regular upgrades.....things break. Sometimes because of bugs, sometimes because the upgrade was pushed out too soon. I would suggest checking the website before a major upgrade to make sure there are no issues going on.

Really, with a hard drive install, you can bork it really good with a bad upgrade and usually the easiest fix is to rip it out and start again. Not me, thanks, I don't worry about constant upgrades.....and I'll say it again, Linux ain't Windows, you don't have to upgrade everytime you boot the thing up.

I upgrade only for security fixes, if it's running good, then leave it be. There's usually not a huge benefit in upgrades anyway. When a new version of the distro I use is released, I just install it alongside my current one, get it running right, and migrate my stuff to it.

Boolit Buddy
    I seriously cannot believe that Mint doesn't ship with Gparted. The distro I run is a 300 meg download and ships with Gparted. Mint is something like 1.5 - 2 gigs.

That's a major difference in size and it just boggles my mind, that you have to install a decent partitioning manager after you download that much.

Well I spent about 3 hours yesterday moving the laptop to its new home, plugging it into the lan.

Instantly negotiated connection and Youtube was off and simply FLYING.

Never saw a single second of that circular "loading" indicator. Video's just RAN. No runs, no skips, no errors, no time outs, no strikes, no outs.

Perfect performance.

Then I copied several of my old MP3 cd's to the music folder. Ran those flawlessly also. Had to download some dependancy's to get media player to work but it sorted itself with no need from help from me except a password and an ok to do this.

Loaded some of my old wallpapers, and grabbed a few new. Nice, simple system, easy to do.

Used software manager to download Minecraft. Now I just need to figure out where it is and how to launch it.

But, overall, one more day in, no major hiccups. Runs 10x faster that windoze 10 ever did. Considerably snappier than 8.1 even.

I'll find some more questions on this road I'm sure down the line. But I don't see anything being a deal breaker here.

I am in no rush to upgrade to mint 19 at this point.

I will say that downloading the .iso and burning it to CD was dead easy. (Thank you IMGburn)

Booting from CD takes longer to load, and I don't think it saves much. But it is an easy risk free way of trying it before committing to it.

The install itself is dead easy.

Once installed boots are very quick. But mostly I have just been shutting the lid. Open up click the mouse, put in password and hey presto ready for most anything.

Boolit Buddy

If I was installing for the first time, I'd grab a USB stick and install to it with some program in XP. Then set the bios to boot from the USB first and if the install is good, you can try Linux, you might like, or hate it. But there's basically no risk to XP....most problems are caused by doing things you shouldn't do in the XP partition from Linux. I wouldn't write files to the XP partition as I have had problems years ago with corruption.

Then, if you find you like Linux, as DougGuy mentions, you can grab another SSD and install from the USB stick. There are usually no problems setting up a dual boot, but there are also no guarantees against problems. Just cause it's never happened to me, doesn't mean it won't happen to you, or anyone else.

I notice from the thread that Mint apparently doesn't mount other partitions on boot, this is not true of all Linux distributions, and it's something to be aware of when you have XP, or whatever on another partition.

Boolit Bub
    Linux Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu so the drivers are the same. I like Mint better but would not feel abused if I went back to Ubuntu.

Semper Fi

Doc Olive

Vendor Sponsor

Let me impart a GOOD lesson here.. Many years ago, before Windows got so hoity toity and fancy, hardware was a major concern to those who were system builders and system integrators, I learned a little nugget.. I used to use nothing but Abit motherboards, so I learned to go to the Abit forum, and just scroll the topics, if there was a chipset or motherboard that was particularly problematic or difficult to get working right, there were usually lots of posts concerning this model motherboard, and I learned to avoid using those, as some of these things come out half baked and they use their customer base and the forum to beta test! Yes you paid for the hardware then you complained about it not doing certain things, yada yada, and you were doing Abit a HUGE favor posting the ills of their hardware so their driver writers and engineers could refine their products....

Now.. About the "nugget" in discussion. I would look at a motherboard on fleabay, then immediately head over to the Abit forum and scroll the topics looking for this model board there. I would buy the boards that DID NOT have any posts on them, because this meant no one was having issues with them! Guess what? SUCCESS!!! YAY!! A bug-free system and a flawless install and got a machine running it's little behootie off and stable as a rock...

Fast forward to July 2018, apply the same logic to Linux Mint 19, and just scroll the topics posted on the Linux forum here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=46

Sadly, well over half of the topics are some complaint about Linux Mint 19, it seems to have a LOT of issues, not just limited to the MESA 18.0.5 issue that breaks the upgrade from 18.3. Apparently even clean installs of LM19 are fraught with problems of one kind or another. YMMV...

Does any one know how it does with Land Desktop 2004 or even some of the old ACAD 13 based programs like Eagle Point Site design?
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123